Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need SS info

magpulled

I'm gonna start shooting single stack soon and need some advice. I will be using a range officer in 45 acp and have installed a Dawson .90 fofs, vz operator grips, Dawson gap mag well and grip tape to the front strap. What I need to know is what are the best mags and mag pouches. Also, do I need an ambi safety? I would think so when shooting weak hand only in matches, but hey I'm new to shooting competitions and what do I know? Thanks in advance for any info.

Ambi safeties are beneficial especially if you tend to bump the safety up during weak hand shooting.

Classic Wilson mags are good for the price. I've seen more and more Tripp/Cobra mags in use along with the ETM Wilson mags.

As for mag pouches, it depends on how much you want to spend.

The purpose built SS pouches from DAA are nice. Safarilands are good also along with Bladetech.

Spacing becomes a concern if "real estate" is an issue.

There are cheaper options but I haven't tried any of those.

My advice:

1. Wilson 47DX magazines (these are the regular 47D mags with the Wilson extended base pads). I've found these to be the most reliable, but I also haven't used the Tripp's mentioned above to compare them against. (For what it's worth, the Wilsons are also very easy to take apart for cleaning and rebuilding.)

2. Blade Tech makes an excellent product. I prefer to use a string of single pouches rather than doubles since that gives you the most options for belt mounting.

3. I use one mag in the gun, five on the belt, and a Barney. Others may suggest differently, but I find seven magazines to be the safest bet. What you'll find when dropping down to the 8 rounders from double stack mags is that if you're moving you're reloading, and it may be with several rounds still in the dropped magazine, so even though a stage may be listed as a 25 round stage, rather than getting by with 3 mags you will more likely go through 4 or 5 magazines, especially if there's some misses in there.

4. I'm a lefty so the ambi- release is standard for me! I'd vote yes, but I'd also put it on the very bottom of the list.

I'm not sure if I can link a site to this page but since I just got these in the mail before Christmas. They are great and sturdy, they are very similar to my blade tech mag holders on my limited belt. And at $13.99 the price cant be beat, here is the link: http://www.opticsplanet.com/uncle-mike-s-kydex-mag-cases.html

Wilson mags are what I was recommended but after every mag change the totally fill up with dirt and require a total disassembly after every stage. That straight long opening is a dirt magnet.

I am looking at Tripp and Chip next.

Been beating the SS drum for 35+ years, for what its worth!!

Wilson 47D or Chip power mags with whatever base works for you and the Dawson Gap mag well ( I use them also)

Safariland or DAA racer SS both are good which ever one you find it stock will be fine

I use six mag pouches and one in the gun , barney bullets in the pocket to top off the mag in the gun, every stage no matter how its set up (consistency)

put the ambi on!! I messed up on the standards at area 7 cause I bumped the safety on while switching hands (cheap insurance)

Wilson's are currently the best made , i.e. square and plumb

I would definitely stick to Wilson mags for the lifetime warranty on them. I've worn out a few over time and Wilson will replace them no questions asked. While I haven't tried their new ETM flat wire spring mags, those look like an ideal magazine for long term use.

I run 6 of the safariland singles and love them. I say go for the most singles you can fit and reach comfortably. I run it in 0.40 with 9 rnd mags so I don't worry about the barney. The 9rnd is always in my pocket at the start signal.

As for the ambi safety I went without for years then had a match were I hit it going to weak hand. The next week I had it on order. I wouldn't go without one now.

I use the tripp mags in 0.40 and love them with the dawson mag well.

Mags and holster are as important as your 1911 and i learned the hard way.

I use a COMP-TAC because their customer service is better than bladetech. Chip mccormick mags i havent had a problem with and if you want to save money i just started running ATI and MEGCARS from GREG COTE MAGAZINE website and he is an awesome guy and his mags are $18-27!!

The ATI and MECGARs perform as good as my chips at half the price. You will have to drill and tap if you wanna run bumper pads.

You can run single stack and limit-10 for cheap if you buy ATI or MECGAR mags which i believe GREG COTE has on sale still.

Make sure off hand your grip safety functions flawlessly and make sure you dont have hammer follow before you compete. Before i used tool steel quality internals,after a few matches i ended up getting a lighter trigger and then on last stage realized my hammer followed my slide after some mag changes due to the stock sear work.

I started with Blackhawk clip on pouches, but they were pretty miserable. Eventually I upgraded to DAA's SS Racers, and they're pretty awesome. They can be set up for right or left handed, and straight up and down, 90 degrees, or at various angles if you wanna shoot L10 instead of SS.

For mags, I use CMC Power mags, and have never had trouble with them.