Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MOR Equipment setup

smokshwn

Uunfortunately no-one knows what the price will be at this time . I am guessing it will be comparable to the Badger bottom metal which runs around 300 bucks . Here is a picture of the prototype on an A5 McMillan stock . As I understand it , the release lever is undergoing some design changes to shorten it but still remain easy to use .

04-24-49aGAPSHAIMAG02.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an update to the Badger bottom metal, Marty apparently is waiting for AI to begin magazine production again so that he can have an adequate stock of mags to go with his new product. He expects that too happen sometime this summer. I like my AICS but I would love to try a MCM A5 as well.

Take care, Craig

• 1 month later...

If you didn’t want to shell out the cash for a Detachable Box Magazine and still wanted to keep up with the big boys at a Long Range Rifle/Sniper/MOR match how would you carry your ammo?

Moderator, can we get a MOR section for 3-gun?

Will

In detachable box magazines.. Oh, woops.

When shot difficulty trumps shoot and reload speed, you can single load from a pouch, because there is relatively little time penalty to load a single additional round into an empty gun.

When reloads are mandatory like in standards, you are pretty much screwed.

John,

The pictures I took are here http://www.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/SPSC-W-2005/

but I didn't get around to writing a match report mainly because I can't remember each of the 10-15 different stages.

It was a lot of police-sniper-style shooting: 1/4" - 1" targets at 100 yards, 2-3x size scoring surfaces at 200-300 yards; shape & face ID; "card" location; moving targets at 50-300 yards. There were only 4 targets (LaRues) beyond 300 yards. The vast majority of the targets were paper, with I think 6 steel targets at 200-300 yards (2" @ 200y swinger for day 2 cold bore, and a team KYL on steel at 300. Probably a third of the courses of fire had a generous time limit (my perception as a 3gunner), the rest had no time limit. Obviously quite different from ITRC or MOR type shooting.

Many of the targets were "optically" challenging especially in the mirage- my Leupold 3.5-10x40mm M1 could not resolve the smallest targets. Round count was right around 110 for the 3 days.

Organization was excellent. Scoring was straightforward.

Not sure if I'd shoot it next year. For similar $$ and time off work, I'd rather head to Rifles Only or TacPro based on what I've heard. If I did go back, I'd bring an AR15 in 223 instead of a bolt rifle.

To keep this on topic, having a 10 round magazine was a big help on the 10 round, double mover stage.

-z

I can "chuck-n-shoot" a 2 MOA hit (100 yard testing, prone on bipod, no wind doping involved) in about 3.5 seconds shot to shot with my bolter. If I have rounds in the magazine, then it's 1.9 to 2 seconds shot to shot by just working the bolt and staying on the scope.

Basically 1.5 seconds to chuck, 2 seconds to shoot. The chucking is from an arm band on my weak arm, or from ammo on the stock fore end. Pulling rounds from anywhere but right in front of your face will be slower when you "chuck-n-shoot" IME. I just throw the suckers at the chamber with my strong hand ;-)

I haven't figured out an efficient way to use the weak hand to toss them in and keep the strong hand on the bolt so I stick with using the weak hand to hold the rifle in place against my shoulder.

--

Regards,

Edited by George

Zak,

Good seeing you there and was fun getting to talk with you. I was disappointed in the round count but still had fun. Nice job getting the pics up.

George,

Just an FYI

The standard drill in Texas at 100 yards is the 5 1" dots in 20 seconds strong shoulder and same thing in 30 seconds weak shoulder. Rarely are the high scoring targets under 300 over 1 moa.

IMO - We will never see this in an MOR match.

FYI sniper matches are NOT MOR. Any gun that can hit the targets out to 1K and maybe knock them down that you can carry around all day and night will do. Any caliber, bolt, semi, comps, suppressors, scope, irons etc.... there are no classes. The winner is the one that shot the best with the best equipment for the event. Heads up - the way IPSC used to be. (One of the reasons I really like this style of matches.)

Oh crap, gonna catch some after that comment.

:ph34r:

Thanks for the update, I was thinking about shooting it next year as train-up for the ITRC, but the lack of 500-1,000 yd shots would make it a little less than ideal.

Matt, are you going to shoot the ITRC this year?

The standard drill in Texas at 100 yards is the 5 1" dots in 20 seconds strong shoulder and same thing in 30 seconds weak shoulder.

I can see a 1 MOA hit in an additional 1.5 seconds being reasonable. That weak shoulder thing is going to take me longer than 30% more time ;-) Gonna hafta work on that one.

My main purpose with that test was to quantify the amount of time it took chucking a round as opposed to just shooting from a loaded mag.

--

Regards,

I think the biggest difference in this match and the Tac Pro and the Rifles Only match were the generous time limits...even with more time, I didn't get the feeling that most people scored any better!! In the sniper type matches I have been to, most of your shooting is from 100 to 400ish yds...this match had more movers than I have ever shot...fun stuff!! the field courses (ranging on UKD) were abbreviated but still challenging!! Was really fun to compete with my friends, and like Matt, I too like to compete heads up in Rifle shooting!! cya

Cheryl :)

One big difference between MOR and Sniper matches is the addition of a spotter . On a high round count course of fire the spotter can load your rounds into the rifle for you rather than having to try and do it yourself while staying on the rifle . With a little practice its a sub second routine . The spotter can also help keep you on track during a COF by keeping track of round count and spotting hits and misses as well as providing correctional input .

• 1 month later...

Here is my new rifle from GAP with the brand new Badger Detachable Magazine in place . I was one of the first 2 or 3 to recieve one since my rifle was at GAP being rebuilt when they arrived so I had him go ahead and install it . As soon as Magazines make it to the U.S. 10 rounders will be readily available for about half the price of H.S. Precision magazines .

297600.JPG

297599.JPG

297598.JPG

335 with 1-5 round magazine for the conversion . It was another 35.00 to inlet the stock .

You would have to contact George on if it will fit other stocks as well but I dont see why not .

I will get some pics of the conversion tomorrow and post them .

I was on the list to get one of the Badger Detachable Magazine bottom metal conversion. Last week I got an e-mail from George at G.A. Precision to tell me that they had some of the Bottom metals ready to sell. You would have to send your rifle to George and he would install the bottom metal for you. The price would include the cost of the bottom metal, installation and inletting of your stock. I have seen the conversion up close and it is a great set-up. It allows you to have a Detachable Mag on a Mcmillian stock. B)

Here is a photo of one of my rifles. This is one of the rifles I use to shoot sniper matches and Tactical rifle matches. Most of the work that was done on the rifle was done by HD rifles.

MMSling.JPG

For those of you who wanted more pictures of the Bottom Metal here goes ..

These 2 are of the DBM installed

297860.JPG

297859.JPG

Here is one with the magazine removed

297856.JPG

And the complete set up removed

297853.JPG

The replacement Torx head screws are an improvement over the strip-o-matic factory screws to say the least .

• 1 month later...

cottyw,

You would have to call Marty at Badger to see when the long action will be coming out. As of right now only the short action is available. Alot of the delay was due to the lack of availability of magazines from AI. Badger did not want to put out product with no mags.

Take care, Craig