Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TacIrons rear sight, what are y'all using?

GreenDragon64

I run an LMT stand A2 style rear with a standard rear aperature. I stay away from "match" rear apertures as they are too small and can make things tough when the speeds go up and the daylight goes down. You can use whatever you desire as long as it is rugged enough and simple to manipulate. I stick with A2 style because it has an easy to use elevation knob if I feel the need to dial for that last long range target.

A majority of the other iron shooters that I know use the same type of setup, except for Mike Payne and his dual Matech rig. He peruses these posts frequently and would probably chime in. Its pretty nifty set and he runs it very well.

Kuan

My absolute favorite is the rock river dominator. This as an a2 appature that clamps on to full length if your receivers rail. Claps on with two flush hex head bolts. Ihave 2. Rra sells them for $150 but you can usually find them for a lot less. I believe optics planet carries them. Sturdy as they come.

Second place is dpms clamp on sight assembly. Usually about $60 but not made as well and uses 2 big larger bolts to clamp on. Ok place to start.

Do not buy some $30 rear app that "looks ok". They are not.

Edited by Lead-Head

My Heavy Metal rifle is an A2 fixed carry handle gun. Other than custom markings on the elevation drum, it is stock.

I have a stock A3 carry handle on my iron sight mousegun. I like to look over the rear sight on hoser targets and the carry handle acts like a shotgun rib for me.

The options previously mentioned in the above posts are good as well.

Hurley

I appreciate the input from each of you. How does the MagPul gen2 flip up stack up? Amazon has the black one on sale for $40.xx (not affiliated with Amazon, just noticed the deal a little earlier).

Edited by GreenDragon64

The only problem with a rear sight that is not adjustable for elevation...what if you are zeroed at 300 and have to shoot 420 yrds? Yes, u can holdover, but dialing up a reg a2 app can be done quickly and the drum can be marked for holds.

Fixed rear apps aren't "wrong" just not as versatile.

I appreciate the input from each of you. How does the MagPul gen2 flip up stack up? Amazon has the black one on sale for $40.xx (not affiliated with Amazon, just noticed the deal a little earlier).

As Lead-Head mentioned earlier, you will be at a disadvantage with that flip up rear because there is no quick elevation adjustment for long range shots. Also you will run into windage issues because of the multiple moving parts. The Magpul series has so much side to side movement that it can result in over 6 inches of change in point of impact at 100 yds. This usually only applies to the first shot as recoil will cause the sight to settle into a consistent position. A good run on a stage can hang on a single shot, so taking on additional variables is counter productive.

A cheaper route to having a good rear sight is to find a detachable carry handle for cheap. A few minutes with a hacksaw and a file will give you a stand alone rear. This is what I ran for a number of years before I acquired the LMT.

Kuan

The DPMS or LMT rear will serve you well and there are lots of different apertures to choose from. They are rugged, precise and easy to work with. As Kuan mentioned, I do prefer a dual aperture set up. The two sights are in tandem with a standard .070" and a very large .200" peep for close fast work. The two sights can be dialed to two different ranges independently. It is a very fast and versatile kit. Trick is though the rear sight(s) must have elevation adjustments to be used for anything more than backup sights. Soooo... I run a fixed A2 FSB clamped directly to the barrel and twin flip up rears. There are only three flip rears I know of with elevation adjustment. I've been running the Matech's, but have honestly been less than impressed with the durability on my 308. I've recently switched to the Knights Armament rear unit, due to it's simpler and more robust design. I've only got a couple hundred rounds on the Knights, so I'll keep you posted on the long term durability.

It's an unusual set up and isn't for everyone, but I like it and it is useful. I should probably note, that I wasn't creative enough to think it up on my own though. I stole the idea from Rob Romero after seeing his 308 rifle.

I appreciate all of the input. I should have elaborated, the ranges I plan on shooting at are limited at 125 and 175 yards each, with the former being the range I compete at the most. With those types of yardage, could I just buy the MagPul rear, sight it in at 50 yards, and then figure my holds to 200 yards?

My only concern is wondering if the Gen 2 MagPul rear sight is compatible with an F-marked front sight post? Anybody know?

Edited by GreenDragon64

I appreciate all of the input. I should have elaborated, the ranges I plan on shooting at are limited at 125 and 175 yards each, with the former being the range I compete at the most. With those types of yardage, could I just buy the MagPul rear, sight it in at 50 yards, and then figure my holds to 200 yards?

