Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Narrowed my search to Colt CR Expert vs Stag 3G - Opinions?

pmt

I've narrowed my search down to 2 rifles.

The Colt CR Expert:

Colt Competition Expert Semi-automatic AR 223 Rem 556NATO 18" Black Magpul MOE Match Trigger 1:8 Custom Colt Brake 30Rd Hogue Grip/Free Float Tube CRE18

CRE-18 EXPERT COMPETITION RIFLE

•Semi-auto centerfire .223 Rem •Features rifle length gas system & low profile gas block •Custom Colt muzzle brake •Hogue 12" knurled floating handguard •Precision fit forged upper & lower receivers •Flat top upper receiver w/ Picatinny rail •Proofed & MP inspected bolt •Badger Ordnance extended tactical latch on Colt competition charging handle •Nickle Teflon coated match trigger •Magpul MOE 4 pos. adjustable stock •Magpul trigger guard •Hogue grip •One 30 rd. Magpul mag included •1 year warranty •Test-fired for accuracy & function •Shipped w/ signed, serial numbered, dated test target & Safariland cleaning kit w/ custom CCR cleaning kit case •OAL:35" Col./38.25 Ext. •Brl: 18" •Rifling: 6 groove, button rifled, 1:8 RH twist •Wt.: 7 lbs.

or

The Stag Arms M3G:

Stag Arms LLC Model 3G Competition Rifle Semi-automatic 223 Rem 556NATO 18" Black Magpul ACS Samson Evo Rail/Geissele Trigger/3G Compensator Heavy Barrel Fluted 30Rd Flat Top SA3G

STAG ARMS MODEL SA3G - RH•Pre-ban •Forged aluminum upper •Stainless steel fluted heavy barrel w/1:8” twist •Standard safety •Stag Arms 3G compensator •Geissele Super 3 Gun (S3G) trigger •Magpul ACS buttstock & MOE pistol grip •Samson 15” Evolution free-float modular handguard w/three rail attachments •Lifetime warranty •Wt: 7.8 lbs. •Includes: magazine, plastic case & manualCal. Brl. Cap. 5.56 NATO 18'' 30

Both are essentially the same price ~$1250.

I've read that the Stag would benefit from a better compensator. I have a JP that I could attach.

The Stag has a Geissele S3G trigger.

The Colt just says Nickle Teflon coated match trigger. Anyone know what it is?

Any disadvantage to one vs the other?

I'm a USPSA 'C' class shooter relatively new to 3Gun. Mostly shooting club matches & the occasional larger match when I can get in. I'm not interested in buying & assembling components to get a better gun for the same money.

Thanks for any comments.

I just purchased the stag 3g changed to comp to a miculek comp for 50.00 and added a vortex optic.. Love the s3g trigger tested pull broke at 2.9 lbs very clean and crisp!! With the new comp the gun does not move at all when shooting and runs like a champ! I have never shot the colt I am sure they are a great gun too. But very happy with the stag!

I saw both at shot and both are really nice looking guns, but I bought a Stag 3G and am waiting for it now. I think either would serve you well. Colt does have a model with the Geissele (sic) trigger installed. Good luck and have fun. :)

I did my own build and last weekend a friend received his CRP-18. Met him at the range, and even after adjusting his rifle's gas, mine shot noticeably softer. But again, my rifle has JP low mass BCG, JP low mass rifle buffer, JP buffer spring, JP Adj GB and Carbon Arms 18" barrel. He is already looking at buying the BCG and buffer, which will add ~ $250 to his rifle "build". i built mine for less money too. One thing, the adjustable GB in the Colt rifle is excellent: no-tool adjustment. They should consider selling it aftermarket.

Two very comparable guns. If you tinker with loads a lot, Colt's gas system is so so nice and easy to use/change for different loads. If it came with the higher end trigger, this would be a no brainer. So it's a matter of switching the comp on the stag (zero dollars for you if you have the cooley JP comp) or switching the trigger on the Colt. Colt's comp is also very nice. Also, a sub-moa guarantee on the Colt is a plus. Anyway, food for thought. I don't envy your decision.

