Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first off Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Ok, I was wondering if anybody added a window to their extended mag tubes for indicating when it was full?

Awhile back when I was searching the net for custom Rem 1100 shotguns for 3gun......(hey I know theres a lot better guns, but its what I got, so I have to use it for now) I came across an 1100 on gunbroker or something that had a window cut into the mage tube extention.

Since I have just started 3gun (3rd match this Saturday coming) and I have also just started the "Load2" method with a Mark Otto rig, the but stock will be on my shoulder and gun almost upside down. Im thinking the window could come in handy. Or do I think to much? :blush:

Edited by Mike Bell

It would probably create a weak point in the tube, even with some form of glass on it. Especially since the norm is running the tube past the end of the barrel for capacity. I could see how spiking a shotgun in a dump barrel would bend or break it.

If you had a steel tube, maybe you could drill witness holes, if you just have to see it. But planning your stage is just a better idea. Even though it hardly ever works out how I plan, I like a tube that holds an even number of shells, as I primarily load 2 or 4. But if I have to make an extra shot, I just stuff until full anyway, and let the one that don't fit fall. And, if it holds more than I think it should, my plan is already screwed.

Sounds like a GOOD idea to me, a small slot will not compromise the strength , the debris, reason could be a much bigger problem.

A series of 1/8” wide slots or holes (opposed to one long slot) might not comprise too much strength but debris would still be an issue, it would not take much dust, a splinter or speck of gravel, etc. to bind a follower in the tube. I think I'll just keep counting and trying to plan my loading.

I saw something over at AR15.com showing a tutorial on how to convert standard AR mags to a windowed version using clear epoxy and a beeswax coated backer piece. You probably could take the same steps to ensure no excess material interfered with the follower or spring.

I've thought about this, something like a gear indicator. I know when I started riding motorcycle I wanted one, but eventually I outgrew the need.

I wonder if the follower had some electrical contacts and the tube had some corresponding contacts along it length could you make a shell count indicator? If not a numerical indicator, discret LEDs along the length of the tube, that light depending on where the follower is.

Mechanically I think the small slots, serving the same function as the holes in a pistol magazine, would be workable and likely best.

I understand some (from reading here) people don't actually keep a complete count of whats in the tube but track misses/drops to their plan, and load 1s & 2s as necessary to get back on plan.

well after shooting my 3rd 3-gun match but 1st match with the "Load2" method I realized that any window would only have been seen at pre-staging. Im loading with the butt stock on my shoulder so I couldn't see the location marks I made with a pencil before the match. I really don't think a window will work like I think I want it to.

At times I felt like I was really loading fast but I did have a couple of hang ups and I did try to load an extra set one time. However, I was better then before and with some more practice I think I can really speed up.

Shoot your shotgun more often....the weight and balance of my M2 changes and I can usually FEEL if I have less than 2-3 shells in the gun. No window required. Stage planning works well too, plan where to reload and maybe give yourself a miss or two in that stage plan if you tube is long enough to stand you possibly loading more than you may need by a shell or two.