Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The List

Ok, so I did some more research on the subject and have started to turn more to Dillon. BUT here's the $$$ question. Between the Square Deal and the 550 which would be easier for an amateur to start/learn on? I figured if I'm going to spend a bit more on quality I should get what best fits my reloading ability. So lets say I have $800 to play with and don't need to buy brass at the moment. What would be your list if you were just starting out and needed to stay on budget. Need "the list" and possibly suggestions on the best place to find some/most of it. Wish I could spend more but thats what I'm limited to. So spend my money guys! I would only be reloading 9mm and would probably only need to reload less than 500 a week so high production isn't a priority. I'm a casual shooter looking to reload more as a hobby than anything. So, knowing what a lot of you wish you would had done differently your first go around, how would you spend $800 on a new setup?

If you'll ever have any inclination to reload rifle, get the 550. If you're pretty sure it's just going to be 9mm I'd get the SDB. I still have a SDB mounted on my bench beside my 650s and 1050. The SDB is a great little loader!

I have two SD' s that I load on that are 28 years old and still make good ammunition. They cost $130 back then, with what they cost now I would save up a little more and get an even better press.

How much less than 500 rounds a week?

400 rounds a week is over 20,000 rounds a year. That would work out to a full 40 hour work week at 500 rounds an hour.

I would go for the 650 but I am spending your money now...

Had three Sq Deal B's and a 550. Loaded more on the 550 in the long run since I did rifle ammo as well. Eventually sold all the Sq Deal B's and kept the 550. For me I found the Sq Deal B to confined for my hands to place the bullet and brass. Also thought my 550 had smoother operation.

I have never owned or used a SD but own a 550. I started with it and load 9mm, .40, and .45 acp. I was brand new to reloading 2 years ago when I bought my 550. I did the same as you asked around to see what one of the 2 I should buy being on a budget wanted to same as much as possible. I chose the 550 for 2 reasons. One it does not auto index, I wanted to index manually so that I would pay more attention to the powder throw on every round and force me to pay more attention. Second was because of the dies. From what I understand the SD has certain dies you have to buy. With the 550 you have a much bigger selection of dies to choose from. Either way and dillon press is well worth the money and you will be happy. Good luck and enjoy reloading..

I have been loading for less than a year so I have been in just your spot not long ago. Even though the SD was not one of my options (550/650) I emailed with Brian extensively about the two. As he has stated many times in other threads he always recommends the 550 for newbies. If you have not taken a course on metallic reloading I urge you to do so unless you have a mentor that will spend the time with you. I purchased my 550 before my class and ended up buying a single stage for my 308 for better understanding of precision rounds for my bolt guns. That being said if you have multiple calibers and rifle to load your really only choice is the 550 unless you do the SD and a single station. If you only load 1 caliber and only buy the absolute bare minimum to load you will be at $800 and that is buying non Dillion items to get you to the bare minimum to be able to load. It comes down to if you don't load rifle now and want to stay below the $800 threshold than get the SD and look at either buying a 550/650 down the road for both cartridges or getting the 550 now and building on that platform for the future. I do highly recommend a single stage press though to learn on before going into a progressive. A lot of folks suggest that and I am very type A and a mechanic so my thought process is I can handle the progressive just fine. In retrospect I did handle the progressive ok but if it was not for the single stage (even loading some pistol) I don't think my loads to this date would be as accurate as they are. There is so much going on when that handle is pulled that you can miss just about anything. With a single stage you have to physically handle every step of the process and you see the do's and don'ts very quickly before you get into trouble. As stated by Hi Power Jack you MUST buy a chrono! That was not specifically instilled in me at first but quickly found out that no reloader should be doing this starting out without one. This is just my experiences and I hope you found value in them.

I had 3 SDB's for over 20 years. Was only loading pistol calibers. If you are only loading for pistol I'd get the SDB. It's a progressive, caliber conversions are cheap. You can convert a SDB for about the price of a set of dies. Conversions and dies for the 550 and 650 are about twice the cost as the SDB.

Never owned a 550 but have a 650xl I picked up for rifle about 15 years ago. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I gave a SDB to each of my 2 sons and kept one for me. I load .223, 9mm, 45 and 38/357 on the 650 now. Use the SDB for 45 long colt and 40S&W, which I rarely shoot. I don't think the price jump from 550 to 650 is significant enough not to go that route. SO...either SDB or 650XL is my opinion. What i don't like about the 550 is that it has 4 stations instead of 5 and it isn't progressive. Personal preference. No matter how you go, you won't be dissatisfied with the Dillon. I've had Lee, Hornady and RCBS over the years. Still have a Lee single stage I use for bullet sizing. Made the switch to Blue and have never regretted it.

Thanks everyone! Lots to really think about, even though it seems pretty even as far as SDB and 550. There are reloading classes I think I read about somewhere local, I'll have to sign up and maybe that'll shed more light for me! As far as qty percweek, unless I'm on vacation it would be right at 500 a week. I only get to the range at MOST twice a week, usually just once though. Thanks again everyone!

I honestly think I'm going to gobwith the SDB. I will not be going into anything other than handguns so there really is no need for a bigger setup. Im not planning on going into tournaments or competitions so the ammo output doesn't need to be huge. I really appreciate everyone's help. Now on to the fun part of hunting down everything I need in bulk!

