Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun ar

3djedi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like should I buy a base model and build on it or go for something mid level that has everything that's needed. I am a pistol shooter and have been doing uspsa limited for a couple years and want to try 3 gun. I have very limited knowledge of ar's. I don't want to make a mistake with my first ar purchase!

Check with your local club and see what distance you will be shooting out to. If 200 and less you should be fine with a 1x optic, if more than that may want to look into a scope. Depending on your budget there are a million ways to go. Stag 3Gs are nice and not too expensive, but you should be able to search around and get rifles of equal quality for that same price.

I think the Stag 3G or Doublestar 3G rifles are great. Add an optic, and you're ready to shoot and have a solid platform to customize for later. But, everyone likes to talk rifle, and show pics of their custom this and that, however plan to spend just as much on your shotgun as your AR WITH optics. Rifle is going to run, cheap shotgun, not so much. JMHO

The Stag 3G is a great rifle to start out shooting with. Two options is buy the whole rifle, but if you don't like the stock and/or trigger. Just buy the upper and swap the comp. Then build a lower with the stock and trigger you like.

Then add your optics for what ever range your local matches are.

On one other note, do not sell your Edge,(unless it's a extra just laying around). Even the 40 cal Edge makes one of the best 3 gun pistols you can shoot.

Thanks guys. What attributes should I be looking for in a quality rifle? I see ar's ranging from $699 up to $2500 at my LGS. I want a quality rifle that will take some abuse.

I've seen many forums bashing dpms but not much specifically on why to avoid them. All they say is they are junk. Well, why are they junk? However, a lot of professional reviews say they are good for the money. What are your opinions on DPMS like the tac 2 or that 3g version 2?

You can piece together a lower these days for about $150-$200 and have it set up reasonably well. MagPul stock and grip, milspec lower build kit, Anderson lower. Quality uppers can be found at Bravo Company, Palmetto State Armory, JSE Surplus, etc from $400 up depending on how you want it. What type of sights you want to run will dictate what division you will be in. If you want a 1-? power scope, TacOps. 1x or irons will put you in TacIrons. Go to a match and ask questions to local shooters, they'll be able to cover things more in depth.

in my case, i like tinkering an figuring how things work, so I went the build my own route, allowing me to do a no compromise build from the get go. If you are not inclined to build your own, decide what is important to you and then research here what is the "typical" recipe for a 3gun AR. During my research I boiled down to in order of importance:

1. trigger - this is like the wheel of the car, your main interface with your rifle

2. barrel - 1:8 rifle gas system as light as possible 18", hey there are some also running 16" mid for faster transition

3. compensator - tame recoil

4. adjustable gas - means of tuning to bullet load

5. furniture - hand guard, grip, and buttstock of your preference

I did not sweat the upper, lower or parts kit, those are mostly standard. Later on you can add any other performance parts - low mass bolt carrier group, low mass buffer, etc.

So look at your candidate rifles specs and match to you preferences.

I am sticking to tac optics, so I have just a red dot, but most local matches are close range, within 100 yards.

Thanks guys. What attributes should I be looking for in a quality rifle? I see ar's ranging from $699 up to $2500 at my LGS. I want a quality rifle that will take some abuse.

I've seen many forums bashing dpms but not much specifically on why to avoid them. All they say is they are junk. Well, why are they junk? However, a lot of professional reviews say they are good for the money. What are your opinions on DPMS like the tac 2 or that 3g version 2?

The tacticool AR guys ride the DPMS because the early versions had issues. The newer DPMS guns are a solid as most manufacturers. In fact DPMS makes parts for many "upper tier" guns (or so I've heard). I run a DPMS with THOUSANDS of issue free rounds, and it's factory 16" barrel shoots 1 MOA groups with Walmart Federal 55gn .223 bulk packs.

You'll want a low profile gas block, and as long of a free-float guard as you can install.

You'll want a great trigger. Mine is a JP, but others shoot Geissele, Timney, etc.

You'll want a good comp. There are plenty to choose from up to $300, but many shoot the $50 Mickulek and love it.

