Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw vs. turn/draw time diff

danjordan78

Right at about .1 slower on the turn for me right now. I preload most of my weight on my right (strong) foot before the buzzer. When it goes off, I kick my left around in front of me while pivoting on the right and snapping my head to the target. The head snap is very important.

When it goes off, I kick my left around in front of me while pivoting on the right and snapping my head to the target. The head snap is very important.

Doesn't this put your left leg outside the shooting box? Assuming you are doing a toes touching rear fault line start.

I do a 90 degree pivot on my left leg, moving my right hip toward the target and then a 90 degree pivot on my right leg bringing my shoulders square to the target. Usually fire the first shot before the left foot touches the ground.

I shoot right hand. Pushing off with my left toes, as my head snaps (right) to the target, I pivot to the right, on my right heel. My right foot never leaves the ground.

It does not matter if your foot swings over the box / fault line, as long as it does not touch the ground, outside of the box, while your are shooting.

Edited by Reshoot

When it goes off, I kick my left around in front of me while pivoting on the right and snapping my head to the target. The head snap is very important.

Doesn't this put your left leg outside the shooting box? Assuming you are doing a toes touching rear fault line start.

I do a 90 degree pivot on my left leg, moving my right hip toward the target and then a 90 degree pivot on my right leg bringing my shoulders square to the target. Usually fire the first shot before the left foot touches the ground.

No, my left foot ends up in the shooting box. With the toes touching the rear fault line start, I touch the line with the toe of my cleats instead of standing on the line like I see lots of shooters do.

try and pivot on your week side heel that. brings me in the box.

Edited by juan

• 2 months later...

I need some work! Timed myself to determine the difference during dryfire practice last night and I was at least a full .5 slower on the turn. .4 was the fastest I could muster out of 20 or so tries.

I need some work! Timed myself to determine the difference during dryfire practice last night and I was at least a full .5 slower on the turn. .4 was the fastest I could muster out of 20 or so tries.

What are your draw times to begin with. facing down range it should be around a 1.0 or so in production at 10 yards. The biggest thing is getting your head turned and eyes on target. The body will follow the eyes

• 2 weeks later...

I preload my right foot and pivot indoors. Outdoors I do I smooth looking 3 pt spin to bring my legs around. During it my legs are moving, my gun is coming out, and my head is acquiring the target. I can't imagine trying to pivot in cleats.

.1-.3 ...why is it almost as fast ? I saw this in a match last week my turn and draw time was 1.28 vs .8-1 sec for normal. I guess neither is very important in the big picture ,but it still makes me think I'm wasting time in my normal draw. With all the added movement in a turn and draw I expected more of a diffrence. Although they are crying about gunfighter stances locally ,so I have to turn/ reposition a bit on most match draws. So you will let me run around with a loaded gun shooting stuff ,but it's too scary to let me start facing a target.

I don't recall having a big diffrence in accuracy between turn and draw ,and normal. Maybe .3 is a lot of time guess it's all relitive.

• 2 weeks later...

I was shooting a match a few years back and they had the el prez for the classifier. I was practicing my turn around before I shot and Ron Avery came over to me and said just turn around like you are going to get something out of your truck. Very good advice. Why make it complicated. Your just turning around. Keep it simple.

• 2 months later...

Usually I'm .2 slower. I use a real narrow stance, pivot my right foot and step around with the left (if that makes sense). For me it's all go to be determined whether I hook up on the grip or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I worked on draws today and averaged in the 1.3s with a couple in the 1.2s. Shot one El Prez at the end of the day and got a 1.64 first shot. I do a 'right face' of you are familiar with military drill, then I step over with my left foot.

I don't look very snappy in my video, I think the .3 second difference should be much less.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...