Two very comparable guns. If you tinker with loads a lot, Colt's gas system is so so nice and easy to use/change for different loads. If it came with the higher end trigger, this would be a no brainer. So it's a matter of switching the comp on the stag (zero dollars for you if you have the cooley JP comp) or switching the trigger on the Colt. Colt's comp is also very nice. Also, a sub-moa guarantee on the Colt is a plus. Anyway, food for thought. I don't envy your decision.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. The Colt does come with a better trigger - unfortunately the gun cost is $300 higher and they call it the 'Pro' instead of the 'Expert' I'm reloading my .223 but I'm not into too much tinkering or fine tuning, so the better gas block would be lost on me. It looks the the Stag with my JP comp will be my new gun. Time to start rolling all my loose change.

Both are great guns. No matter which one you buy you will eventually make some changes to either the comp, hand guard, trigger, grip, stock or all of them. It's inevitable! Changing stuff on AR's is what we do.

With that said I always recommend the Stag cause the sponsor me and because it's the most rifle out of the box for the least money up front.

Saving money up front will allow you to buy ammo, optics or save for that new component yore gonna want to try next offseason.

I have a Stag 3G and my father-in-law recently purchased the Colt Pro (not the expert). I was very impressed with the Colt. It shot under an inch with Winchester 55 gr white box, Freedom Munitions 62 gr soft point and my 75 gr Hornady handloads.

However, the Colt didn't do anything that my Stag couldn't do and the Stag does it for several hundred $$ less. The one thing you will have to do for the Stag is change out the comp. You can spend a little bit and get a Miculek that will do the job just fine or spend a little bit more and get a Rolling Thunder or a Titan and look a little bit cooler and (maybe) get the job done better.

In comparison of the Expert to the 3G, I think the 3G wins hands down.

• 2 months later...

I shot the colt cr at SHOT and it really was a nice shooting gun . Surprisingly well made and accurate. Changed how i look at colt rifles.

I'm not saying the colt isn't a great rifle but it's not made by the Colt company in Harford, CT it's made by Colt Competition in Texas under license from Colt.

Colt

http://www.colt.com/Contact.aspx

Colt Competition

http://www.coltcompetitionrifle.com/ContactUs.aspx

I'd guess the Colt Competition stuff actually gets more attention to detail than the mil spec Colt rifles do.

Oh yeah , sorry . I didn't specify . Colt Competition being a dif. Entity . The CR competition rifles seem to have much more attention to detail then the wobbly old colt spotters and mil spec rifles.

The one i shot was the 18 " fluted barrel with the geissle trigger and it was a solid rifle. I was pleasantly surprised at how soft it shot , but i can't speak to value for the dollar. I've just finished my 16" build so i'm hoping that will do well.

The Stag gun is fantastic as well. I've not shot it so can't speak to that, but i have fondled a few and they were also nicely made and tight. Great rail system. Though i'm partial to MI

I'd go with the Stag. Better rail and better trigger.

^^ this in a nutshell. You can buy a Stag and all you need is an optic and/or some iron sights. The Colt will still need a trigger at the very least.

I see this thread is back so I'll update. I bought the Stag 3G, installed a JP comp and a Primary Arms 1-6 scope. I shot the SMM3G in March - I need more practice at 300yds. Shoots 55gr bullets over 24.9gr Varget very well. I just need to learn to control my breathing during a match.

For the guys that have the stag are you getting 1 MOA?

I have a basic Stag Model 1 carbine. I tinkered with it cosmeticly, hacked on it, installed a Troy Battle Rail tube. It gets sub MOA, with my handloads. Stag is good stuff.

How are you liking the SD3g? I bought mine because everyone else had one-loved it after installing it and testing, but found the pull to be surprisingly creepy on long range targets. I remember thinking to myself "really?...really?" while keeping my sight picture on a 300 yard steel popper and waiting for the sear to disengage.

It's pretty nice on the close up stuff though.