Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of Nordic 18 inch Barrel build.

Anyone have any reports on some 69gr SMKs through it?

Nick

I get a 1" group with my NC barrel and 69gr Stillwood Ammo

One of Jeremy's shooters built a gun at the beginning of last year that shot one hole @ 100 and very close to 1/2" @ 200 with his 69 SMK reloads. I'm not sure what his exact load was but I know it was with Varget.

It shot so well @ 100 that I thought he only hit the paper once while looking through the spotting scope.

Nick

One of Jeremy's shooters built a gun at the beginning of last year that shot one hole @ 100 and very close to 1/2" @ 200 with his 69 SMK reloads. I'm not sure what his exact load was but I know it was with Varget.

It shot so well @ 100 that I thought he only hit the paper once while looking through the spotting scope.

That's what I was hoping to hear. I am using AA2230 w/ my 55 FMJs and need to work up a load on my 69g SMKs. I hope I can achieve what you have mentioned above w/ my AA2230, if not, I'll try to find some varget and work something up with that. Thanks for the info.

Nick

That's what I was hoping to hear. I am using AA2230 w/ my 55 FMJs and need to work up a load on my 69g SMKs. I hope I can achieve what you have mentioned above w/ my AA2230, if not, I'll try to find some varget and work something up with that. Thanks for the info.

Let us know what kind of load you work up with the AA2230 and 69g SMKs. I also use 2230 with 55 FMJs but haven't tried to use it with the 69s.

Does the Nordic Barrel have the dimples for a gas block with set screws or do you need the clamp on style?

You don't need dimples to use set screws they are only put on some barrels to help you align the gas block. No it does not have dimples and yes I used a Troy bock with set screws.

Pat

Anyone run 77 grain bullets through one of these? I've had some 8 twist rifles that like them, and some that don't. All the reports on this barrel, paired with the price and availability make it very appealing for a build.

Anyone run 77 grain bullets through one of these? I've had some 8 twist rifles that like them, and some that don't. All the reports on this barrel, paired with the price and availability make it very appealing for a build.

I run 75 gr Hornady and 77 SMK through mine and they work fine. I can get 1" groups with my Tac30 at 100 yds. I'm sure if I had a cross hair reticle and more magnification, it would be better.

Yea like on the first post of my review where I posted .82 moa accuracy. lol

1/8 twist is built around heavy bullets. I find it strange you have had 1/8 barrels that did not work with them. 1/9 is hit or miss with heavy bullets depending on the barrel length in my experience.

Pat

1/8 twist is built around heavy bullets. I find it strange you have had 1/8 barrels that did not work with them. 1/9 is hit or miss with heavy bullets depending on the barrel length in my experience.

Pat

Sorry, I totally overlooked that!

My 77's are being pushed a lot faster than yours. My accuracy problems are most likely due to the velocity of the bullet. Out of my 18" 1/8 JP I am getting 2890 fps, from a 16" 1/7 CMMG I got 2770 fps. I am now using a 17" Krieger with a 1/7.7 and getting exceptionally good accuracy but I have not run it over a chrony yet. I was only able to get about 1.5 moa from my JP with the 77's, where 62's at about the same velocity would stack up under a moa.

Pat

Sorry, I totally overlooked that!

My 77's are being pushed a lot faster than yours. My accuracy problems are most likely due to the velocity of the bullet. Out of my 18" 1/8 JP I am getting 2890 fps, from a 16" 1/7 CMMG I got 2770 fps. I am now using a 17" Krieger with a 1/7.7 and getting exceptionally good accuracy but I have not run it over a chrony yet. I was only able to get about 1.5 moa from my JP with the 77's, where 62's at about the same velocity would stack up under a moa.

Curious how were you able to get those speeds with 77's.

Pat

My Nordic barrel really likes 52 HPBT, but it does not like 77's. Keep meaning to try 69's.

Try this load

22 grains of N135 behind either a Sierra or Nosler 77 grain bullet with CCI Bench rest small rifle primers. This load has shot well in all my rifles and my friends rifle.s Varying between as low as .65 moa to 1.04 moa at the worst.

Pat

I thought the whole idea of a faster twist barrel was to stabilize heavier bullets (like 1:7). I've wondered why the JP barrels are using 1:8 twist...

An 8 inch twist barrel will stabilize any magazine fed bullet. Hornady 75 BTHP bullets stabilize in my 9 inch twist barrel.

The 7 twist was deemed necessary by the military to stabilize a .224 tracer.

Dan is right on. The only thing is not all barrels are created equal meaning notall 1/9's are really 1/9's. Barrels can be as much as 1/2 a twist off either way. One of my officers personally owned Bushmaster patrolman carbine would not shoot our 75 grain TAP duty load. While the other 1/9 twist guns did fine with it. It was grouping 3 inches at 50 yards. I thought he could not shoot so I tried it and got the same result. We are now running 64 grain Federal Bonded ammunition for duty.
Pat

• 1 month later...

I finally got my new upper put together and thought I would give a report. I went with the Seekins IRMT-3 with the Seekins 15" SP3R rail, 18" Nordic Barrel, Carbon Arms gas block and added the Seekins Comp. I really like that Carbon Arms gas block so kudos to those guys. I went to the range the other day and first thing I noticed was the softer recoil with the rifle length gas (very happy about that). I was never able to get a good group at 100 yds with my LMT mono upper with 55 grain store bought ammo however that rifle was awesome with the 69 gr ammo. The Nordic barrel was dead on with the 55 grain store bought ammo which I was absolutely thrilled! I don't reload so the store bought stuff is all I shoot for now. I plan on taking the rifle back out this weekend and shooting at 200-400 yds. So I very pleased with this barrel. Thanks to Alaskapopo for starting this review and all the others who added to this review its the reason I bought this barrel.

Aaron

Edited by swedge58