Jayhkr If you are from Kansas I may be able to help you find supplies locally just let me know. I live near Kingman Ks

I am in Kansas, just not near Kingman. I'm in Kansas City, however I do get over to Topeka once in a while. Always looking to buy local when I can, even if I have to drive a moderately short distance. Wichita may be a bit far though for supplies.

Am I the only one that thinks 500 9mm rounds per week is a LOT more than casual reloading?

I thought the same thing, but he says speed is not important (might have lots of time on his hands)

and he wants to spend less than $800 for all reloading equipment - a 550 will come in a little under

$800, but if it's only one pistol caliber and lots of time to reload, I'd save the couple hundred

bucks and buy a lifetime warranted Square Deal - not much advantage to the 550 in this case.

BUT, if I were loading 20,000+ rounds a year, I wouldn't "buy locally" - I'd order HUGE quantities

to be shipped - save lots of money with large purchases (Buy the bullets from Manny

Bragg - six cases of MG bullets are big discount). etc. Same with primers/powder. :cheers:

I guess I don't consider 500 rds a lot since I'm usually with a few friends when I go out. It might not be EVERY week either. I will look in to Manny and see what he offers. Thank you!

I'll have to post my official/non official list here soon with some price break downs for you all to critique on too. Really appreciate all the help thus far.

The SDB conversion might cost about the same as a set of real dies.... but a set of real dies is a set of real dies. It's nice to have options for dies other than Dillon, and to be able to keep your dies if you upgrade. I'd say 550 is a good place to start.

Ok, so I did some more research on the subject and have started to turn more to Dillon. BUT here's the $$$ question. Between the Square Deal and the 550 which would be easier for an amateur to start/learn on? I figured if I'm going to spend a bit more on quality I should get what best fits my reloading ability. So lets say I have $800 to play with and don't need to buy brass at the moment. What would be your list if you were just starting out and needed to stay on budget. Need "the list" and possibly suggestions on the best place to find some/most of it. Wish I could spend more but thats what I'm limited to. So spend my money guys! I would only be reloading 9mm and would probably only need to reload less than 500 a week so high production isn't a priority. I'm a casual shooter looking to reload more as a hobby than anything. So, knowing what a lot of you wish you would had done differently your first go around, how would you spend $800 on a new setup?

If you haven't seen:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

... Lots of helpful info there.

If you haven't seen:

Dillon FAQ:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

“Which Dillon”:

http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html#which

... Lots of helpful info there.

Oh yes sir I have looked over those sites many MANY times. I know you like to suggest the 550 for many reasons and I respect that immensely! I like the fact that the SDB IS small and compact. I don't like big clunky things cluttering up my work area. There are a lot of pros and cons to going bigger but I think for the money, I just can't justify spending the xtra $$ for going up a notch. Not if the SDB will take care of all my needs. Here's how I also look at it. Lets just say 5,10 or more years down the line I DO change my mind, lets face it the resell value on these bad boy machines won't be much of a loss if any at all. There will always be people out there looking for great reloading presses and the major selling point for me is the 100%, NO BS warranty for the life of the MACHINE!!! Shoot my grandchildren's grandchildren could still use this machine and have no issues getting help from the manufacturer. How many other products out there can one say about that!!

Here's that OFFICIAL list I stated I would post! Think I'm going to change one thing and that's the electronic scale to a balance beam style one. I know I need a Chronograph, however the range I shoot at is indoors and I'm not sure I'll be able to stand back the required 10' from it to shoot. Might ask the range guys if I can use their downstairs "competition" area for using it every now and then, but that's the reason it's not on the list right now. So without further a due....THE LIST!

Dillon Square Deal B - $380
9mm Case Gage - $15.50
Speer Manual - $30
10pk Depriming pins - $6 (not sure if these are really necessary but were recommended)
4#'s Powder - $60-67
4k CCI primers - $108
1k 124gr Bullets - $75-90
Tumbler Kit w/media - $75
Electronic Scale - $35 (need some real advice on this though, might not go with with electronic but go balance beam style)
One Shot Lube - $15
Electronic Caliper - $25
Primer Flip Tray - $8
6 Ammo Boxes - $16

So on the high end I'm at $870 then add in the freight and hazmat for some of it and I'm rounding up to $925. I didn't put brass in there as I will have a good stash by the time all this gets bought. I chose the SDB as it's affordable, I won't be loading rifle, and it's nice and compact (which I like). So here's where you guys come in to add/remove items to better my price and ability to be efficient! Probably looking at purchasing throughout the next few months a little here, a little there as I find items on sale!

Sorry, you need it all, but you can save $15 by not buying the case gauge - I don't own one and I've loaded

tens of thousands of 9mm and .45 rounds.

I take the barrel out of my gun, and use the actual chamber as my case gauge, only for major competitions.

No reason to gauge your ammo for practice, or even local matches, IMHO.

If you're loading 9mm for competition, you definitely need to know the velocity -

that means you need a chrono ... safer to have one, also.

Also recommend much larger quantities of powder, primers and bullets - you'll

save money buying in bulk.

Good luck & welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. :cheers:

Sorry, you need it all, but you can save $15 by not buying the case gauge - I don't own one and I've loaded

tens of thousands of 9mm and .45 rounds.

I take the barrel out of my gun, and use the actual chamber as my case gauge, only for major competitions.

No reason to gauge your ammo for practice, or even local matches, IMHO.

Agree with this statement