Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Controlling Tumbler Dust

Xhris

So recently I switched to the Lizard Litter and NuFinish for media, and I have noticed my entire garage covered in this orange dust.

Is there any trick to eliminating that? I would assume just a few squirts of water out of a bottle would help, but didn't try it yet. Figured someone here would know better.

Thanks

Chris

A used dryer fabric softener sheet helps trap some of the dust. But I found out when using the animal type litter, instead of the tumbler specific media, that there is a tremendous amout of dust generated. All my brass were covered in dust. I dumped the litter and went back to the crushed corn cob media.

I thought about the Lid, I figured having the holes in it was causing a lot of problems. I tried putting a box over the tumbler to control the dust, but it just made the brass so dusty.

Next step was going to be to put a hole in the box, attach the shopvac tube, and see what happens...

First - I will try the dryer sheets.

Thanks!

I have a couple of the lyman 1200s with the sieve type lids and made gaskets to act as dust covers for them out of 1/16” silicon sheeting, but you could use thick plastic sheet (like visqueen or velostat) or thin rubber sheet or a heavy duty garbage bag….whatever you got. Just take the material and cut it into a circle with a hole in the middle (an old ABBA record works great for a template, plus if you ruin the record while doing this an angel will get its wings :cheers: ). After loading the tumbler with media and brass put the gasket over the center post with the gasket covering the mouth of the tumbler, and put the lid on over the gasket. Not only does it keep the dust inside the tumbler, but it makes it quieter since a lot of the noise comes from the lid rattling against the bowl.

The dryer sheets help, as does a little squirt of mineral spirits and nufinish. But using the gaskets solved the issue of walnut tumbler dust on the floor for me with the Lyman vented top tumblers

I use 2 used dryer sheets in the small Dillon tumbler and 4 in the big one. I still get some dust but not nearly as much. I have also started dumping it into the squirrel cage outside of the basement after noticing a film of dust on everything as you did. I have also changed the dryer sheets halfway through the tumbling time and that helps with a dirty or dusty batch of media.

+1 on low odor mineral spirits. But, have you thought about switching to corn cobb media. I don't know if it'll be any cheaper than what you're using but you can get a 40lb bag from drillspot for $34 and that includes shipping. I like the 14/20 grade; it's not as dusty as the finer grade.

Mineral sprits AND tumble/sift outside!

This, or run a fan pointing outside. The benefit to the fan is it will blow away the dust from the media as you're pouring out of the tumbler into whatever you use to separate the brass/media. This will also keep the media cleaner.

...but you can get a 40lb bag from drillspot for $34 and that includes shipping...

Drillspot used to be a great deal, but now it is $34.90 for the media plus $34.45 for the shipping = not such a great deal any longer.

If your local Grainger stocks it there isn't a shipping charge, not sure if they charge shipping if they have to order it.

Repete - just another example that tape can fix almost anything!

Dang it, I've been using new dryer sheets. My wife hadn't started yelling at me, so I thought I was doing good. I'll be switching to used. I also use a fan to blow the dust as I dump it out into a pan lined with an old t-shirt so I can shake them around try to get any remaining dust on the outside of the shells.

Do any of you add the Nu Finish to used media, or just the new stuff?

If you are near a Harbor Freight, try their fine grade walnut hull. It is small enough it won't catch in the flash hole. Also wash out the tumbler each time after you use it. This gets rid of any dust in it each time it's used.

If you stainless tumble, just separate the pins and dump the brass directly into the vibrator, any moisture left in the brass will also minimize the dust developed. I think the corn cob develops more dust than good walnut hull, just my opinion, and I don't use any corn cob at all any more.

...but you can get a 40lb bag from drillspot for $34 and that includes shipping...

Drillspot used to be a great deal, but now it is $34.90 for the media plus $34.45 for the shipping = not such a great deal any longer.

If your local Grainger stocks it there isn't a shipping charge, not sure if they charge shipping if they have to order it.

Wow, that's crazy. The shipping cost the same as the media. I'll call them tomorrow to see what gives. Going from $34 a bag, including shipping to $68 dollars, including shipping is hard to believe. I'm wondering if someone typed in the wrong info at their website. I live in Gainesville, and they use to ship from Jacksonville and it would arrive the next day after ordering it. Maybe I can just pick it up in Jacksonville.

Anyhow, I'll call tomorrow and find out what's going on.

I use a 50/50 mixture walnut and corn cob and add 1 tablespoon of mineral spirits per pound of media and it works like a champ. I also separate my brass from media using two 5-gallon buckets. In one bucket I've cut a series of slots that allows the media to fall through into the second bucket. I just flip the tumbler over onto the top of the bucket and let it all fall into the bucket. I use a large Lyman tumbler.

So as my Fiancé was going through the garage looking at the dust that now covered everything... She agreed heading to harbor freight today to buy an ultrasonic was a great idea :goof:

Problem Solved

Well, I called drillspot and Grainger this morning. Customer service with drillspot confirmed the change in shipping charges. I won't be dealing with them anymore. I ordered the same product this morning from Grainger and there is no shipping charge since I'll be picking it up at the store. Please excuse the plug but I also got a Florida Farm Bureau discount. Me so happy now, TGO reclaimed the title and I continue to get cheap media. :)

So as my Fiancé was going through the garage looking at the dust that now covered everything... She agreed heading to harbor freight today to buy an ultrasonic was a great idea :goof:

Problem Solved

Maybe you'll have better luck than I did with an ultrasonic cleaner. Perhaps I was doing something wrong, but it didn't clean my brass worth a hoot, and I still had to throw the brass in a tumbler to polish them. There is also capacity of the cleaner to consider, and how much you desire to clean at a time.

I wash my brass in a five gallon bucket with a soap and vinegar solution before they are tumbled. This allows my media to last a lot longer. You also have to consider that not all media is as dusty as what you've been using. In the end the ultrasonic cleaner may do the trick for you, but I wouldn't give up on other media types and sources. For example, corn cob media and walnut media from one source may not be as dusty as media from another source. It tried several sources before I settled on Econoline (same stuff drillpsot and Grainger sells) several years ago. There is dust but not near as much dust as some of the others I've tried. Dust, heck I can live with it, and it cleans up easy. Tell the wife to stay the heck out of your man cave if she doesn't like it. :goof:

Edited by grapemeister