Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building my first USPSA Limited gun, I need some suggestions

wtw250

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post so I apologize if it is a little out of the norm or does not follow specific guidelines. I am somewhat new to USPSA shooting with a few competitions under my belt and I have decided this is the sport for me and I am ready to take this to the next level. I am in the designing and planning stages of building a limited gun from the ground up and need some help. I really don't know where to start. 5" or 6" gun? sight tracker barrel? Ignition parts? Narrow frame or wide frame? ramped or unramped? what sights? I would like to hear what has worked for everyone out there and what has failed. I came very close to purchasing an STI Apeiro but decided I could spend the same amount of money to have a fully customized gun built exactly how I want. I am definitly heading down the road of a 2011 frame with the island barrel, but to be honest that is about as far as I've made it. I look forward to everyones responses, after reading through this forum a bit, I'm sure I'll have some very opinionated replies. Thanks guys and gals!

So the 2011 route is definitely your direction? I'm a Glock guy so I won't give you any ideas if your mind is made up on that front.

Have you decided on a caliber? 40S&W lets you stay in major PF (extra points for non-A-zone hits), but gives you more capacity than 45acp. 9mm major only works in Open, even though the platform would work for that. I would suggest seriously considering 40!

Sorry about that, yes I would like to stay in the 40 cal since I have lots of reloading supplies already set up for the round. I am currently shooting a gen 4 glock 35 and am looking at making the move to a fully custom STI.

I've never competed with a single action, but that trigger system is really sweet. If someone has the money, making the switch could represent a lot of fun, and that is the main purpose of this thing anyway. Playing with new toys is part of the allure for competition. Go for it!!

Buy a good used STI or similar and shoot it for a while. After that you will have a better understanding exactly what you want in a custom gun. The gun really doesn't make a huge difference in your shooting ability. Practice and training does. However, ammo costs more than guns, so shoot whatever you enjoy. I built a 6" limited gun on an STI frame with a sight tracker barrel and love it. However, I recently got an SP01 Shadow custom for production class, and am loving that too. It's great to have choices!

Mike

Edited by Croomrider

There are so many options and some aren't better or worse then any others. I'm starting my second build . It's going to be a 9mm 2011 for 3 gun usage . First off if you're having it built you need to pick a gunsmith. Do your research on who does what , how much, how long it takes.

Did you mean that you're building the gun yourself btw? If so then that's a whole different kettle of fish right there. Then it is down to your machining skills in terms of getting a frame to slide kit or buying all the components unfit. Getting a slide with serrations or bald , sight cuts or not .

Ramped frame means you don't have to cut it . and on and on and on and on Every part you buy has a thread dedicated to it and will have differing opinions

If your new a new shooter or new to 2011 flatform you will probably not feel the difference between a 5" and 6" or sightracker and regular barrel. Ramped cut is irrelevant to how you shoot. Most 2011 5" limited gun are ramped and bull barrel. Buy whatever gun is within your budget cause you will spend more on accesories and ammo. Goodluck finding your right gun.

Hi everyone, I want to say thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. Yesterday my search ended when I saw the SV Infinity posted in the classifieds section of the forums. The infinity was already a gun I had in the back of my mind and after a couple of quick pms with the owner it all fell together perfectly. I wanted to build a custom gun so that it would be exactly what I wanted, but after doing some research, the SV Infinity seems to fit exactly what I was after to begin with. Being that I am still growing in this sport, I'm certain the gun will be better than I am for quite a while but I am looking forward to following her through a course fire and letting her tell me what i'm doing wrong lol Thanks again guys, all of your opinions are much appreciated!

• post-7294-0-59176100-1385901923_thumb.jp

Hi everyone, I want to say thanks for all the great advice and suggestions. Yesterday my search ended when I saw the SV Infinity posted in the classifieds section of the forums. The infinity was already a gun I had in the back of my mind and after a couple of quick pms with the owner it all fell together perfectly. I wanted to build a custom gun so that it would be exactly what I wanted, but after doing some research, the SV Infinity seems to fit exactly what I was after to begin with. Being that I am still growing in this sport, I'm certain the gun will be better than I am for quite a while but I am looking forward to following her through a course fire and letting her tell me what i'm doing wrong lol Thanks again guys, all of your opinions are much appreciated!

Any idea on how long it will take them to build it?

Any idea on how long it will take them to build it?

Looks like he bought the used one in the pic.

Happy shooting amigo!

• 3 weeks later...