Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Southern Revolver Championship

hopalong

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking more and more like next SPRING....

IF and WHEN it gets done it will NOT be just another match.... it WILL be a class act. or none at all....

My Club hosts the MS 3-gun match and I am the MD for it and it will be in September so I will only do 1 at a time.....

THis in NOT forgotten just put on Hold.

Thanks to all for their Interest and input.

SAM KEEN

• 1 month later...

Keep all of us updated as to the specifics. I'm here in Florida and we have a pretty big revo following despite the auto boys. Regardless, I will be glad to help in any way I can. If it spins, I'm in! :D

If you have it close to another major place, meaning within 2 weeks, you may be able to seduce a couple of Aussies to come and play :rolleyes: , hard to justify plane flights for just one match.

e.g We leave for the US in 6 weeks, shoot a Pin & Steel match in PA in early June then fly back for the IRC. :D

Always keen for another shoot abroad.

Keep all of us updated as to the specifics. I'm here in Florida and we have a pretty big revo following despite the auto boys. Regardless, I will be glad to help in any way I can. If it spins, I'm in!  :D

RobE, Where in Florida are you? I'm in the Tampa area and there is little revo shooting here.

Cliff

Keep all of us updated as to the specifics. I'm here in Florida and we have a pretty big revo following despite the auto boys. Regardless, I will be glad to help in any way I can. If it spins, I'm in!  :D

RobE, Where in Florida are you? I'm in the Tampa area and there is little revo shooting here.

Cliff

Cliff, I'm here in Orlando. I actually used to shoot with you a lot at Gateway in Jacksonville for the monthly ICORE matches. Where in the Tampa area are you? Tampa itself? Clearwater? St.Petersburg? I'm originally from that area...

By the way, Cliff, congratulations on your finish at the Florida state match. Seeing as you shot L10 instead of revolver...were you shooting a 627 8-shot? If so, kudos to you, sir!

RobE,

I live in St. Pete. Have not been to Jax in about a year. Are they still running the match? Where do you shoot in Orlando?? Ever go to Frostproof?? The matches I shoot around here never have revo shooters. Once in a while, someone will bring one out because they didn't load ant ammo for their open gun.

Good guess on the State match. I used a 627 in 38 super. It was really fun. The new 9 round rule bit my butt a few times and there was a lot of steel the would jump out of the way of my bullets so I had lots of extra reloads.

Cliff

Cliff,

I haven't been to Jax in quite a while either...they couldn't find anyone to take the lead and stick with it from what I hear. I haven't heard anything else about it or seen results so I believe it's dead. Too bad, they had some good stages. As for here in Orlando, I shoot a monthly ICORE match at East Orange and the occasional match at either CFRPC or Titusville. I have tried but failed to get to Frostproof to shoot a match, my schedules always conflict. How about St.Pete? Do you ever go to Wyoming Antelope? If so/if not, any other decent clubs down that way?

Do you have any suggestions or tips for a wheelie gun shooter aspiring to succeed in ICORE, USPSA and IDPA? I can't seem to connect on the combination of speed and accuracy...it's usually one or the other with me, never both at the same time.

Sorry for the long post everyone but I figured everyone can benefit from Cliff's experience and information about clubs...SUPPORT THE SPORT!!!

Rob, I have never made out to East Orange. I've always wanted to go shoot with Dick and Bob. The Wyoming Antelope Club is a good shoot on the 4th Sunday; 4 stages with a classifier. I also shoot Ruskin on the 1st Sunday. A very good match with 6 stages with a classifier. I almost never see any other revo shooters. If you have the time come down, shoot me an email and make sure there: cliffwalsh@verizon.net.

I've never shot IDPA. As for IPSC and ICORE, it is all practice. Shoot as much as you can. Dry fire and practice reloads at home when you can't shoot. Read the other threads on this forum, shooting a revo is still shooting at its core and all the techniques and skills of the other more popular divisions apply.

Cliff

Rob,  I have never made out to East Orange. I've always wanted to go shoot with Dick and Bob. The Wyoming Antelope Club is a good shoot on the 4th Sunday; 4 stages with a classifier. I also shoot Ruskin on the 1st Sunday. A very good match with 6 stages with a classifier. I almost never see any other revo shooters. If you have the time come down, shoot me an email and make sure there: cliffwalsh@verizon.net.

