Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Storage

Kraj

So I put the mount on my glock that im going to shoot in open this next year and realized it wont fit in the box it came in anymore. I always stored my limited gun in the glock box and my carry gun get carried obviously. So my question is what do you guys store you open guns in? Do you put it in another case when transporting it to the range?

Under my pillow :)

At home, it's in the safe all the time unless cleaning or dryfiring. When going to the range, I have a pistol sleeve I put it in. Caution: some pistol sleeves are not big enough for an Open gun, get one that has some room. I have a hardcase for long-distance travel or air travel (required).

What? You actually use an OEM gun case?! Just mess'n with you . . . I'm sure lots of people do.

I, however, find them too bulky and heavy. Regardless of the gun (production, limited or open), I buy light weight cases just large enough for the gun. And, small enough to fit in my range bag. I'm a one bag kinda guy, you see. :D

If you have a GOOD QUALITY range bag you can just keep it in a sleeve inside the bag. If you use a not so good quality range bag you should put it in a case. My Open fits in the little $10 MTM pistol case but it still takes up too much valuable space in the range bag.

I use the CED DAA large Pistol bag #1400 for each open gun. It fits in my range bag and in the safe as well. High quality thick padding, carry handle, and pouches on both sides.

^^^This, or the CED pistol sleeve.

http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/CED-Pistol-Sleeve-P146.aspx

Edited by Parallax3D

The Midway 15" gun rug fits the large/long open guns with optics and slide rackers. It has good padding, decent zippers, fits in my shootin' bag, and is good basic protection for local transportation and storage.

Cheap and it comes in lots of tacky colors, and black. ;)

I have some type of foam padded case thing. It's big enough for like 3 guns and some ammo/gear. As i collect more and more gear i'm deciding i want to ditch the big gun case and go with a nice range bag and just buy sleeves for the guns. Since my case isn't big enough for everything i still have to carry a separate bag for tools, etc. I'd like to condense it down into one nice range bag that holds everything.

• 5 weeks later...

I have a pelican case with slots for my open gun, mags, multi tool, gloves and snap cap storage cut in the foam. I am switching to a rifle size case so that I can store my limited gun in the same gun for transport and when I get home they go on a free standing pistol rack with the rod down the barrel in the safe for storage. The rest of my guns go into my soft case that is part of my range bag but the babies get special treatment.

Hard case for my open gun and then into the range bag. If you have ever got to the range and the first shot was WAY off, could make for a long day! I want to protect the sight and gun as much as possible. Pelican case on the plane is a great way to go.