Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 as an EDC?

3djedi

I EDC a full size 1911 and the most important thing you should do is find a holster that works for you. Not the easiest thing to do.

I use a Wilson Low Profile that I modified by adding Tuckable clips to. When I installed the clips I decided to raise the holster and add a bunch of forward cant to it. This allows me to sit fairly comfortably, including drive a car. Sitting down is the true test for an EDC holster in my book

The clips converted the holster to a tuckable IWB which is pretty much mandatory for carry while only wearing a tshirt which I do frequently.

It is placed on my belt so the slide is just behind my hip bone.

As for the guy who said it has to be a 5", not true at all. Commander size 1911's have more than proven themselves. I even fired a buddy's officer size frame that had a 4" slide that was an absolute tack driver.

Just be sure to practice with what you carry because if the crap hits the fan you will do your best with what you are most familiar with

Anyone have opinion on the sig nightmare fastback?

Sig has promotion going. Buy certain 1911's get a free 1911 22lr.

Cancel. I see from your other thread you bought a Gen4 G19?

Edited by enroute

Anyone have opinion on the sig nightmare fastback?

Sig has promotion going. Buy certain 1911's get a free 1911 22lr.

Cancel. I see from your other thread you bought a Gen4 G19?

Noooooooo. We lost another one.

• 1 month later...

I like metal but I think the Glock 19 is pretty much as close to perfection as there is for this purpose and I would choose it every time over a 1911

I also am a big fan of the PPQ trigger

If someone were to combine the best aspects of both that would be the perfect gun

PPQ ergonomics and trigger

Glock 19 size, magazines, and easy to find parts

I've not heard of anything other than the military pistol trials for recent tests (and they chose the Beretta and SIG), but the 1911, as I recall, made it's reputation in mud during WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Those should have been conditions far beyond anything we would see in a self defense situation.

If you are grappling with an adversary, it doesn't sound much like a gunfight anymore ...

Guy

What do you guys think of the SA EMP 9mm?

I have an EMP in .40 as a carry gun and it's great. Same controls and great trigger as a 1911 in a very shootable package, short and concealable.