Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When would it become advantageous to shoot major pf rifle?

Most long gun matches in the US dont really care about major pf, since they're scored time-plus and for the ones that dont, shooting a major pf rifle is pretty worthless since the scoring doesnt make up for the increased recoil and lower capacity.

In my experience and somewhat limited testing, 300 pf would still leave .223 ahead, and at 250 it would be beneficial to drop .223

When do you think it would be worth leaving .223 for 6.5, 6.8 or even 7.62x39, if we dont consider cost?

When shooting things that bleed?

Oh, wait, just realized you were talking about for score. Don't forget 300blk. It's a neat little cartridge.

The problem with PF is that if it's used in a match, it must be tested to ensure a competitor meets their claimed PF. Who wants to travel to a match to shoot a chrono stage?

Edited by Bryan 45

For most matches, time plus scoring has done away with any reason to shoot anything but .223/5.56, the exception being the matches that recognize HeMan/Heavy Metal class/division. I have shot a few matches that allowed you to shoot one A,B or C (or two anywhere) to neutralize with a .308/7.62x51 or larger rifle. This helps even out the mag capacity difference.

Hurley

when you could perform all the same tasks within 90% of the time differential, and carry 95% of the ammo capacity, and still have a trajectory that allows poa poi hits to within a 2-2.5" radius out to 200 yds.

trapr

Now if the pf gets lowered to 280 for major, it may be time to just say WTF!!! lets just shoot RF!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently testing this same question myself for the past 6 months. Using a 16inch 300BLK. So far in rifle side matches and rifle only matches , it is NOT working out. Split times doubles , and also triple on small targets vs. minor loads. I haven't given up just yet, but if a PF change @ 280, I can guarantee that there will be a lot of very unhappy .223 shooters.

when you could perform all the same tasks within 90% of the time differential, and carry 95% of the ammo capacity, and still have a trajectory that allows poa poi hits to within a 2-2.5" radius out to 200 yds.

trapr

Now if the pf gets lowered to 280 for major, it may be time to just say WTF!!! lets just shoot RF!!!!!

Laser tag or how about simulated recoil and go airsoft! Jeeze Louise.

Are there any major 3 gun matches in the United States that put a scoring zone'd carboard type target out at 100 plus yards where the RO's actually have to walk out 100 plus yards to score the rifle hits?

(That would make for a lot of down time between shooters.

The RO would be walking his legs off.

This is ' Murica! We gots AR500 steel targets to shoot at!)

RNT is talking about doing for practical rifle what we did for practical shotgun, kick start the right way to do things and show US shooters and MD/RM's, how it should be done!!!

All steel fall,

paper at distance,

all steel painted for every shooter,

major/minor scoring, with REAL power factors!!!

Targets with No shoots at distance,

shooting positions other than prone and "in your face"

Stay tuned,,........RNT, Old School Rules Practical Rifle Invitational, World Championship!!!!!

Trapr

RNT is talking about doing for practical rifle what we did for practical shotgun, kick start the right way to do things and show US shooters and MD/RM's, how it should be done!!!

All steel fall,

paper at distance,

Stay tuned,,........RNT, Old School Rules Practical Rifle Invitational, World Championship!!!!!

Trapr

Please...please be on a week that I can shoot!

I am about halfway through the development of a build with a new cartridge that I think might be beneficial for the longer matches like Blue Ridge and RM3G. I think I've been able to prove to myself that for matches with no PF and nothing past 200 yards, the 45 grain bullet at 2300 fps out of a light 16" is the best path. This other one will be at the opposite side of the "standard" 18" 3Gun rifle from that.

All steel fall,

paper at distance,

Trapr

I like the sound of this!

Hurley

Hey, didn't you guys already do that in Oklahoma in...2011??

I went to one of your rifle matches, that was paint steel and all that...okay, there was the softball issue, :devil: but a solid rifle match other than that! Way fun, except you left the furnace on overdrive! :goof:

Are you going to find a range with more long rifle???

Please pick a good weekend for me, too!

• 2 weeks later...

All steel fall,

paper at distance,

Trapr

World Championship? Is it going to be a sure enough "invitational"? How does one get an invite? Will Papa John's be supplying the paper targets?

Is this just more pot stirrage?