Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM 5.25 KB

GreenDragon64

Here's what happened to me at the Cavern Cove Multigun match in northeast Alabama yesterday. eek.gif

I cleaned the shotgun targets on stage 1 and then had a great A zone hit with my XDM 5.25. 100% accuracy for the stage.

After that first and only trigger pull, I felt a sharp pain at the base of my trigger finger at the joint, saw a fireball about the size of a lemon protruding from the half dollar-sized hole that has made its home in my Springfield's frame, and then felt some small particulates hit my right cheek and nose. Somewhere along the line the pistol was no longer in my grasp and ended up on the ground.

Catastrophic case failure. I believe the evidence the case gives us, looks like there was a combination of a hot 9mm load and it being shot out of battery. Top portion of the case is fine, but the bottom is blown out. There is a bulge above the rim at the bottom of the case that matches perfectly to the area right outside of the chamber. There is a lead ring where the chamber indexes off the case mouth and the barrel is extremely dirty, more so than one shot should have left it.

post-45720-0-60126200-1390764510_thumb.j

post-45720-0-34324400-1390764521_thumb.j

post-45720-0-68997400-1390764530_thumb.j

post-45720-0-59737500-1390764538_thumb.j

post-45720-0-50372900-1390764553_thumb.j

That is what a case failure does to a polymer frame, if the slide was back("out of battery") the firing pin safety block would have stopped the firing pin from hitting the primer. Hopefully the top end is useable.

Rich

I had a piece of grip tape on the oval contour where it exploded on me. I bet that piece of tape saved me from having a piece of frame piercing my trigger finger. Also of note, my frame is cracked down the grip over halfway to the magwell and a crack is wrapped around to the trigger opening.

• 2 weeks later...