Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tension watching DVD playback

ErikW

I'm watching myself shoot some nationals stages in shred's Squad 30 DVD, and my arms are tensing up. Here on the couch in front of the TV. You know that means I'm shooting tense.

The worst one is the stage with the two push-open windows and all the close targets. I get all stressed out just thinking about it.

I was really disapointed with myself on that stage. I did the same thing Eric, tensed up, and I blew it. I wanted to end the match with a stage win and was soooo tense. had trigger freeze on the first split and made up a D. I ended up a second slow on the stage because of it....

Thanks for bringing up that old chestnut! <_<:lol:

Flex,

My Glock malfunctioned on the stage next to it, the prone stage. It didn't go into battery on the first split after I drove it into the dirt. When I started to pull it back to clear it, it fixed itself. First malfunction in about a gazillion rounds...

Yeah...having a malfunction with the glock can be weird. I did a nice little tap-rack-bang and I was back in the running. But, there was a most certain reaction/realization time before I got going. Seemed like forever.

Erik, I wanted to watch your run on the DVD again, but I lent my copy out.

I know that having you a couple of shooter ahead of me got in my head on another stage (the one where there was two stages in one bay...the other stage being a car/tire start).

I got sucked in and didn't shoot my game on that stage. That doesn't happen to me very often nowdays. :o

You guys all looked pretty smooth on that DVD, but then I've never seen any of you shoot otherwise. I suppose it would be impossible to detect "tension" from my end unless it was really obvious, but I didn't see much of it.

I was surprised to see no one in the squad (at least on the DVD) get all of the steel on the stage with three strings with the minimum number of shots. Was it more difficult than it looked on video, or is it just one of those s** happens deals?

That was actually 3 stages, the way they had it...even though you hot-gunned it from one to the next.

Yeah, that steel is a mind game. I think everybody on the squad had the skills to go one-for-one on the steel. It wasn't majically tough or anything.

I'd gladly take Erik's running on the third stage of steel...even though he took each steel above the circle.

I shot like crap on the unobscured Pepper Poppers because I thought they were so close and so BIG I couldn't miss at any speed. Dumb. Then I got ticked off and decided to pay careful attention to sights and trigger, and went 6-for-6 and a 6th place on the next stage.

I know that having you a couple of shooter ahead of me got in my head on another stage (the one where there was two stages in one bay...the other stage being a car/tire start).

Yeah that was the one burning up the targets through the diamond, over the table. Them were some fast splits and transitions!

Man I can relate to that - up close targets preceeded by doing something silly tightened me up like nothing else. If I kept telling myself, over and over, before I shot, things like -

No matter how much you attempt to relax you're still going to be too tense, so relax, relax, relax, then relax some more.

If you just relax and shoot as you see, there's no way you will not be fast enough.

You willl shoot the fastest if you feel the loosest.

Then, at the buzzer, as the gun is coming out, make a powerful effort to exhale all excess tension from your shoulders, neck, chest, and arms down and out through your belly. On that exhale, feel your arms just float out there, effortless and hurry-free.

be

One thing I noticed on the 2003 Open Nats Super Squad video was one perticular stage where Eric G. appeared to be chewing gum at the start of a stage. And, if you watch him through the rest of that same stage, he never stops chewing. Jojo is another one in that video who looked loose at the start, and you could see him make a big exhale on the before the buzzer.

I read (maybe here?) where it is pretty difficult to be tense if you jaw is unhinged, like when chewing.

After loading and making ready, I try to do the big exhale and relax my arms, shoulders, and neck as much as possible. If the RO says, "Are you ready?" before then, I say, "No!" Usually I keep my hand on the gun until after I've done it to let them know I'm not ready yet, but sometimes they don't notice it.

I'm not sure how much it helps me, but I'm going to keep doing it. It certainly can't hurt. I think it helps me more when I am tired.

Tension is a killer, probably the killer, of smooth shooting. One of the hardest stages I have ever shot was 3 targets at 1 yard from the end of the box. I "felt" that I had to go fast. Guess what? A miss on a target that should have a powder burn on it. This is also the cause of 90% of the trigger freezes.

FYI - wiggle your toes before the beep. Hard to be tense doing that. Know it sounds stupid, but, it also gives your brain something to do instead of focusing on a forced performance.

FYI - wiggle your toes before the beep. Hard to be tense doing that. Know it sounds stupid, but, it also gives your brain something to do instead of focusing on a forced performance.

Since I've been doing that life in IPSC just got easier. Can't remember where I heard it (must be here... :P ), but it really works....

• 1 month later...

I was watching BBQ's video CD of the December Limited match at Richmond and noticed something about my breathing. It was a cold day and exhales were visible. At the classifier, I shot, reloaded, shot, lowered the gun, and a big exhalation was visible. Held my breath for the whole string. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...