Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40SW/Titegroup, what lead?

Fire_Medic

How's it going fella's, go easy on me here, I did some searching but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have always referenced this board for reloading info and had great results. I'm finally getting into IDPA, going to be shooting my G22 in ESP.

I have seen the minor load info, and recently tried some Titegroup and liked it, much softer shooting than my previous few years shooting 40 with WSF.

Anyhow, my question is more towards what do you guys use for lead projectiles in a 180 for minor loads?

I have used Missouri Bullet a lot in the past and been happy, but their website says their 18BHN is meant for major PF. So if I were ti run these for a minor load will the accuracy be affected? Maybe lead build up from not running a bullet this hard fast enough?

Right now running 4.2gr of TG under Xtreme 180's loaded to 1.125" with once fired brass and CCI primers. I'm looking to save more money and increasing my volume getting serious about IDPA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a slide on order from Lone Wolf which will be accompanied by one of their 40 barrels so I won't have issues with the lead.

Thanks

FM

Bayou bullets !! Great price coated and donnie offers sample packs for you to try. I shot all montana golds for a while but like you needed to save some money. One of the member of my shooting team turned me to bayou. I use titegroup powder and they are very accurate with no more smoke than a coated bullet. I shot a bunch of lead for practice rounds but the smoke was just to bad with titgroup podwer. Another plus you will not need to change barrel bayou is fine with glock barrels.

I have used Missouri Bullet a lot in the past and been happy, but their website says their 18BHN is meant for major PF. So if I were ti run these for a minor load will the accuracy be affected? Maybe lead build up from not running a bullet this hard fast enough?

I believe what Missouri means is that that their 18bhn alloy is the best choice they offer for use with higher FPS loads as opposed to the Match 10bhn & Cowboy 12bhn alloy they offer which would be geared more toward SAS/CAS. 17-18 brinell is the current standard for commercial casting alloys and will not cause any adverse effects by using a lighter load.

Accuracy on the other hand is another story, with all other variables being constant you can't adjust one and expect the same results. You may find out that your accuracy increases using the lighter load. But anytime you are changing components or loads significantly your going to need to do a small ladder test to find the one that is going to work best for you.

Edited by lucky13bullets

Lead+glock+titegroup =smoke and leading

Look at SnS Casting coated, Bayou, BBI coated also

+1 Gabe....

Bayou bullets and WST in .40 minor.... Magic, no smoke.

I hear you brother, but powders have not been easy to find. I've used nothing but WSF for years, and no can't find it. Tried a 1# of TG and was pleased with the results, so bought 16# of TG because it's all I could find locally. So TG will be the powder for some time, lol.

I too think you'll want coated bullets, especially with Titegroup. If you don't mind the smokescreen caused by TG & uncoated lead bullets, then ask Missouri Bullets to cast some up with the softer alloy (I wouldn't shoot them on an indoor range, though- that's too much cr*p to breathe unless you enjoy being punished). I've shot several thousand of their 18 BHN bullets at minor power factor and spent a lot of time cleaning lead out of the barrel. Well maybe not a lot of time, but it seemed like it because with the coated bullets I tried (Black Bullets and Bayou Bullets) I didn't get any leading. The Black Bullets were cheaper than the Bayou, but left moly in the barrel. Moly is a lot easier to clean out than lead, though.

Thanks for serving the public.

• 2 weeks later...

yes, I tried running TG with lead in my STI and it looked like I was shooting a muzzleloader lol. Especially with our high humidity. almost the same with molys. try the new BBIs, seems like the new formula makes almost no smoke and might not be so bad with TG.

Even at minor power factor I don't like lead bullets and a stock glock barrel. Some coatings (Bayou's for example) are supposed to make things aok for Glocks, but the worst leading bullets I (and 2 friends) have found came from some bullets that apparently had the coating incorrectly applied by a small scale local bullet manufacturer.

Side note - Really bad leading is a major pain in butt to completely clean up with just brushes and solutions, I'd spend for one of the electrostatic thingies if I had to do it repeatedly.

Back to the op's question, IDPA does not require spooky good accuracy and the G22 is a great gun but not a bragging rights tack driver type gun, I'd go for plated bullets at a less that super duper bullet price, probably Berry's.

I guess I just don't let lead bother me. I've shot thousands of Missouri 180's over 2.8 grn of titegroup. I just shoot a couple of jacketed rounds at the end of every practice session. Wa-la, no lead. I have never noticed enough lead buildup in a match to effect anything. I shoot a kkm in my glock 35 for IDPA. Don't overthink it, just shoot.

I guess I just don't let lead bother me. I've shot thousands of Missouri 180's over 2.8 grn of titegroup. I just shoot a couple of jacketed rounds at the end of every practice session. Wa-la, no lead. I have never noticed enough lead buildup in a match to effect anything. I shoot a kkm in my glock 35 for IDPA. Don't overthink it, just shoot.

Seems like a lot of folks get by with ignoring the 'don't shoot lead' instructions in the Glock manual and the stock glock barrel pressure/kaboom test data you find here and there (the book titled "The Glock in Competition" has a really interesting section on duplicating Glock-lead kabooms and pressure testing up to the kaboom round).

With my luck it seems good to try and error on the side of caution when it comes to my reloading and to internet stuff. I don't think that is overthinking, now that I think about it :) .Other thing is, in IDPA the s.o.'s are supposed to attempt to position themselves on the shooters gun hand side to control the weapon if need be (i.e. in a nasty place to be when a gun blows up) so I think a lot of us are hoping that most shooters are very cautious about reloading.

I want to comment on a problem I have seen with lead bullets in at least the Springfield XDm. While I originally thought there was something wrong with the XDm, I had 4 cases blow up and crack the frame on the 5.25 frame and damage the 4.5. I finally narrowed down the problem to reloaded brass with the PMC brand on the rim and case head separation.

The rim blows off the back of the brass and makes your hand feel like a sledgehammer has hit it. It happened in both the 180 grain and 155 grain lead bullets. If you look at the spot where the rim meets the extractor piece of the brass, you can see minor imperfections that cannot be seen with the naked eye that show where it is more than likely will blow.

I checked and double checked the load, and it happened with Unique, Bullseye, and Red Dot. If a plated bullet is used, or jacketed, I have had zero failure. For some reason there must be a pressure spike when using lead bullets that the PMC brass cannot deal with. So, be very careful with PMC and lead, it hurts and will cost you.