Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP 01 vs. SP 01 Shadow

mtwashingtonhunter

I have an SP-01 (non-Shadow) that I run in USPSA and IDPA. It has been done up, w/ comp hammer, sights, old 85C trigger, and CGW Ultra-Lite kit and SRT. I love it. Great gun, runs like water from a well. The only real difference in the function between the 2 is the SA take-up before the break. The Shadow is a non-FPB, leaving less take-up.

My shadow and my SP01 have the same amount of takeup.

I believe the only difference is the reset. The reset on the SP01 is marginally longer but come on, its a single action gun with a 2.5mmish reset...it hardly matters.

For the price, the SP01 can be oufitted MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

My shadow and my SP01 have the same amount of takeup.

I believe the only difference is the reset. The reset on the SP01 is marginally longer but come on, its a single action gun with a 2.5mmish reset...it hardly matters.

For the price, the SP01 can be oufitted MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

agreed on the reset...and you are right, for a starter DA/SA on a budget, the SP-01 is it

The price of the pistol quickly becomes irrelevant compared to the price of ammo IMHO.

In addition to the trigger, the SP01 Shadow comes with a sight cut that allows for more of a target-style sight. Milling the slide will cos you time and money and bump you out of SSP in IDPA and out of Production in USPSA.

CZ Custom worked over the triggers in my 75B and SP01 Shadow. The 75B trigger is quite good, but it has noticeable stacking and more reset than the Shadow one.

I love my shadown but Bigfish is right. You can get practically the same gun for less in the 85 Combat. Mink at Automatic Accuracy worked my shadow over and did a fantastic job on the trigger and i went back and had the short reset installed. Made a noticeable difference in the reset but its another $100. Also if you are going to shoot IDPA its tough to get the shadow to make SSP weight.

You can get the same sight picture on an SP01 via the use of CZ customs CZ 75 dovetail sights.

I found a used SP01 for an absolute STEAL of a price that is now my training gun. I use my Shadow for matches because i prefer the LPA adjustable sight. Eventually i will get the SP01 milled for the same sight as that gun is FAR more accurate than my shadow. Luck of the draw i guess but if i could do it all over again i would have just bought two SP01's...or for that matter...three for the price of my shadow...

The nice thing if you only have firing pin block guns, you'll not notice the difference in resets.

I shot a 75b stainless for years and earned my GM card with that gun.

There are some things on the Shadows that are not on the other guns, so it becomes just a decision on the details and how set it up.

I'm chiming in late, but very good valid points are being made. I agree, the SP-01 for the money is tough to beat. You can pick one up for around $600.00 and make it run like a plucked rooster for less than a Shadow. Not to mention you can actually find an SP-01 if push comes to shove. I have build many, many SP-01's with the firing pin block in place and the only difference is about 1mm extra of SA reset.

If you can really tell the difference between a 2 mm's and 3mm SA reset in action shooting, your technique is all wrong.

Edited by schmeky

Milling the slide will cos you time and money and bump you out of SSP in IDPA and out of Production in USPSA.

You might want to re read Appendix D4, 21.2B in the USPSA rulebook...

Meant to write IPSC, not USPSA.

I guess to circle back to your original question. Shadows, be they SP01 or 75, are set up the best for competition . IMHO. the other CZs can be made to be great shooters and sometimes can be done for less money, especially if you are able to do some of the work yourself.

I went with a 75 shadow after a few IDPA matches (when I decided I was going to keep doing this) because I didn't want to work it over myself, being less experienced with working on guns. CZC did a great job with it, and I regret nothing. they worked over a 97b for me recently, because I wanted to star shooting it in IDPA from the day it arrived. Once again great work. Now tat I'm more familiar with the guns my winter project is going to e working on a used sp01 shadow picked up.

CZs are a bit of an addiction. Since I got my first 83 in 9x18 it seems I can't stop buying them :)

I guess to circle back to your original question. Shadows, be they SP01 or 75, are set up the best for competition . IMHO. the other CZs can be made to be great shooters and sometimes can be done for less money, especially if you are able to do some of the work yourself.

Much obliged! Pretty sure I can so some mods myself... but would feel better knowing an expert gunsmith completed some mods.

SP-01 Shadow vs. 75 Shadow

The main difference is a short dustcover vs. a long dustcover. There are a couple other tiny differences, but the dustcover is really what sets the 2 apart. I own both, and for me, the 75 Shadow balances just a touch better. I think, for the most part, the SP-01 is more popular. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one.