Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing shoes

fuentesd99

I think I remember us talking about this at length at some point. It was in a rules discussion about about not changing equipment during a match. Lot's of discussion about moving to an indoor stage where typical cleats would be dangerously slick for example. Another thought was what about shoes getting soaked and allowing a shooter to change. Or starting on a gravel bay then having stages on grass that is still dew covered.

Those examples make good sense

I ask because I wear metal cleats, but, at this years FL State Championship there is a stage that looks like a ship and it will be wood. Wood and cleats do not mix, that I know from first hand. SO, CAN I change or I CAN NOT?

GA state had a stage like that a few years ago. I shot it in the morning, in cleats, when it was covered in dew. I wish I had changed into different shoes. Every time I started to move, or came to a stop, I was slipping and sliding.

Consider the consequences if they decided you would NOT be able to change your shoes.

By extension, "equipment" could then mean you could not change your: glasses (ie: dark vs light), jacket (rain vs warm), shirt, socks, underwear...

Who wants to be the underwear police for a 3 day match?

-ivan-

I ask because I wear metal cleats, but, at this years FL State Championship there is a stage that looks like a ship and it will be wood. Wood and cleats do not mix, that I know from first hand. SO, CAN I change or I CAN NOT?

Change em bro!

That's why I like my Inov8's. They have just as much grip on grass and gravel as a cleat, but just as much grip on wood as a sneaker. Really it's the best of both worlds. Only downsides I've found is that they are not warm in the least for cold wheather matches, and they are not water proof in the slighetest. I saw where they are supposed to have a few models out or coming out that are gortex, which I'll probably try at some point.

At Area 6 last year there is was a stage with a wooden moving bridge ... My football cleats weren't going to hack it so I changed them out for that stage and then back again ... No issue so change away ...

Edited by Nimitz

*shrugs* I don't consider shoes to be part of a competitor's equipment. Chapter 5 in the rulebook only addresses the gun, holsters, magazines, ammunition, belts, and pouches with any level of specificity or scrutiny. Shoes are part of your dress, not your equipment.

Shoes, like other personal equipment, are not regulated by our rules. Same thing for knee pads, elbow pads, gloves, hat, glasses, all your clothing,e tc. The only thing the USPSA rules regulate are your gun, holster, belt, magazines and mag pouches. Everything else is up to you.

Troy