Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to find powder

Parsons

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been under a rock for a year or two? :) There literally is no powder anywhere right now. I have had more luck lately looking at local shops for a pound or so to experiment with. But bulk amounts like the good old days? No way.

I lucked out a couple months ago when a local guy I know happened to have a lot of N320 for sale. Between Powder Valley and him I picked up 14 pounds. Just keep an eye out and don't be fussy. Use shotgun powders like Long Shot or Clays if you find it. Just be careful working up loads if you use faster powders. Last year when I was desperate I found 8 pounds of Long Shot at Sportsmans Warehouse and really liked the results in .40 major. Now I use it for my wifes 9mm.

Go thru all the manufacturers load charts to see what might work for you and arrange them in order of preferance on a list and keep checking all the suppliers if something comes up. Good luck.

Edited by Zoomy

I've been quietly looking to replenish my supply of WSF...not sure I've seen new stock of WSF come in anywhere this year, which is making me sad.

I picked up 2 lbs of SR-4756 (9mm minor loads, 124gr) along with a recent primer order from Natchez (mediocre pricing), and am OK stocked on rifle powder, but still trying to put together an order of 24# rifle powder + 16# pistol powder, without much luck at all.

I'd back-order it, but seeing as I've yet to see any WSF seemingly come in at all this year, wonder if it's going to become another 'phased out' powder like SR4756/SR7625, so hesitant to do so. After all, it's not like Winchester has updated any of their load data any time this decade.. :(

Ugh this is disappointing news, I was about to post to ask a similar question. I had a bit of extra money come in and might could actually afford a reloading setup, but it won't do me much good if I can't get powder and other materials.

I assume it's a similar story for primers etc?

Edited by jwilson007

No, primers aren't really an issue right now, nor bullets, for the most part, as long as you're slightly flexible on exactly which primers (e.g. WSP instead of CCI, but still normal brands).

PV has primers, Natchez, even Midway with some amount of discount by the sleeve/5k in some cases.

Bullets - check Montana Gold a few times/week and you'll get a case of 9mm bullets. Xtreme and RMR have plated in stock, and ran a few sales recently.

Hornady bulk 55gr FMJ-BT or SPs can be found if persistent, for a not terrible price anyways (<= $500 shipped for 6k).

Powder seems to be the hardest to find at the moment; the rest, especially by comparison, not that difficult, IMO.

Thanks for the responses guys. my buddy that used to reload and cast his own bullets i think is going to let me buy some of the bulk off of him since he isn't reloading right now. I will search local stores and see what I come across.

Its even worse for us in Hawaii; local stores dont got shit and PV doesnt have any stock for us to do a bulk order. If this crap keeps up I'm going to have to shelve the Limited and Open guns and shoot Production with factory 9mm....

Dan I am looking for WSF, N320, 231 or clays. May be picking some up this weekend

As I mentioned, they had 8 pounds of WST and 8 pounds of WSF. They have the WST on hold for you right now as I mentioned via PM. They didn't have any 231/HP38 or Clays currently (and obviously no N320 which I have never seen locally ever).