Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I do a 3gun match with my current stuff?

You mainly need a way to hold extra ammo on your belt/person and you should be good to go.

Know your hold overs for distance rifle or adjust to splash.

You may need to hit knock over steel a couple of time with bunny farts.

Normally not too many slugs at local matches. Just pay attention to not shoot the wrong target with the slugs if they are part of the match.

We all get crazy for the next new better thing to give us an edge and you need to shoot a bit to prioritize these items for yourself.

I ran an XM15 with an Aimpoint and an 870 at my first match. I have since gone to a Stoeger for shotgun and modified the AR to no front sight and a Vortex Viper PST 1x4. I love the Vortex. Much better than a red dot for me. But, I did just fine shooting a pump and a red dot and if that was what I still had I'd shoot it happily. Just go out there and give it a try.

I started with an 870 and an old A2 bushmaster. It was great fun and I was even competitive with some shooters who were tricked out. The biggest challenge for new shooters tends to be carrying shotgun ammo and shotgun reloading but there is nothing wrong with reloading shotgun with a pocket full of shells if that is all you have.

Jeremy's club may be the closest to my location, and if he says 400yd is normal, there's no way I can hit that with a 3' dot.

400 is a normal distance to see on one of these matches, even out to 600, but that is normally only on one stage and is certainly not the average distance. The last regular match he held last weekend of December the longest shot was 275 or so. The majority of the rifle shots on a match will be under 100 yds. If your not confident shooting the long distance targets, fire one round at it, yell "moving" and go on. The time penalty for a miss is way less than going to war with a target.

I highly recommend shooting with NTMG as soon as you can, and as often as you can. I started this last January and have never been around a more enjoyable, helpful group of guys.

Come to the next match and you'll be able to look through a bunch of different optics ranging from Mtac to Swaro, which is a whole lot better than trying to decide on an optic based on the picture on the website or what someone says on a forum.