Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM Mag release spring Stiff

Sarge

Am I the only one that thinks the mag release spring is a bit strong for what it needs to do? It looks like somebody makes a reduced power spring but did anyone else figure out a better option? My Open gun is due back in a month or so and I really don't want to keep dumping money into a gun that will be my emergency backup to the back up to the back up........... I think you get the picture.

Edited by Sarge

I know with my production 9mm with a full mag it is extremely stiff. Now I also have a cayon creek custom .40 for limited with the extended release and it is very easy. Not sure if the put a different sping in it or not.

The reduced spring and judicious polishing of contact surfaces of both the mag button and mag catch offer a great improvement. It still takes a bit more effort to release a full mag, but realistically this is not something I can recall ever bieng an issue "on the clock" in competition. I have never experienced anything remotely resembling "locking up" a full mag no matter how dirty its gotten.

The mag release spring does seem more stiff than need be. It does not bother me too much but it is my wifes competition gun and it bothers her a lot. Before she reads this and thinks I'm calling her wimpy, and she is not. Her 5 foot frame has given her equally short fingers and she has had to use her pointing finger to activate the release on the right side of the gun. I am starting to look thru industrial spring catalogs to see if I can find a suitable replacement.

Edited by Zoomy

The extended mag release helped mine. Probably more a leverage advantage over stock, but it works for me.

I read something on one of the XDM places, probably PRP, that said the extended release does not twist like the stock one does as it's depressed. I have not torn mine down but if the mag release is actually designed to turn as it's pushed then replacing it with one that goes straight in and out is bound to be much better.

The extended mag release helped mine. Probably more a leverage advantage over stock, but it works for me.

I read something on one of the XDM places, probably PRP, that said the extended release does not twist like the stock one does as it's depressed. I have not torn mine down but if the mag release is actually designed to turn as it's pushed then replacing it with one that goes straight in and out is bound to be much better.

Mine turns. I can't remember which one it it but it seems like it is PRP and it definitely turns.

Glock can definitely be more lighter; but you can also accidentally drop your mag while shooting.

Never happened in two years of competition even with an extended release.

Cool, that's great news.

What rule can I quote to show the RO/MD that'll keep me from getting bumped to Open?

When looking at the rule book: Appendix 4, 21.6, "...components which may only be replaced by OEM parts include...: magazine release, ..."

21.6 A factory/OEM magazine release which extends only the length of the magazine release may be used. A magazine release which provides larger surface area (paddles, buttons) may only be used if it is an OEM part available on an approved model of gun.

I ran the Springer extended release for almost a year and that was pretty easy to release compared to stock. I've since switched back now that it's lightened up a bit, but I wonder if anyone has plans to sell a slightly lighter spring...

I ran the Springer extended release for almost a year and that was pretty easy to release compared to stock. I've since switched back now that it's lightened up a bit, but I wonder if anyone has plans to sell a slightly lighter spring...

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=83&categoryId=15

It's not my site just to clarify. I just buy from them. As far as I can tell Springer only offers the mag release in the .100 longer version

PRP offers .100 and .150 versions. Both are legal for Production in USPSA since they are only longer, not fatter. The gun I handled last night has the .150 and DID NOT HAVE a lightened spring and it was much much easier to drop a mag than the stock set up. Hence, I did not order a spring. I just ordered a .150 release.

FWIW I find springer and PRP very much the same in terms of products but PRP is much easier to get in touch with, seem to offer a few more options, they post how to videos and they sponsored my state match this year. It adds up in my opinion. :cheers: