Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOR Equipment setup

smokshwn

I have tried out the Tubbs 2k for MOR/Sniper matches. It has a couple of major issues for the sniper matches especially. Try shooting it weak shoulder - fast. It does have an awesome trigger and the bolt cycle speed is really cool. I personally think it is way to position sensitive for "real work" or sniper matches.

I won't go into the other problems I had or have seen - I tried one for a month and now have an AI AW and will never look back. If you want a rifle that will always work whether it is hot, cold, dirty, ran over by a truck, etc. get an AIAW. I have tested it from 30 degrees to 200 degrees on barrel temp with no impact point shift. And it reloads fast. I will never own a 700 again although if I did, it would have the AICS stock on it.

Yeah, the AI stuff is pricey, but, if you want something thats tough and real world proven - they are the only way to go.

FYI the ten round AW mags actually hold 12. :-P

BTW my scope setup is a US Optics with an H25 HV ret. with mil adjustments. Think about that setup and using it with the ATRAG software and you will figure out some really cool things!

Take care,

Matt

Please excuse my ignorance, but, what is an AI AW, how much are they, and where can they be had?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the 2004 Shot Show I had the opportunity to meet the people of Tactical Rifles. The use the AI chasis and the prices are reasonable. The offer a hell of an accuracy gaurantee. Check out the web site. I am using the Tactical Para with a break. Based on what I've seen others use aside from a the AI AW that Matt recomended there is nothing better. Except these are around $2700 rather than $5500 for the AW. Tell them I sent you. If your in Scottsdale look me up and you can try it yourself.

Rob

Tacticalrifles.net

Question for those who own/use AI AW rifle:

What is the action like?

- extractor type

- ejector type

- bolt stop

- bolt travel distance (for .308)

Can you keep the cheek on the stock while working bolt in prone?

- bolt throw angle

- number of bolt lugs

- safety catch type and location

If there is such a thing as online documentation can you point me to it?

Thanks a lot

I think the bolt throw is 60 degrees. It is a 3 lug bolt. Safety is on right side located on the bolt toward the rear. Everything can be done without moving your head off the stock - IE cycling weak or strong shoulder, mag changes, etc...

Call me if you want any more info at 602-790-8838. I absolutely love that rifle and wish I had five more in the safe. Yeah, they are heavy but DAMN do they shoot!!

Take care,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

I love the USO scopes - if you can get one just do it!

Since I use the Horus H25 reticle in my USO, I don't use the EREK knob. I am not sure if I would like it or not, can't really comment on it since I do not have any experience with it.

Take care,

Matt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having used both the M1 and M3 I like the M3 better when you need pinpoint accuracy and the M1 for speed . Its always a compromise and not a very good one at that . At a match last year they had a Medulla shot at 100 yards , the guys with the M1 played hell getting on a 1/2 MOA spot on the target . I was using my 22-250 with 1/8th MOA knobs and shot really well . Unfortunately , if I had needed to make any adjustments quickly I would have been hosed .

WOW!!! All that discussion was overwhelming. Now, I am really in need of your help. Just a few months ago I was able to put a rifle intended for MOR, this is the first time I'm shooting a bolt rifle and have no idea about long range shooting. I wasn't really going all out with this due to my new love of shooting 3-gun (the bug bit me really bad), but here I am again wanting to get into it more. I have spent too much already and just wanted to spend on what is really necessary to get me on the playing field of MOR matches. Below is what I currently have:

Remington 700P in .308 26" barrel

Badger rings and base (20 MOA cant)

Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M1 Duplex reticle

Harris S-L bipod

Nothing fancy, fairly stock. If anybody can just guide me to the right direction and tell me what I should do with my equipment without spending over $700.00 more. I can auction my scope in e-bay, I only shot this rifle once to zero it at 100 yards. Thanks in advance.

If anybody can just guide me to the right direction and tell me what I should do with my equipment without spending over $700.00 more

My recommendation would be to buy a decent ballistics program (such as Exbal), spend a the rest on [buying or building] good quality ammo, and go shoot.

There's no substitute for time behind the scope, and *knowing* what the bullet is going to do...

Bruce

http://www.perry-systems.com/

is where you get Exbal.

If you can get any of the stocks from AI get one and some mags. I have heard there is an adapter plate for the McMillan that will take the AICS mags which might be another option. I think Badger ord was coming out with it. It may also work on the standard stocks.

If you can get a scope with mildots or the horus reticle, go for it or wait until you can afford it.

Are you reloading yet? That will save you money and most likely get you better ammo than you can buy.

Good luck!

The Badger Ordnance Bottom metal was unveiled at the Shot show on one of GA Precisions rifles that was built for the guy that runs the Snipershide website . It has yet to be released but is slated for sometime this summer . You can get on a waiting list through GA Precision to get one of the first ones built which if you are interested would be a good idea as McMillan has preorderered several thousand of the units which is going to mean that it will probably be Fall of this year before the rest of us mere mortals will see them . The Badger Ordnance setup is way more stout than the H.S. Precision setup and 10 round mags are 63 dollars versus 120 bucks for the H.S.

I am on the list and waiting with baited breath .

You can get on a waiting list through GA Precision to get one of the first ones built which if you are interested would be a good idea as McMillan has preorderered several thousand of the units which is going to mean that it will probably be Fall of this year before the rest of us mere mortals will see them ...

I am on the list and waiting with baited breath .

Do you know what the cost for the mag adapter will be?