Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load 2 shell holders

Lead-Head

OK, I have some L4 belt mounted systems and have decided I cannot load quads as consistently as weak hand, or as fast right now.

I can throw 2 in pretty quick, but my shell holders are those made for quad loading and shells are too close together for the L2 method.

Question: What is sturdiest/best quality L2 system with best shell retention? I have researched several but cannot decide.

Edited by Lead-Head

Hey Brian, I mainly use the Chameleon L2 belt but also picked up the Carbon Arms SSLP8 Pinwheels to try quad loads. Struggling with learning the quads but can remove one holder & space out to hold 3 load 2s. Added flexibility until I master the Quads. Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Rock!

I have the carbon arms and the Tac Com, both are great options for load 2 . AP custom makes some real fancy ones, but i've found i can knock shells loose from those too easily .

I'm the same way with 4up , i can't reliably load those on the move, and tanking a quad load is a major f'up . I almost never tank a dual load

i've used the Carbon Arms FSL8, for L2 and I like them very much, only downside is that it had some sharp edges that stab my gut (need to lose few pounds), which was easy to fix with some sandpaper. I ran into the EZ8 from gunner solutions and ordered it couple of days ago, even though I have not seen any feedback on them here in BE. As soon as I get it, I'll post my thoughts on it. BTW, I only do weak hand L2, can't juggle 4 shells efficiently on one hand. Baby steps.

Brian,

Carbon Ams is a good product. I made my own though, I got tired of spending a bunch of money for shotshell widgets. Solidworks and a CNC helped.

Dan, you don't even want Brian to get near a hammer and punch. CNC is out of the question.

Brian,

Carbon Ams is a good product. I made my own though, I got tired of spending a bunch of money for shotshell widgets. Solidworks and a CNC helped.

Dan, you don't even want Brian to get near a hammer and punch. CNC is out of the question.

And you let him out with loaded guns?????

The FSL8 and EZ8 are and do work totally different from most of the other dual and Quad loaders but can simulate their load styles while also allowing the older single load techniques. Since I do not think they will ever go as fast as the mop clip hanger styles, they have been passed over by many shooters looking for the fastest thing available. Only time will tell if real world sh!+ will move equipment back to some middle ground position.

I agree with airborne101, the AP load 2's release the shells much easier and I can grab them faster as I am not as worried about pulling them out a certain way or at a specific angle like some of the others. The downside to that is that they aren't as secure for going prone etc... but I haven't run across a situation where that has been necessary, yet. I have the Taccom new 8up qualoads and they require a definite technique to pull the shells out ( top first etc...) but are much more secure at holding the shells. I also have an older Otto vest and you definitely have to be deliberate when grabbing the shells and pull a lot harder but you get used to the different techniques. As far as load 2, I can load the fastest with the AP's but if I can ever get the quaload's down I don't think you can beat a really fast quad load - but the fumble factor definitely goes up -

I have recently purchased a RAM Shell caddy for L2 from Brownells to try out. The shells are very close together which I suspect turns many folks off. But I find that they work well...especially since I don't have much real estate(29" waist) . It holds the shell very secure, but I have also not had any issues pulling them out. The 6 shell caddy takes up just a little bit more space than the AP 4x4. It also comes with Tek-Lok for less than $50.

post-24626-0-02687600-1391998095_thumb.j

I have recently purchased a RAM Shell caddy for L2 from Brownells to try out. The shells are very close together which I suspect turns many folks off. But I find that they work well...especially since I don't have much real estate(29" waist) . It holds the shell very secure, but I have also not had any issues pulling them out. The 6 shell caddy takes up just a little bit more space than the AP 4x4. It also comes with Tek-Lok for less than $50.

I used the Ram caddies most of last year but made one adjustment to them. I took a 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum bar and cut it the length of the retaining clips, Mounted it under the clips to raise the shells off the backer just a bit and that made the caddies much easier to load-2 from. I never had a problem with knocking a column of shells loose when grabbing either the first or second column.

I did just try the Invictus Practical caddies and think I'll be using them for a while now.