Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Won't 9 mm Shoot in a .38 Barrel?

bountyhunter

So far in my 627 357 mag w/38 Short Colts, Plated bullets below 357 are worthless, huge groups. Plated bullets at 357 are ok, seem to work best with taper crimps but still throw flyers every 3 rounds or so. Jacketed bullets at 357 are great, 355 are ok. Lead 358 bullets are great, especially Bayou's 160 Coated.

The trouble with factory 9's are you're using 355 jacketed bullets or maybe 356 lead. Hopefully Smith put the proper 355 barrels in them and cut the throats and forcing cone to the correct dimensions. If they did you may well have a good platform with cheap brass.

I can't remember the place in Florida but I contacted them a year or so ago and they no longer make custom cylinders. Might try American Guns as on one of their shows they built a SA revolver from the ground up including the cylinder and they might be able to build you a cylinder.

OK, so they're not .355s at least. Next question--how do they shoot at 50 yards? Not a huge issue for most action shooting, but a serious issue for the IRC standards and stuff like that.

Incidentally, I have had excellent luck with the Zero 150-gr. JRNs, and that is a .356" (.38 Super) bullet. Sadly, they appear to be no longer available.

I just shot them at 25. The reason I was shooting them is they were too soft for the loads in my 9mm guns so I thought I would see how they worked in my revolvers and they worked well. I can try 50 yards but I bet they are still good.

Pat

I just shot them at 25. The reason I was shooting them is they were too soft for the loads in my 9mm guns so I thought I would see how they worked in my revolvers and they worked well. I can try 50 yards but I bet they are still good.

Pat

Okay that explains a lot. They were soft enough to obturate and fill the barrel grooves. A harder cast bullet would have leaded up your barrel and gave you shotgun like groups. Edited by Shadowrider

Pat

Okay that explains a lot. They were soft enough to obturate and fill the barrel grooves. A harder cast bullet would have leaded up your barrel and gave you shotgun like groups.

I haven't had that issue with the moly coated bayou bullets and they are a fairly hard lead casting, maybe the moly coating is keeping them together but I can put all 8 in the small a box at 25 with them out of a 357 revolver (327 TRR-8)and .900" cut down brass. I may just be getting lucky

T K Custom can machine your 38/357 cylinder to shoot 38 super. I had a spare Ti cylinder they machined for my 627 V-Comp. If you use the right load and bullets they are accurate. I have had good luck with Black Bullets International 147 gr sized .356 using VV N-320.

Edited by Jaxshooter

• 2 weeks later...

I started to make a long post, and it got really long and rambling. Long and short, it would be a lot to make a 9mm shoot well in a revolver. I maight pop for a 929 but I want to see how Smith gets a couple of isues handled. The main one is the throats. THay will just about have to be dead on as far as diameter or a little small. This will be even more critical with the short bearing surface of typical 9 luger bullet profiles.

Isn't there a problem created by cylinder throats that are too tight? Don't throats that are too tight squeeze the bullet down to even smaller diameter, preventing proper engagement of the rifling if the internal barrel diameter is already a litlte oversized to begin with?

Does everybody remember Doug's .38 shortened cylinder conversion that looked like an oversized starter pistol? That gun had the cylinder throats literally cut completely away, and yet the gun performed fine (although not necessarily better than a standard 627-5, as I recall).

In my opinion, the real issue is to have a barrel that is properly sized for the projectiles being sent down the tube. Shooting .355 bullets from a .357 barrel is never going to be optimal.

Edited by Carmoney

I have a revolver that the cylinder was cut back to minimize the distance from the cartridge to the forcing cone of the barrel. During this process the cylinder throat was removed due to the final length of the cylinder. The forcing cone on the barrel was extended to make up the difference.

The barrel I put on was .356 38 Super. I shoot 38 Short Colt in this revolver and .357 bullets. I tried to shoot .355 and I could never make them work. But .357 and .358 bullets work. With the load I use using .357 bullets I can keep them all in the X zone on ICORE targets which would be 2" at 50 yds.

I guess what I am trying to say is in my opinion I agree with Mike. You can shoot bullets designed or should I say sized for the barrel you have or just a little larger but you can't shoot smaller.

I have a revolver that the cylinder was cut back to minimize the distance from the cartridge to the forcing cone of the barrel. During this process the cylinder throat was removed due to the final length of the cylinder. The forcing cone on the barrel was extended to make up the difference.

The barrel I put on was .356 38 Super. I shoot 38 Short Colt in this revolver and .357 bullets. I tried to shoot .355 and I could never make them work. But .357 and .358 bullets work. With the load I use using .357 bullets I can keep them all in the X zone on ICORE targets which would be 2" at 50 yds.

I guess what I am trying to say is in my opinion I agree with Mike. You can shoot bullets designed or should I say sized for the barrel you have or just a little larger but you can't shoot smaller.

Some times you can as in my example with lead 9mm (.356 sized) bullets loaded into 38 and 357 cases. The accuracy is great in my guns.

Pat

I have been shooting 9mm .356 Berrys bullets of all weights in all of 2013 in my 686 and now in my 627 vcomp, and though they group a bit larger than id like, i dont feel the need to have 1" groups for the local steel matches i shoot, the steel plates are no smaller than 6" and i dont worry much about missing. I do have the correct sized bullets for the formal matches i want to shoot this year but its easy to find 9mm bullets on the shelves in various weights for practice purposes as well.

because it doesn't have any place to headspace. If you machined the cylinder for moon clips you may be able to make it work. I really have no idea but it makes sense

Exactly. I have a Ruger 38/357 Blackhawk Convertible that shoots 9mm. Just swap cylinders. The 9mm cylinder in machine to headspace inside.

I have an interest in this topic for several reasons. I own a few Ruger "9mm" revolvers, two 9mm Speed Sixes and a convertible .357/9mm Blackhawk. I have not shot any of them enough to develop an opinion on accuracy with bullet types, weights, or sizes. I do harbor a fantasy about taking my lessor-condition 9mm Speed Six and making an old style PPC gun out of it only in 9mm. It would be neat and with a proper barrel and load should be both fast (to reload with moon clips) and accurate. But alias I will probably never do the deed. I would be money far-ahead to just wait and buy a 929, if they turn out to be more than vaporware.