Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 ftf help

Mike21STI

I'm having some issues with a double stack. It is having a lot of failures to feed very frequently. I'm using Atlanta arms and ammo 40 S&W 180GR FMJ Long (1.180 OAL) blue box. Anyone else have trouble running this ammo? I wasn't sure if the flat point projectiles were the culprit. The mags are in spec. The rounds are getting stuck on the feed ramp the feed ramp has already been polished by the builder. I will try to post pics but it is before the round goes under the extractor so that seems to be ruled out. Any help getting this gun to run reliably would be greatly appreciated...

If the extractor is too tight the brass wont slide under it so it looks like it is hanging up on the feed ramp

+1 just because it's "under" the extractor does not mean the tension is too high to let the round go all the way up in line with the chamber under the extractor. Edited by Powder Finger

No ran some factory Remington umc rounds as well minor and major loaded aaa long rounds.

It is an aftec extractor that was tuned to the gun when built. The gun has less than 500 rounds. I expected to have the occasional ftf during break in but not being able to get more than 1 or 2 rounds without a stoppage is not what I was expecting

I looked at the pictures (too large to upload here) and they all show the round still in the feed lips so it's definitely getting caught on the ramp before it even gets to the extractor

How frequently do you clean your 2011's?

Edited by Mike21STI

I'll try some rn bullets. I'm not currently set up to reload .40. Does anyone know where to pick up some long loaded rounds other than AAA? I have a couple boxes of factory ammo that I'm going to test but also want to try a longer round.

If your gun requires round nose bullets then it is not built properly. Longer loaded ammunition will help, but a properly built gun should run anything. Short ammo nose dives in most untuned mags, but the gun itself doesn't care about the overall length of ammo.

You are chasing a ghost, good luck.

For what it's worth I sent it back to the Smith that built it and he polished the feed ramp and tested it saying it was good. He ran some of the rounds I provided with my mags and his and thought he had sorted out the issue until I got it back in hand... I tried it made it through one full mag and then the same failure kept occurring. I thought this process was going to be much smoother. He recommended trying a heavier recoil spring until it gets broken in... I guess that's my next step

Might want to send it to him again.

Polishing a feed ramp is like selling snake oil. The idea sounds nice in theory, it should help, but it usually doesn't. Here's the thing, a properly built and timed gun will feed anything, even if the feed ramp has a matte finish and is really dirty. Sure polishing the feed ramp might help reduce those 1 out of 1000 jams where dirt was in all the right places, but at the end of the day polishing the feed ramp is really just a nice finishing touch and looks nice.

Recoil spring, maybe... If you are running a 9lb spring I'll take that excuse that it could be the recoil spring. More than likely you are running a 12-14lb recoil with a 17-18lb mainspring, which would put you well within the normal range.

Just out of curiosity. Who built that gun? I'd love to get some work done myself by such a talented Smith.

In all fairness, guns can be a complete nightmare sometimes. Depending on the finish there are about 6-8 tolerances working with or against each other. Oil it up, fire it and get it hot. If the problem continues you may want to have a serious conversation with your Smith.

My thumb is definitely not dragging on the slide. I do ride the safety with my thumb but I'm familiar with the 1911 platform so I checked to make sure it wasn't me. Sometimes it fails on loading the first round

Please update this thread on how it turns out. I am new to the 2011 platform and trying to learn as much as I can so if I ever run into problems with mine . I have some sort of a clue on where to start.

My next step would be finding someone with a running pistol. Try their mags and ammo in your gun and try your mags and ammo in their gun. If nothing else it will take mags and ammo out of the equation.

After that the next step would be, if you have a high resolution camera post pics of the slide stop, barrel feet, lugs, breech face, barrel hood.