Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanna set-up my G17 to be a better target shooter

SWThomas

I bought a Gen 4 G17, brand new, that already has a Zev Fulcrum trigger kit, extended mag release, and extended slide stop. I probably wouldn't have done the last two mods if they weren't already on it. I want to make this pistol a better target gun since I already have dedicated guns for CC and HD.

Basically I'm looking for advice on sights, barrels, etc... It's pretty accurate in my hands as is, but I wanna tighten the screws a little. Thanks!

I have the same pistol. I put a Dawson Precision adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front. I like them a lot.

Mine will shoot a 2" group at 50' with the factory barrel. I think it would probably do better than that with a better shooter.

I have the same pistol. I put a Dawson Precision adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front. I like them a lot.

Mine will shoot a 2" group at 50' with the factory barrel. I think it would probably do better than that with a better shooter.

I'll look into those sights. Thanks!

Is that group from a rest or offhand?

Tighten the screws on yourself. It's not going to get appreciably better modding the gun and very well could get worse. FOR ME. This is all I do to a Glock

1) Sights

2) Competition Wolff Spring Kit

3) - Connector from Glock.

On a carry gun I delete the striker spring from the kit and go with the stock Striker Spring. The rest of the springs are fine IMHO on the carry gun.

I do have a KKM barrel for shooting lead but most my Glocks shoot lead just fine. Just not my G34 so it got the KKM.

I bought my G17 a few years back and was at the range with a friend who I've known all my life as a very good shot. He can shoot my G17 so well, and accurately that I know it is not my gun or loads when I am missing. He makes very nice smiley faces on a USPSA metric from 20-25 yards away with the standard two handed, thumbs-forward grip. I cannot do this with the pistol myself yet, but if he can, then with practice I should.

It has a tungsten guide rod, and Sevigny sights, all black. That is all.

Most people will say just upgrade the sights and they would be correct. But the single most basic improvement that anyone can do to a Glock is to get rid of the finger grooves, your hand size doesnt matter, those grooves force you to cant your wrist which is why some dont like the way a glock feels and points. You might think you like the grooves until they are gone.

This..it will cost you about 100 bucks but comes with all the tools needed to do it yourself.

Regarding fiber optic front sight...strongly consider a green fiber optic. I've shot red and green and green stays very crisp visually regardless of weather conditions and backgrounds. Shooting lead outta Glock factory barrels is just plain risky no matter what anyone says. If lead is in your future, go with a good aftermarket barrel like KKM.

Regarding fiber optic front sight...strongly consider a green fiber optic. I've shot red and green and green stays very crisp visually regardless of weather conditions and backgrounds. Shooting lead outta Glock factory barrels is just plain risky no matter what anyone says. If lead is in your future, go with a good aftermarket barrel like KKM.

I'm very, very happy with plated bullets. I have no plans at all to ever go with cast bullets.

Best upgrade is ammo...followed closely by sights (I prefer warren tactical myself). All that really needs to happen is for you to aim the gun and move the trigger without disturbing the sight picture. Shouldn't be that tough...in theory :)

Sights are way too much of a personal preference for you to really give any credence to what others like. I started with the Sevigny Fixed sights. Narrow Front and Wide rear. After a period of time I realize they were not the right choice for me. While I liked the narrow front the wide rear was holding me back on longer shots. I switched to the Dawson Precision Adjustable. Narrow front (forget the width) and a more traditional rear. MUCH better for me all the way around. So before you buy, Just go to the safety area and look at peoples sights. Learn what YOU like and get that width notch combo no mater who makes it. I would not start with a really wide rear unless you know your eyes are good and you can bridge that large gap in your mind well to still get it on target at longer distances.

Edited by 98sr20ve

Order the new Dawson fixed sights from Dawson as they have a new competiotoj rear with varying width notch. Order directly from Dawson and if it dosent shoot where it needs to they swap fronts for free. That is only for sights bought direct and that have their rear sight.