Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just starting out, need some suggestions

marshal

Greetings new friends.

Many years ago I was a PPC shooter. Now that I have retired from LEO and I have some free time wanted to do some shooting again (uspsa). I have purchased a 625JM as being that I started with the wheel gun I have always enjoyed shooting them. I am looking for A FEW SUGGESTIONS.

1. modifications to the stock gun and who do you recommend to do the work

2. Holster and moon clip holder and dealer for same

3. any other equipment recommendations?

I appreciate your time and wisdom and look forward to putting some rounds down range.

Marshal

I'm a new 625JM shooter as well. I'll answer based on what I've done so far:

1 - Cylinders chamfered, reamed and polished. This makes reloading smoother. I'm having a trigger job done one mine in the near future and having a local gunsmith do the work.

2 - Holster - Bladetech that I bought from Amazon. You'll find folks run everything from the bladetech like I have to full race holsters from CR Speed and Double Alpha.

2 - Moon clip holder - North Mountain 4 post from Shooters Connection. Another popular one is the James Austin moon clip server. I've never tried that one but they look pretty cool.

3 - I replaced the front sight with a Fiber Optic one from Protocall Design (forum vendor and GREAT guy) - http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=189

I'm sure the more experienced guys and gals will have lots of suggestions as well.

Edited by ZackJones

Here's my list:

1. Fiber optic sight is good. Get extra fiber, it's cheap.

2. Grips that fit you; I like Hogue rubber, but I'm considering grinding the finger grooves off of mine.

3. Action work and chamfer the cylinder. You'll get recommendations but the guy I used isn't doing it any more. Some stuff can be done yourself, depending on how handy you are.

4. Bladetech holster and North Mountain moon clip holders. I use a 4-post and a 1-post.

5. A good competition belt. I use a CR Speed.

6. Quality moon clips. I bought a hundred of the cheapest ones I could find when I started and I would have done better to just burn that money for all the pain they caused. You don't have to break the bank, but Ranch Products at the very least.

After that, make up some dummy rounds and start practicing your reloads!

Lots of good tips above!

2. Grips that fit you; I like Hogue rubber, but I'm considering grinding the finger grooves off of mine.

Good point,

I've always felt the finger grooves on the hogue grips were in the wrong spot, at least for me, makes me hold the grip way too low.

I love the (wooden) hogue big butt grips, fingerless.

It's not really the finger grooves I don't care for, it's the thickness of the rubber tang at the top. I grind that down so cases won't hang on them. Side note got a pair of Big Butt Rubbers (no finger grooves) and the moon clips don't hang up on them.

Better Rear Sight also, since Millets are hard to come by, I kind of like the tall factory. I think they're .196? My 627PC came with them and I don't intend on switching them.

It's not really the finger grooves I don't care for, it's the thickness of the rubber tang at the top. I grind that down so cases won't hang on them.

That's the reason I took mine off and have been using the stock wooden grip. Given that's it's raining today so there will be no shooting at the range for me it looks like I have a project for today :).

Re grip choice, from my experience, and hearing those of others, your reload style seems to be a significant factor. I reload strong hand - grip with right and drop in moons with right. So I prefer smooth, almost slippery grips so I can smoothly re-grip after the reload and even make some quick grip adjustments if need be. On my 627, I have used and liked the hogue no finger grooves and even had an "end cap"put on bc I think it made the grip a bit longer for my larger hands. I currently am using and liking JM's grips. And I also use the jm trick of a shake of corn starch on the hand to keep things dry and slick to battle heat/match-nerve related moistness.

And though I haven't reloaded weak hand, it seems those that do may be fond of grips that stick the gun better in your hand since you're pretty much retaining your grip during a reload - so finger grooves, rubber, checkering, grip tape...

Re the hogue big butt, great for going prone. Like a little wood tripod hanging off your gun. And they give you a big hunk to fill your hands if that feels right to you. I've used one for several years. (And the hogue's are consistent generous sponsors of the big ICORE matches I shoot.) ; )

Don't know if it's the same on the 625, but, as mentioned above, I've also sanded down the top part of the left side of the grip for clearance for moons jumping in and out.

So I'd say, find some round gun buddies who, like me, have tried several styles, and see if they'll dig them out of their shooting stuff and let you try them.

If you are willing to pay the price Nills Grips are very nice. They are available from Hobby Lobby. He stocks several models and will special order others. I have purchased several grips from him and got excellent service on special orders.

I reload the moons with the right hand and use the Hogue Rubber Grips or Rubber Big Butt. With major PF I just don't like the wood grips and even with the 627 I have better luck with the rubber grips. But it's all personal preferences and there is no right choice.

From the Guidelines, which are at the top of every page on the forum, and here.

Brian's Forums is not the place to resolve customer service issues or disputes you may have with a manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith, or individual.

So lets leave whatever issues you have with CR Speed out of this.

-Larry Drake

The Moderating Team

So lets leave whatever issues you have with CR Speed out of this.

-Larry Drake

The Moderating Team

Can I complain about the fact that my CR Speed rig keeps dumping my gun, when I don't pay enough attention? ;-)

Only if you pay a tax = to your body weight in hammer spurs.