Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taking A File To The DP Adjustable Rear

zzulu

I guess the subject line says it all.

I would prefer a 0,145" to 0.150" wide notch instead of the 0.125". Has anyone defiled (sorry) a Dawson adjustable rear in such a way? I have never looked closely enough at one so I don't know if it is even possible to open it that much.

It's curious to me at least that a wider notch is not offered for the "old eyes" etc.

In my day, I have filed more sights than I could count. More often, I am narrowing the front blade because of gun maker's love affair with .140" - .150" front sights that look like barn doors. Shaving the front sight makes the rear notch look bigger, also makes it easier to center IMHO.

I have very good files for the purpose, and I also use kapton tape to protect the surfaces the file should not touch. If you are filing a rear notch, put a slight angle on the vertical edges to make sure the side you see presents a sharp edge.

If you are filing a front sight, again a slight angle inward along the bore axis on each edge makes sure the side you see will look sharp.

Edited by bountyhunter

In my day, I have filed more sights than I could count. More often, I am narrowing the front blade because of gun maker's love affair with .140" - .150" front sights that look like barn doors. Shaving the front sight makes the rear notch look bigger, also makes it easier to center IMHO.

I have very good files for the purpose, and I also use kapton tape to protect the surfaces the file should not touch. If you are filing a rear notch, put a slight angle on the vertical edges to make sure the side you see presents a sharp edge.

If you are filing a front sight, again a slight angle inward along the bore axis on each edge makes sure the side you see will look sharp.

This is good advice.

I wouldn't trust myself to do a good enough job by hand :). If you're not set on the adjustable sights, their new Competition fixed rear sight is available in various width notches up to .155". I like the .135" on my G34.

+1 I just got a set of the new Dawson Competition Fixed sight, it is Awesome. I went with .145 rear width & .125 front width

I received my new DP adjustable rear and after seeing how thick the notch sides are (front to back) and upon further reflection, I decided not to attempt the modification. I coupled it with a DP .285x .100 FO front and after 100 rounds, I'm warming up to the .125 notch. (I have been using the stock Glock notch up until now)

I plan to use this sight for a while and will re-evaluate it in the future.

This process of selecting the best sight combination for me is a bit like finding the "best" carry holster. I have one that I love but I also have a drawer full of 'em!

Thanks to all for the very fine input.

ZZ

Edited by zzulu

• 1 year later...

Not to hijack the tread, but it seems resolved. Has anyone had trouble with a G34 fitting in the production box with these adjustable sights? I would like to give them a try, but don't want to find out after getting them they don't qualify.

I filed my rears to .180" Seems too wide, but the results show they work well. You either have to use a Pilar file, only cuts on the sides, not on the bottom, and check right/left with a caliper to make sure it is an even cut. I have down a couple of sights on the mill, but it takes alot longer to indicate center, and cut, and the measured results with a file are within .002", without the setup.

Edited by 9x45

Brownell's Oxopho-Blue (Cold Blue) works very well.

Even better if you heat the sight up to just 100 degrees but really should use 4-0 steel wool very lightly and Re-blue the sight(s) several times.