Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock River fatgun ?

troupe

Rock Island has been showing them for a while now. Saw them last year either at SHOT Show or NRA. Basically the same as a Para high cap with a light rail on the dust cover. Looked like ok quality (about the same as Para).

Edited by ltdmstr

• 2 weeks later...

I have yet to see one of the Rock Islands, would be interested. My dealer talked to Rock Island and he was told that a 40 would come out. Mike, if your out there, maybe some input on the Rock Islands.

• 1 month later...

Rock Island has had hi cap 9mm's for some time. I had one 2 years ago with 9mm and 22TCM barrels. It was a Para style gun that came with a Mecgar/Para P18 magazine. I tried some of my STI and SV open gun mags, some worked some did not. None would drop free. Decided not to pursue the project as a 3gun pistol.

I have not seen a 40 that would be suitable for major Ltd. use. Supposedly coming out with a 40 single stack this year, but entirely not usable for the division. Bull barrel with a unique ramp cut not easily replaced.

Seeklander has been writing about these on his blog.

However, the 2011 .40 review shows a 1911 pistol and mag in the associated photo.

http://blog.shooting-performance.com/category/site-menu/gear-reviews/

But he does rundown several RIA guns.

I'd be interested to know more about modifying the 2011 guns to accept STI mags.

Is it just a matter of trimming the mag catch somehow, or is it major surgery?

Edited by The Antichrome

Posters- I came across this post and thought to reply. My high cap gun has basically a set screw near the top of the mag chute that the magazine hits (so it doesn't pass the mag catch). Modification was done by Arnel, the RIA custom gunsmith. I have also head that the SVI mags can be modified to work since the frame is pretty much a PARA frame. I will post more in my blog when I try that option.

Thanks for the reply Mike. I also would love to see them out for sale. Hard to come by for some reason. I have built to customs on RIA pistols. Both turned out very well with very happy owners. The pistol in the pics would be awesome in 40 S&W for the games. I would be happy with the complete lower to build on. Mike, if you have any ideas, PM me on the complete lowers. A 6" would be killer.

Tommy Roupe THR Technologies/Roupe Grips