I've never shot IDPA.  As for IPSC and ICORE,  it is all practice. Shoot as much as you can. Dry fire and practice reloads at home when you can't shoot. Read the other threads on this forum, shooting a revo is still shooting at its core and all the techniques and skills of the other more popular divisions apply.

Cliff

Cliff,

Thanks for the info on the other clubs and your advice. I will definitely try to make it to one of those matches if my schedule permits. As for East Orange, I am officially inviting you and any other readers to come on down to throw some lead. We have a match every week on Monday and Thursday at 7PM. The first Thursday night is ICORE, second is IDPA, third is USPSA and the fourth is a Bowling Pin match- every Monday night is a practical/tactical match with different scenarios. Also, East Orange is a revo friendly club, pretty healthy amount of wheelgun shooters at times.

By the way, what is this "practice" that you speak of? :lol: I try to as much as I can but I'm also trying to fight the temptation to go auto at times. Are there any resources you might suggest for good practice techniques, setups or general scenarios? Any advice is appreciated.

Regardless, thanks for all the info, sir!

• 2 months later...

I know it is a dangerous thing but I was thinking......

Option 1:

Saturday, 6 shot guns ONLY (maybe get Jerry to do some demonstrations after)

Sunday, OPEN guns, shoot what you bring OPEN rules per USPSA (major/minor)

Iron sighted 7&8 shots will be included in this division (but they can be

comped!!!

Option 2:

Saturday, all guns fitting the same description as above

Sunday, all guns fitting the same description as above

One of the main reasons I want to do this is to show USPSA there is more support for revolvers (USPSA rev division....6 shooters) than they think and to also show them there is way more OPEN shooters that would make them consider an OPEN revolver division .

Feedback requested !!!!!

Friday shooting will be Staff, and shooters who will not be able to make the regular time (this test drives the stages before you guys get there) ;)

Sam

I like option 1, and I love the idea of being able to shoot both guns on back-to-back days. Might not be consistent with the rulebook, but who cares. Maybe Saturday is the official USPSA match, Sunday is the renegade thing.

The entier match will be a renagade thing, only thing different than an official USPSA match is no USPSA membership required, everything else will follow USPSA rules (aside from the OPEN revolver thing)

Hope that helps explain things a little.

SAM

Hop, Sound like a plan to me. Hopefully it would be doable and I know it is not as far of a drive as I went on in June. Later rdd

I like option 1. I think being able to shoot two matches in two days would be a real draw for people traveling. Being able to shoot the open revolver would be a blast. Only shoot that thing once a year for steel. Need to blow the dust off that thing.

Sam, I'd really like to see the 6-shot limited match be a legit, sanctioned USPSA match. (The "open" match can be the renegade part.) That way USPSA has to recognize us, somebody can write it up for Front Sight, etc., etc., etc.

Can't it be set up as a "restricted" match where people can technically sign up and shoot other divisions, but match recognition is only given to the revolvers? (I'm not real familiar with the rules on this, I guess...)

Carmoney,

The answer to that question is yes it can be done that way, and I'm not really opposed to that option, just thinking some of the ICORE shooters that don't shoot USPSA and are not members would/might come shoot 6 guns if it wasn't "Santioned"

Remember the intent of it is to get as many REVOLVER shooters in 1 spot possible shooting a USPSA match to open the eyes of the non-believers!!!!!

More comments and suggestions Please !!!!!!

I would rather have to weigh lots of input from others than try to single handedly do this :wacko:

Even Better, others interested in getting it off the ground let me know and we'll set something up !!!!

SAM

Sam,

I run a "monster" match down here. 40-60 round stages. I only recognize open and limited for cash payback but have match results and trophy's to all divisions with required participation.

I wanted the match to be recognized so folks coming that didn't know me would have faith the match would be run safely and under certain rules and to pay USPSA. It couldn't be sanctioned due to the illegal round count and to be recognized I had to "recognize" all the divisions.

I think they charged me a buck a head. I think it's a plus to instill confidience in folks that match will be somewhat familiar as far as rules, safety, and procedures.

Keep me posted, I'll be there. Also if you need any help getting anything done.....anything at all, be sure and give Cliff a call.

• 3 weeks later...

Sam, watching your conversation with MR Norman over on the other page makes me all the more convinced that a sanctioned USPSA revolver-only match is the way to go.

Think about how many more revo shooters we could have had at Nationals if (a) everybody could have signed up without having to jump on that waiting list at exactly the stroke of midnight, and (B) there weren't the largest Limited and Production match in the country going on at exactly the same time!

Many (if not most) of your better IPSC shooters own and are capable of shooting a wheelgun. We might be surprised who would show up if a truly good revolver-only match (with nice prize table and/or meaningful cash payback) were set up on a weekend with no other major matches around the country.

Just a thought.....

Mike, A little feed back.

I already have to do a "Sanctioned" major match and for the type of match I have in mind I really don't want to go through the BS with USPSA for Sanctioning.

In this "Sanctioned" match I am wearing the hats of, Match director, Staff manager(usually the Range masters job but it is better that I get him a staff) Sponsor/prize table coordinator, Stage design(on paper and the ground), Secretary and will do the Cash payback. Just too much for one person !!!!

For the Revolver match I do not intend to "overextend" myself, thus no "sanction" their will be plenty of reasons for anyone interested in shooting Revolvers in USPSA type shooting to show up and shoot, but I am not going to actively seek out Sponsors/prize table donors. Maybe a volunteer ?? or two ??

I have verbal commitment from Several of the "TOP" shooters (revo and non-revo) to shoot as long as there is not a big conflict (and there won't be)

I have a good range with plenty of room, in a Major City with a MAJOR airport for those who would fly.

I can get a class act RO staff with the help of the "Impending range master"

I have the names of the persons to talk to in the "business" to help get some MAJOR Corporate support. May even have T.V. support if we can get it all scheduled and timed right.

Maybe we will even invite MR. VOIGHT to come, I'm sure he'd LOVE to !!!!!!

But I have to get this other "Sanctioned" match out of the way, and get over it, as I will not even want to shoot a gun when it is over.... :angry:

I hope you can understand, this "Southern Revolver Championships" will be the result of hard work, and stubbornness most likely more of the second than the first and I will be the first to tell you I have that quality covered with plenty to spare. ;)

But as I have said before, It is going to happen...... When it happens it will be a class act or will not happen at ALL(see first part of this statement) I will need help in many ways, the best way for now is to keep tossing it around with everyone else you think might be remotely interested and after this "Sanctioned" match with the help of a few others maybe we can get the ball rolling. :)

hope that explains things a little.

Hopalong/Sam

...a sanctioned USPSA revolver-only match is the way to go. 

The match management terms are likely confusing. Moreso now that we are running as "Levels".

Level 1 (Approved) - this is easy to manage, and cheap to run.

No classifier = $1.50/per shooter to USPSA

Level 1 (Approved) - w/ classifier = $3.00/per shooter

Level 1 (Approved) - Special (up to four) classifier match = max of $5.00/per shooter

Level 1 matches are often our local monthly matches. Some larger matches are run as Level 1 as well (that is up to the match organizers, I believe).

Level 2 (Sanctioned) - These are usually the State/Section matches, and some larger matches. There are a few more hoops to jump through to run a Level 2 match.

Level 2 without classifier = $2.50/shooter

Level 2 with classifier = $4.00/shooter

Level 3 (Tournament) - These are often the Area matches (and the Nationals). Some larger matches may opt to run as a Level 3 (like we did for the Ohio match this year). Level 3 matches = $5.00/shooter and can include up to 2 classifier stages.

Also...somewhere out there, matches have been run as USPSA recognized matches. I just don't know what that means really. I haven't found any documentation on it. (Anybody?) But, from what I understand, a recognized match (approved thru Sedro) follows the saftey and scoring rules of USPSA and pays the Level 1 match fees (which is more than fair for use of USPSA's established system).

-------------

If I were organizing a Revolver only USPSA match...

I'd look to run it as a Level 1 or a "recognized" match.

I would include 3 divisions:

- Open (using revolver, but following the USPSA Open division rules, which are...open:) ) Dots and comps...9/38 allowed to make Major. No round limitations. No holster and equipment placement limitations.

- Revolver (same as you are used to now) 6 rounds before a reload. 40 or bigger to make Major.

- Production. Follow the USPSA Production rules to the letter. Everybody scores Minor (9/38 or bigger). Up to 10 rounds. No race holsters. Equipment placement restrictions.

Running it like that would allow revolver shooter to get an honest representation of where there equipment would currently fit into USPSA shooting.

If you want to bend those equipment rules somewhat, then I think the only way to run the match woul be as a "recognized" match. Still should be fine.