Stocks are personal choice. If most of your matches are shorter shots and a lot of sprinting and spraying, choose a lighter collapsable. If you'll be facing 300-400 yard shots... the fixed stocks rule.

Optics are based off distances too. All the matches I shoot are inside 150-200yards, with LOTS of close in (<20yd) shots. I run an EoTech! If you need to shoot a lot of shots past 200, go with a good variable power optic (which will run you $400+).

JW

Yea DPMS run just fine. You can spend a ton on AR's or you can go cheap That said, you get low price, accuracy and longevity. You can only pick 2... I've heard JP barrels will go 30000 rounds where I have shot out bushmaster and colt barrels in less than 8K... A JP will run you $700+, where a criterion, DPMS, CWPSA ect. are around the $200 ish range.

Brian Nelson (shooter at our club, and junior champ) did a write-up on the topic! Take a look at his review of the current "3 gun" models offered by the major companies. I am in no way responsible for what he says if you disagree, just thought I'd share a review of a few of them!!

Edited by zachvu

The tacticool AR guys ride the DPMS because the early versions had issues. The newer DPMS guns are a solid as most manufacturers. In fact DPMS makes parts for many "upper tier" guns (or so I've heard). I run a DPMS with THOUSANDS of issue free rounds, and it's factory 16" barrel shoots 1 MOA groups with Walmart Federal 55gn .223 bulk packs.

You'll want a low profile gas block, and as long of a free-float guard as you can install.

You'll want a great trigger. Mine is a JP, but others shoot Geissele, Timney, etc.

You'll want a good comp. There are plenty to choose from up to $300, but many shoot the $50 Mickulek and love it.

Stocks are personal choice. If most of your matches are shorter shots and a lot of sprinting and spraying, choose a lighter collapsable. If you'll be facing 300-400 yard shots... the fixed stocks rule.

Optics are based off distances too. All the matches I shoot are inside 150-200yards, with LOTS of close in (<20yd) shots. I run an EoTech! If you need to shoot a lot of shots past 200, go with a good variable power optic (which will run you $400+).

JW

My experience with DPMS comes from being an armorer for the department I work at that issues them. They can be fixed up and parts swapped out to make then run acceptably. But after what I have experienced I would never trust one from the box ever. We have had about a 20% failure rate with rifles coming from the factory needing attention before they would run. The most pain in the rear part is generally their chambers. They are often marked 5.56 but in reality are way tighter than that causing ejection and feeding problems. The other issues are a simpler fix but the barrel issues require the guns to be sent in which is costly from Alaska. That said DPMS is very affordable. It all comes down to you get what you pay for. When something costs less that generally means less time and effort and lower quality materials went into the product. About half of our officers carry their own personally bought patrol rifles including me. The trust is not there. Now for three gun with a shooter who is willing to tinker and has the ability to replace parts then its not as critical and can even be a fair entry level choice. That said I would recommend Stag over DPMS any day. Not that much more and in my experience their quality is a lot better.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

My experience with DPMS comes from being an armorer for the department I work at that issues them. They can be fixed up and parts swapped out to make then run acceptably. But after what I have experienced I would never trust one from the box ever. We have had about a 20% failure rate with rifles coming from the factory needing attention before they would run.

What size department?

Sample size? (How many rifles?)

I think what I'm looking for is more of a do all ar not specifically a game gun. One that I could use for home defense, zombie apocalypse, 3 gun, maybe hunting, or a mailman attack defense. Lol I heard the postal service is making a large ammo purchase for whatever reason! Would something like a daniel defense V4 work?

My experience with DPMS comes from being an armorer for the department I work at that issues them. They can be fixed up and parts swapped out to make then run acceptably. But after what I have experienced I would never trust one from the box ever. We have had about a 20% failure rate with rifles coming from the factory needing attention before they would run.

What size department?

Sample size? (How many rifles?)

2 departments 12 guns (20 man department) at the first one and 6 guns at the current one (10 man department). Plus all the issues I have seen at training with DPMS guns from other departments. Such as 3 years back when we hosted a downed officer training and a few guys from another PD showed up with DPMS rifles. Neither of then would run through a magazine without malfunctions.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo