Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal Irons

Yes Pat, American shooting magazines sure got folks to think they need a 3-9X scope to shoot an elk at 200 yards...I mean you cant even see them that far away. American shooters now equate magnification with accuracy. Good propaganda for sure, but what you say is true.

Yea hunters do tend to over magnify but up here they have strict restrictions on Moose hunting for example on rack size where you need a clear image and a good scope to make sure you don't shoot an illegal animal.

Pat

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat, but if a shooter knows how to shoot irons well, they can shoot anything well.

Stick a guy who is only comfortable shooting an optic on a rifle w/ iron sights and the same is not true.

But why waste the time when they could be spending that the time it takes to master irons on simply learning to shoot the rifle better. I used to believe that you should teach new shooters on irons first but that principle seems to make less and less sense as training time is diminishing. What am I accomplishing by teaching irons when they will probably never use them after wards.

Just my opinion no offense meant to iron sight lovers.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

While it is true that many people will never use iron sights anymore, I still like them. When I was teaching my daughter to shoot, I bought her a .22 with a rear peep sight, several of my friends said that I should put a scope on it because it would be easier for her to learn to shoot it. Shooting a scope is easier, but I wanted her to be able to shoot irons.

Hurley

That's what I'm talking about :bow:

Different stokes...

I get a sense of accomplishment when I'm hitting long steel with an iron sighted rifle.

Shooting the same targets with a magnified optic is not very exciting to me.

Must be something to it, because I rarely hear sqad mates or RO's comment on a good run with optics. It has to be really exceptional.

However when you make a good run with irons folks tend to notice. Must be something about the effort it takes to aquire that skillset.

FWIW I shot a Prismatic at the SE Regionals. I HAD to try one. Nice little optic but I prefer irons, especially beyond 200 yds.

While it is true that many people will never use iron sights anymore, I still like them. When I was teaching my daughter to shoot, I bought her a .22 with a rear peep sight, several of my friends said that I should put a scope on it because it would be easier for her to learn to shoot it. Shooting a scope is easier, but I wanted her to be able to shoot irons.

Hurley

That's what I'm talking about :bow:

I want her to grow up to be like you. You are my brownie baking, iron sight shooting, high lady hero!

Hurley

Different stokes...

I get a sense of accomplishment when I'm hitting long steel with an iron sighted rifle.

I've been running a 1-4x for over a year now, but still, my best moment in 3-gun was at a local match running my Garand. 600 yard target, hearing PING! "HIT!" BEEP! all in a row, just like that. Damn that felt good. (Felt even better when only about half the squad hit that target, and I did it with a surplus gun, shooting surplus ammo and iron sights.)

As much as I enjoy a challenge, and often spend time kicking my own ass, iron sights on rifles are going the way of the typewriter, the pay phone, and the buggy whip. You can write a fine novel without a word processor, but I do not think many still do. I predict that not too many years from now when an iron sighted rifle is pulled out the response will be "How quaint" much like if someone pulled out a Colt Dragoon. Enjoy shooting heavy metal and limited while you can.

As much as I enjoy a challenge, and often spend time kicking my own ass, iron sights on rifles are going the way of the typewriter, the pay phone, and the buggy whip. You can write a fine novel without a word processor, but I do not think many still do. I predict that not too many years from now when an iron sighted rifle is pulled out the response will be "How quaint" much like if someone pulled out a Colt Dragoon. Enjoy shooting heavy metal and limited while you can.

I feel that you have it correct within the US for sure.

I wonder how many of the 45+ shooters at the SMM3G in Limited are shooting real Irons...3? Kurt, me and???

I guess folks already look at 1-4 optics as kinda quaint in a way. Now that 1-6s rule the roost. An iron sighted carbine is kinda a joke really...Shotguns that hold less than 12 round...grandpa gear!. Handguns without a FO front sights and 25 round mag...for armatures....Beginners...novices!

But they sure are fun. And practical....for whatever else you might need to use a gun for....

I guess folks already look at 1-4 optics as kinda quaint in a way. Now that 1-6s rule the roost. An iron sighted carbine is kinda a joke really...Shotguns that hold less than 12 round...grandpa gear!. Handguns without a FO front sights and 25 round mag...for armatures....Beginners...novices!

You're killin me smalls!

Actually Pat, I am going to be trying a new kind of sighting system. It is called an aperture sight system. Some have called it a peep sight. I'm not going to ruin the surprise by looking through it too early, but I get all excited thinking about what I'll get so see when I look through the peep hole. :) :)

After the apocalypse, after all the batteries are dead and all the erector tubes have broken, iron sights and those that know how to use them will rule the world! ( paraphrase of Clint Smith, mid to late 90s)

There is magic inside optics which I don't understand, therefore they are evil! ( Kurt Miller, RM3-G 2004.

After the apocalypse, after all the batteries are dead and all the erector tubes have broken, iron sights and those that know how to use them will rule the world! ( paraphrase of Clint Smith, mid to late 90s)

There is magic inside optics which I don't understand, therefore they are evil! ( Kurt Miller, RM3-G 2004.

Fiber optic and standard scopes will work fine as well.

Pat

Night force can take direct hits from enemy bullets so I am not worried. Sorry I can't copy and paste on to here for some reason. But I was going to show the pic of the Nightforce 3.5-15 that was with an AK round and still worked afterwards for the rest of the soldiers tour of duty.
Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Only if the rear sight is replaced with a hooded unit. The standard rear sight is flat and reflects too much light. The M1A side rotate knobs are the best. The options available for the AR platform are endless though and personalization in our sport goes a long ways.

Pat, the best iron sights are those on the M14/M1A.

I don't care for them as much. They have a small apature which was harder for me to shoot fast with. Just preference I guess. I liked being able to switch between the large peep up close and in low light to the small one for distance.

Pat

• 5 weeks later...

I'm the only one in my local club that shoots heavy metal irons (308 AR, 1911, pump shotgun). Since there is no direct competition there I just try and beat the tac optics guys. There have been a few stages out to 300 where I got lucky and never missed. Some of the Tac Optics guys were using 10X and still had some misses. Overall, it's just more fun.