Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Standings

Lifeislarge

I'm a C class Limited shooter with some B classifiers. On Saturday's club match I placed 11th out of 21 Limited shooters and was only beat by B's and better. Overall I placed 23rd out of 50 total. I know this means nothing but a participation award but my question is, it there any value to looking at the overall placement in the match results or just the division results? I obviously want to know how I stand with my fellow Limited competitors but also like to know that I did better than at least half the guys out there. Thoughts?

is there any value to looking at the overall placement in the match results or just the division results?

If you're shooting Ltd, I don't see too much value to comparing your

results to revolver or SS shooters, or L10 or Production for that

matter. IMHO.

If you start beating some of the OPEN shooters, that would

be meaningful, and a lot of fun.

I know I hate it when a Production shooter beats me shooting my TruBor. :ph34r:

But, if it means something to YOU, then it means something, I guess. :cheers:

Edited by Hi-Power Jack

At a match where I don't know anyone, I don't really care that much about other divisions, but at our local matches, I look at the overall results, and I look at every division. After a few matches you get a good idea of who is around you, and who scores a little bit better than you. Doesn't matter what gun they shoot, if you find that next match you're ahead of some of those guys, then that's a good thing. If your percentage of the overall winner's score goes up, that means you're improving.

FWIW, I think it's waste of time to feel good about just beating people in general. I want to beat specific people that usually beat me, because it tends to show improvement.

I want to beat specific people that usually beat me, because it tends to show improvement.

That's a better way of looking at it. If all you have is local matches, pick a

few people who shoot near your level, and track them.

The Best Way to look at it, IMHO, is to shoot large matches (Regional & State, if

not National), and compare your score to the 100% guy in your Division.

I worked my way up from 52% to 62%, and that made me feel great - not satisfied,

but showed improvement. And that's what we're all striving for. :cheers:

I agree that it's beneficial to benchmark yourself against local shooters in your particular division. There are several competent Limited shooters in my area that I see regularly at matches and I also have friendly competitions going with a few guys who are similar in skill to me. I suppose that the club matches post the overall match standings as they do because it's easier than posting them by division like the USPSA does. I'd still like to see my name in the top 25% overall.

I want to beat specific people that usually beat me, because it tends to show improvement.

The Best Way to look at it, IMHO, is to shoot large matches (Regional & State, if

I worked my way up from 52% to 62%, and that made me feel great - not satisfied,

but showed improvement. And that's what we're all striving for. :cheers:

While I totally agree with this statement, not everyone who enjoys this sport can afford to shoot major matches. So, they (we) have to find a way to evaluate ourselves at the local club match level. As much as I'd love to travel around the Nation and shoot, I just can't justify the expense, especially now that I've got a 5 month old Son......Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy shooting majors with lots of props and moving targets. I'd be willing to bet that there are some (maybe a lot) of GMs that have never shot a major.

it tends to show improvement.

I'd be willing to bet that there are some (maybe a lot) GMs that have never shot a major.

I hear you - I've cut back on Majors myself. So it is important to measure your progress at the local level,

BUT, The Best way is to shoot the big matches, if you can afford it.

And, I'm NOT a betting man, but I believe I'd take you up on that bet that there are GM's who do NOT shoot majors.

I find it Very Difficult to believe that there are ANY GM's who don't shoot at least one Major a year. May be wrong.

Anybody know any GM's who don't shoot Majors? :sight:

Back in 02, when
I started playing in Production, trhere weren't that many people shooting it, so if Dave Olhasso wasn't at the (local) match to set the bar, I used to look at the overall results to see how I did compared to some Limited masters. (Usually poorly, occasionally faint glimmers of progress....)

As the division got more popular, I found myself twice competing with 2 different close friends -- one pair in C class, who left the sport after a few years, another in B class, before those guys deserted me for A -- and it was great fun in both cases to have a trash-talking rivalry. We'd talk stage plans, and someone different would end up on top at every match. Great fun. It also got easier to gauge progress in the division, because we often had 20-30 shooters competing, with maybe 4-8 of those folks being both consistently good, and a regular presence in the division....

So yes there can be value in seeing if you're making progress against the local hot shot -- just be aware if a match really favors open or limited shooters, that the equipment difference may be another variable.....

• 2 weeks later...

I think there is more value in comparing against divisions when you're looking at divisions that should beat yours, i.e. if you're production, comparing to SS, limited, limited 10, and open. If you are beating limited and open A's and M's as a production shooter, you're doing pretty good.

Conversely though, if you're shooting open, you can't really compare the overall results to the other divisions at all. If someone from SS or production beats you in the overall, they are really a much better shooter.

Conversely though, if you're shooting open, you can't really compare the overall results to the other divisions at all. If someone from SS or production beats you in the overall, they are really a much better shooter.

right, but if you're an open B, and you find that you are often close to A production shooters billybob glock and his stepbrother bobbybill glock in the overall standings, then when the day comes that you beat them both for the first time, you know you had a decent match.

I don't bother looking at the open division scores at a major match, but at local matches, where I know most of the shooters, and have a pretty good idea of where I usually finish in comparison to them regardless of division, I find it interesting to look at the overall.

Edited by motosapiens