Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metal grips for a 3 gun 2011

nicholastheczar

I am looking at having a 9mm 2011 built up to be used as my 3 gun pistol. This will be my first 2011 so I am pretty new to all things 2011. The grips the smith uses are PTs. I am looking at the metal grips and am trying to decide on the aluminum vs steel grips.

My concern is the weight of the steel with a loaded mag and running around a stage with the pistol in the holster with all that weight in the grip of the gun. I've only held, not shot, the two grips side by side and the aluminum feels significantly lighter. I am going Wednesday to shoot both to see what I like better but I am just thinking of 3gun stages like at the Fallen Brethren where the pistol may be the last gun used and you have to cover some good distance at a brisk pace from the beginning to the end of the stage and you have the extra weight of the steel grip flopping around in the holster.

Any downside to an aluminum grip in a 9mm 2011? I've heard of cracking issues but haven't seen any with the PTs (from what I have read). Anything advice or suggestions would be appreciated before I shoot them both this week. Thanks!

Nick

I use an aluminum grip on my 3 gun pistol. The steel is overkill for that venue. It helps a lot when shooting major power factor stuff, but for those 9mm powder puff loads, not so much. I would bet that an aluminum grip on that gun would hold up fine.

I use an aluminum grip on my 3 gun pistol. The steel is overkill for that venue. It helps a lot when shooting major power factor stuff, but for those 9mm powder puff loads, not so much. I would bet that an aluminum grip on that gun would hold up fine.

This is the direction I'm leaning towards. My 115gr 9mm reloads are on the lighter side anyways and agree that with these loads, even with some of the thinner grips that have cracked w/ .40s, it seems like it would be harder to crack them with the lighter 9mm rounds.

Edited by nicholastheczar

In my opinion you can't go wrong with the STI Aluminum grip for a 3 gun or IDPA type of gun... I have 2 and have had no issues at all in about 6k rounds.

Ands with the Dawson grip tape they look great!

null_zpsb11538da.jpg

I'm planning on going with the PT aluminum dimpled grip. I like the look and the feel of the pattern on the grip.

i honestly feel that I have more to gain by losing weight in my ass than a few ounces in the grips :surprise:

I would't expect you to see much of a difference in actually carrying it on a stage. I run a 6" 40 and it's heavy, but once the clock goes off you don't notice it. I DO like the heavier guns because I keep them more steady when I'm breathing fast. the light ones (M&P, Glock) seem to "wiggle" more where a heavy gun stays on target.

PM me your builder if you don't mind. I'm new to texas but thinking hard about a full custom for 3 gun.

Go to lone star innovations dealer page, for pictures and other details of the P / T grips, it is scattered all over you just half to read a little and most of your question will be answered

I've been up and down his page and met with Glenn on Sunday and looked/handled at a few of his builds. I'm meeting with him tomorrow at the range to shoot the aluminum and steel grips to see which one I like better. I already have a design in mind and this is the last piece to decide on.

Nick

I have been running PT's aluminum grip on Cameron's 6" in limited major. I have put over 5k rounds tru it more like 7k now. I shoot major power 172pf. The PT grip has performed great, no issues what so ever. Cheers.

I'm also going to have a build done by Glenn soon. I'm going with the aluminum PT grip due to the weight as well. It's not a matter of carrying a few extra ounces on your hip, it's the fact that it makes the pistol more prone to flying out of the holster when you're running, jumping, climbing, falling etc... Plus, it's more weight to start and stop on targets during the stage. With aluminum, you'll get the energy transfer and added stability that you miss with the polymer grips without the full weight of the steel grips.

The other option I would like to look at is titanium grips... The cost is a little more. Ti weighs a little more and may be stronger for this application over aluminum, I really don't know for sure.

Please keep us posted, I'd like to know your thoughts after the side by side comparison.

• 7 months later...