Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme hammer installation...now safety doesn't work

cpa5oh

I'm probably going to end up sending this gun off to a gunsmith that works on these, but I took my shot at throwing some parts into the Stock 2 to see how good I could get the trigger.

After installing the Extreme hammer, my safety is no longer operable. With the hammer cocked, the safety leg of the sear is flush up against the safety "nub" that ordinarily would rotate to the rear of the gun to stop the sear from rotating forward when the trigger is pulled (with the safety in the off position...so there's no way for the safety nub to move to the rear of the gun.) It's as if the sear is rotated up on in the rear by the hammer and down in the front.

Anybody else install an Extreme hammer and have to deal with this? Feels like I have to be missing something...

Thanks!

I think this goes beyond being a "fitting" issue...when I cock the hammer, the sear leg for the safety does not rotate up and to the rear at all - I thought the sear leg would go up and to the rear to make room for the safety 'nub' to move to the rear and keep the safety in that rotated up and to the rear position. I'll try to post a picture tonight.

I can visualize what you're saying. The hooks are much shallower than stock on the new hammer, so the safety leg of the sear and/or the safety nub must be grind down to the point that the safety will engage. Just make sure this is the combination of parts you want in this particular gun, because if you're still changing things, you may need new parts.

Yes you need to re-fit the safety when you install the Extreme hammer because the platform in front of the hooks is much higher on the Extreme hammer. I was surprised how much material I needed to take off the safety leg.

You two are the best! I am in both of your debts...now I gotta figure out whether I have the balls to take the project on myself or send the gun out...if I could get the DA pull under 8#, the SA at 2.5#, and the reset shorter than a country mile I'd take this on and try it. Lemme see what I can do about those things and if I can get them done I'll go to work on the safety leg of the sear...

I successfully fitted the safety tonight based on your recommendations. I figured that if I screwed up the sear I'd just get the one piece sear...but I took material off of the sear leg that the safety gets in the way of and the safety now works. And the sear looks like it functions normally now (rather than looking like it was getting stuck when it was rotating forward.) Still have the 8# DA and 3.5# SA, but it certainly feels better with the Xtreme hammer properly installed.

I've got an interrupter for a CZ coming to try and get rid of the pre-travel in the SA mode. And then I'll get after the reset legs of the sear (looks like I might have two legs to deal with on this Stock 2, whereas there was only one with the Limited.)

I have the CGW gunsmith fit one that is coming...maybe it'll turn out I need to get the other, I don't know. I just figured that, if gunsmith fit, it'd probably work with fitting...we'll see what happens this weekend.

Yeah I knew the disconnector pin hole was going to have to be drilled out - the stock Tanfoglio one is very loose sitting inside the hammer, so I don't imagine that I have to have a perfect fit. Hoping it works out - it's enough trouble for me shooting a DA/SA gun, all that pre-travel in SA mode fouls me all up...I suppose I could get used to it, but I like to shoot alot of different guns so I don't get settled on one for years at a time...

• 1 month later...

You just shorten the top, left (when looking from the back of the gun, as you would when shooting it) leg until there is room for the safety to go all the way through its travel.

• 5 months later...

I just went through the same experience. A friend is trimming the sear leg for me. Now with this experience I will be able to do it myself if need be. The transformation of the gun is quite remarkable. Thanks to all for the help.