Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BROWNING HIGH POWER 1st time owning one

Hello,

I got a great deal on an older BROWNING H.P. im considering purchasing since i would like to customize something different than my 1911s,CZ-75s etc.

Ive never owned a B.H.P. before and i see that CYLINDER&SLIDE has a gorgeous mirror like ultra buffed ceramic coated finish. My question is what smiths do the best finish work on BHP?

I seen one YOST did and it is beautiful but if i can find someone who wont have that long of a wait i would like to go that route,

I would like the hammer and slide catch thats on this one...what is that finish?

f0872b95a98c19fbe93363f207097a15.jpg

0fdd361d8af70c0b90df1a74239611ee.jpg

Edited by Kimbertarget

robar and novak are a couple that come to mind but I haven't had any work done by either. I am not sure if novak still does bhp's actually. one of the things you might want if you have an older bhp with the tiny safety is a larger safety lever so it is easier to engage/disengage.

the bhp is a great gun and it is a damn shame that it doesn't really fit into any competition divisions and hasn't become proliferated in the USA like the 1911 has. even in idpa it wouldn't work so well because you would need to leave the mag safety in. nonetheless I like them and still am looking to acquire a bhp practical :)

Edited by polymerfeelsweirdman

IDPA changed that rule about it being illegal to disable the mag safety. At least they did before they came out with new rule book.

To me, the two biggest drawbacks to the High-Power are the long trigger reset and the horrible magwell/mag combo. Quick reloads are going to be a challenge with that gun - unless you want to cut your frame and have a magwell welded on.

But I do love high powers.

Edited by tbarker13

I'll be competing with a Novak's modified BHP in L-10 off and on this year. Mainly for the fun of it but I'll be as competitive as I can; it won't be the gun holding me back. Just shoot all A's and the minor scoring doesn't matter!

At least, I keep telling myself that...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BHP was my ESP gun for years in IDPA. C&S kit will help with the trigger but it still has a long reset. I never had problems reloading as the factory mags are spring loaded and empty mags launch out.

I no longer shoot IDPA so my BHP became a host gun for a suppressor after the addition of a threaded barrel.

Great gun.

Craig