I would still run a fixed rear in competition. As stated earlier, the Magpul sets are great for backup irons, but not as a true irons set. For that yardage you don't really need elevation adjustment, even though I would still prefer it if given the option. For a 200 yard gun, I would get a Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight. I would zero it at 50, and you should't have any big hold overs or unders for any of the ranges you're shooting. Here's an example dope chart with Sierra 69gr Match Kings going 2900 FPS at the chronograph 15 feet away

69Gr2800.jpg

U can use flip ups and I would bet the Magpul will be fine for short range work.

For fun I shot our local 3 gun at Rockcastle a few weeks ago with a 16" gun that had both front and read Samson flip-ups. Every stage had targets >100yrds and several from 200-340yrds. So if club level matches are your thing and your ranges are limited, I understand the "cool/fun" factor of a 16" dissapator irons gun. It is just not optimal.

So maybe you put a Magpul rear on this one for locals and when u decide u want to stretch it out at a major, build a 20" irons rifle made for a little more range...

Edited by Lead-Head

I run an A2 upper so the sight choice is limited.....:)

On my CTR-02 I running the DPMS sight, I cut an extra slot in the upper to move the sight all the way to the rear and cut the sight base so it clears the charging handle.

Johnson, thanks for the chart. I just saved it for a reference. Curious, what height sights is the chart based on? Standard M4 irons?

LH, I have an 18" optics rifle that I would use if I am going to a major match. I'm currently more comfortable with optics and like my set-up right now. Once I shoot the barrel out of the -planned- dissipator barrel, I will consider going with an 18" depending on if I am at a level to move up to larger matches.

Kurt, what made you decide on the A2 upper? Did you look at the durability and the ability of the sight to stay zeroed? I guess when you're a high speed, low drag shooter you're chunking the rifle in the barrel faster than a scalded rabbit.

No I'm not a "rapid gun abandoner". You will never win a match on dumping a gun real fast, but i have seen plenty get D.Q.ed for doing it too fast and having them bounce out or slide off.

I use an A2 upper for my practice rifle and for shooting over seas. I would sure hate to loose a J.P. rifle in Hungary, but a cheapo A2 rifle I can replace. I also use one because of sight radius and if you are going to just shoot irons, why not use an upper that already has them built right in?

Ok, I haven't watched many videos of pros shooting stages, grad school has just winded down so I'll add that to my to-do list. Thanks for your input, Kurt, I'll keep the A2 upper in mind while I mull how I want the upper set up.

Most of "today's pro's" wouldn't be able to shoot irons much less give advice on how to set them up. A thinned front sight (.035-.040) will give you the best results for longer range shots. An a-2 rear or a dpms clamp on for a flat top will give you the best bang for the rear. A 20" barrel will not only give you premium velocity but also allow for a longer sight radius.

But above all things, patience is what makes a great irons shooter.

Try a clamp on LMT or DPMS as suggested earlier BUT with a Merit infinitely adjustable aperture mounted in the KNS conversion instead of the standard A-2 aperture.

What advantage does this have over the standard aperture? I'm not understanding what advantage that has over the standard A2. Not trying to be rude, I just don't understand.

A thinned front sight (.035-.040) will give you the best results for longer range shots.

I forgot about this, definitely helps a lot.

Try a clamp on LMT or DPMS as suggested earlier BUT with a Merit infinitely adjustable aperture mounted in the KNS conversion instead of the standard A-2 aperture.

What advantage does this have over the standard aperture? I'm not understanding what advantage that has over the standard A2. Not trying to be rude, I just don't understand.

A thinned front sight (.035-.040) will give you the best results for longer range shots.

I forgot about this, definitely helps a lot.

The adjustable nature of the Merit adjustable aperture allows it to be opened or removed for hoser stages. It can also be dialed down depending upon the precision of the shots and/or lighting conditions on the stage. As it is an 'iris' there is NO change in POI vs POA thru the change in opening.

• 4 weeks later...

I run an A2 upper so the sight choice is limited..... :)

On my CTR-02 I running the DPMS sight, I cut an extra slot in the upper to move the sight all the way to the rear and cut the sight base so it clears the charging handle.

What are you using for your front sight on the CTR-02?

Thanks,

MC

Edited by 1911-45