Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 vs 929

DavidSnethkamp

I'm sure some of the guys running 929s will chime in, but I did the Heartco/Starline thing for my 6 shot 686 until I land an 8 shot gun. So I'm likely to go 627, but there is a 929 in the case at a LGS that is pulling at me pretty hard. I already have a 9mm setup for my Dillon so I could go either way, but I can say that purchasing 2K of Starline sure isn't as bothersome!

ETA: Welcome to revo! It's even more addicting.

Edited by Shadowrider

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own both and I have already switched to the 929. I have found the 929 to be more accurate at 25 yards than my 38 sc loads, but I am still having trouble making minor PF. I do enjoy the longer barrel/sight radius I am hitting A's that I am used to calling close C's. I love the Ti cylinder there is a noticeable difference in trigger pull weight, but it becomes very apparent when shooting fast. Moon clip fit between the 9 and the 38 sc when using HearthCo clips for both with the correct brass is about the same. I don't care much for the wide trigger and the pinned front sight on the 929. From my experience so far, I like the 929.

I own both and I have already switched to the 929. I have found the 929 to be more accurate at 25 yards than my 38 sc loads, but I am still having trouble making minor PF. I do enjoy the longer barrel/sight radius I am hitting A's that I am used to calling close C's. I love the Ti cylinder there is a noticeable difference in trigger pull weight, but it becomes very apparent when shooting fast. Moon clip fit between the 9 and the 38 sc when using HearthCo clips for both with the correct brass is about the same. I don't care much for the wide trigger and the pinned front sight on the 929. From my experience so far, I like the 929.

What is your load that you are struggling to make minor? Shouldn't minor be a breeze with that much barrel? My load is a 147 LFP with 3.4gr of Win231, and that is making 132ish PF out of a glock 17. So I would have expected that would make a lot more velocity out of that big barrel. Am I mistaken?

What is your load that you are struggling to make minor? Shouldn't minor be a breeze with that much barrel? My load is a 147 LFP with 3.4gr of Win231, and that is making 132ish PF out of a glock 17. So I would have expected that would make a lot more velocity out of that big barrel. Am I mistaken?

I was trying to make minor with VV N310. I was using 3.0 grains with extreme 147 gr plated bullets loaded to 1.160". That load made 123 PF in my 929 and 131 PF in my M&P 9. Anything above 3.0 grains of N310 causes sticky extraction in my 929. I think the reason why I and others who have 929's are not making minor with their production load is because of the gas that escapes between the barrel/cylinder gap. I am trying 3.2 grains to 3.6 grains of WIN 231 tomorrow if I can get a pistol bay to chrono.

Here are the results from my WIN 231 testing today. Extraction was good with all the loads but I need to do some more testing I like to be above 130 PF.

3.4 grains

M&P 867.2 fps 126.6 PF

929 839.5 fps 122.6 PF

3.6 grains

M&P 936.6 fps 136.7 PF

929 878.3 fps 128.2 PF

Edited because my attachment didn't come up.

Edited by WheelGunHunter

What bullet?

Extreme (plated) 147 grain bullets, loaded to 1.175"

Was extraction goos with that powder weight ? Personally I'd think anything below 132-135 PF is too close to the edge ( at least if you attend major matches )

So far, extraction is good up to 3.6 grains I only have tested a few moon clips though because I was just testing starting loads with my chronograph today. I'll add some more powder to get the power factor where I feel comfortable. Once I have that done, I will load up a few hundred rounds and simulate match conditions in practice to see how the accuracy and ease of extraction really are. Hopefully I can do this next week sometime!

So far, extraction is good up to 3.6 grains I only have tested a few moon clips though because I was just testing starting loads with my chronograph today. I'll add some more powder to get the power factor where I feel comfortable. Once I have that done, I will load up a few hundred rounds and simulate match conditions in practice to see how the accuracy and ease of extraction really are. Hopefully I can do this next week sometime!

Side note, you going to nats this year brian ?

I want to go but right now the answer is maybe. I graduate college in May and there are still somethings I need to figure out with that and work. I should know by late January and I know I'm pressing my luck by waiting that long.

76 signed up for Revo Nationals.

I want to go but right now the answer is maybe. I graduate college in May and there are still somethings I need to figure out with that and work. I should know by late January and I know I'm pressing my luck by waiting that long.

76 signed up for Revo Nationals.

Sounds like it's going to sell out at the rate it's going.

• 1 month later...

147 grain Xtreme 9mm plated RN (.357 dia)

4.0 grains VV N320 (cool burning and super clean)

Federal brass (fits TK moonclips the best)

Federal match primers (soft)

COAL 1.169" (SAAMI max)

Average of 48 rounds over chrono:

871 fps / 128 PF (only 7 out of 48 didn't make 125 PF)

Accuracy good (3" at 25 yds)

Extraction good (drop right out easy)

No excessive pressure signs (no flat primers or cracked cases)

2000+ rounds fired with NO negative issues...

****I am not a ballistician...this load info is just my experience NOT my recommendation****

• 2 weeks later...

For my 627 in 38 short colt:

160 gr Bayou

3.2 grN320

OAL 1.175

PF 132

FED primers

Swap in 2.7 Clays, thrown with the old style powder bar the new ones seem to intermittently throw light loads, for 134 pf. It's a tack driver load too.

I'd try N320 if I could find some in quantity.

In my experience, Any throws below 3.0 of CLAYS will give you intermittent powder drops due to the powder bridging. You can circumvent that by keeping the powder measure full, polishing the bejeezus out of the aluminum lower, and using some type of vibratory unit attached to the body of the powder. You can also use VV310 but understand you will get sticky extraction when you go over 130PF, if not at 128 PF. Depends on the chamber. 231, 320, Titegroup speed of powder is much better for making 135ish PF with 150-160gr bullets.....

I am loading 2.5gr TG with 160gr bullets in 9mm loaded @1.140 OAL in auto, making 134PF. That will need a little more powder to make 135PF in the 929 but should be a good load for it....

DougC

I am loading 2.5gr TG with 160gr bullets in 9mm loaded @1.140 OAL in auto, making 134PF. That will need a little more powder to make 135PF in the 929 but should be a good load for it....

DougC

Coated 160's like a bayou I assume?