Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Delta Hammer

Cy Soto

What is the benefit of the Tanfoglio Delta hammer over their standard hammer? Is it that has a lighter weight or are the hammer hooks cut at a different angle? Also, how does this hammer compare to Eric G's new DA hammer?

Eric's hammer is about 3 grams lighter than the factory one. The hooks are either cut in a different angle or cut more precise and so they improve the trigger pull dramatically. Combined with the new golden 1-piece sear it practically eliminated ant and all creep, and the SA become very crisp. Definitely one of the best improvements I have made on my Stock II

Eric's hammer is about 3 grams lighter than the factory one. The hooks are either cut in a different angle or cut more precise and so they improve the trigger pull dramatically. Combined with the new golden 1-piece sear it practically eliminated ant and all creep, and the SA become very crisp. Definitely one of the best improvements I have made on my Stock II

Were these parts drop in?

Combined with the new golden 1-piece sear it practically eliminated ant and all creep, and the SA become very crisp. Definitely one of the best improvements I have made on my Stock II

I haven't heard about this sear. Is this a Tanfoglio OEM part or is it from Eric's Xtreme line?

Last time I spoke with Eric he told me that he was using his Xtreme hammer with the "long" sear (offered though his web page).

It looks like the hooks are farther from the pivot on the EG hammer. So then the sear has less pressure on it and the release motion will go more straight up (in paralell to where the pressure from the hammer hooks are) as opposed to just slightly back and up with the stock position.

As far as the "delta hammer" goes, the hooks are 1/2 the length of the stock DA/SA hammer, so you get less creep.

Combined with the new golden 1-piece sear it practically eliminated ant and all creep, and the SA become very crisp. Definitely one of the best improvements I have made on my Stock II

I haven't heard about this sear. Is this a Tanfoglio OEM part or is it from Eric's Xtreme line?

Last time I spoke with Eric he told me that he was using his Xtreme hammer with the "long" sear (offered though his web page).

Yes I am quite sure they are OEM. But they look like the old type 1-piece sear aside from the golden color and the fact that they extend further back, resulting in the hammer striking the firing pin with greater force.

MWC, yes they are drop in, no fitting required. I had EGW parts in my old Limited Custom, and honestly these parts are just as good as the EGW. In IPSC Production you are not allowed to switch to after marked internals, and even if you were I would go with Eric's parts. The EGW takes to much fitting to my liking... I dont like fiddling with guns more than necessary.

In my stock 2 (SF), EGs new hammer gave me a shorter reset compared to the stock delta hammer. Hammer hooks are cut differently. It is similar to CZ competition hammer upon installation, you have to either shave the pad on the safety or the sear to engage the safety since the sear is pushed more forward.

So, if I decide to keep the DA/SA instead of just converting it (or having it converted) over to SA, is it best to use the Eric Grauffel Extreme hammer and the EGW sear and polish the internals (or have one of the top smiths mentioned here on the forum do the install and internal polish)? I understand that Henning's hammer and trigger are SA. Am I on the right track?

So, if I decide to keep the DA/SA instead of just converting it (or having it converted) over to SA, is it best to use the Eric Grauffel Extreme hammer and the EGW sear and polish the internals (or have one of the top smiths mentioned here on the forum do the install and internal polish)? I understand that Henning's hammer and trigger are SA. Am I on the right track?

What gun do you have? I used stock sear. I didnt touch the OEM sear since its surface hardened(?). I havent tried EGWs sear. I think its designed for SA? To convert DA/SA to SA is the disco/interruptor only but no sure about the sear.

What gun do you have? I used stock sear. I didnt touch the OEM sear since its surface hardened(?). I havent tried EGWs sear. I think its designed for SA? To convert DA/SA to SA is the disco/interruptor only but no sure about the sear.

Its a Tanfo/EAA Witness Poly. I was going to have it converted to SA using Henning's hammer and sear, but if I use a factory SA trigger (which I have left over from a flat trigger install on my Witness Match) the trigger pre-travel and/or over-travel screws end up bearing on the polymer frame and I'm afraid it would it gouged up and so wouldn't retain the adjustments . I would love to use H's flat trigger, but the trigger pivot bolt is too short for the polymer frame. I'm thinking of just cutting the bolt head off and relying on the polymer to retain it, but I'd like to carry it once in a while and I guess I'm a worrywart.

I think (from GunslingerDk and Cy Soto's comments) that the DA/SA sear is shorter and so doesn't result in as good a trigger feel as using the longer SA sear. I think the EGW sear is also a longer sear.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

It sounds that the Eric Grauffel hammer can be used for both DA/SA and SA pistols, but the EGW hammer can only be used for SA pistols. Until someone solves the problem of putting Henning's flat trigger in the polymer frame (the trigger pivot bolt is too short because the polymer frame is thicker than the steel frames), it seems like I'd be better off using the E.G. hammer and a long sear and the stock trigger.

I'd be happiest with an outstanding SA trigger and I really like H's flat trigger because it doesn't wobble side to side in the triggerguard, but I can deal with a good DA/SA.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

If you want to eliminate the side to side wobble use a CZ trigger and drill out the pin holes to more exact tolerances (CZ pins are smaller). A CZ trigger with the CGW trigger return spring will yield just as light a trigger as the Henning trigger system.

Is the CZ trigger hardened steel or is it fairly easy to drill it (to open up the pin holes)?

If you want to eliminate the side to side wobble use a CZ trigger and drill out the pin holes to more exact tolerances (CZ pins are smaller). A CZ trigger with the CGW trigger return spring will yield just as light a trigger as the Henning trigger system.

Thanks Kneeling. Do you know what diameter to drill the CZ trigger hole(s) out to?

• 6 months later...

Has anyone used both the Delta Hammer and the Eric Hammer in their Tanfo? I run the Eric hammer in my tuned Stock II and have an extra Delta hammer that I just happened to have. I put in my Stock II experimenting but since I had a custom trigger job it did not work (well it worked but the stroke was so short it prolly wouldn't ignite anything) so I am asking has anyone used both in true testing environment and which one yielded the best results? I hate to go an get an Eric hammer for my new stock III if the Delta is just as good. Thanks

Gump

Has anyone used both the Delta Hammer and the Eric Hammer in their Tanfo? I run the Eric hammer in my tuned Stock II and have an extra Delta hammer that I just happened to have. I put in my Stock II experimenting but since I had a custom trigger job it did not work (well it worked but the stroke was so short it prolly wouldn't ignite anything) so I am asking has anyone used both in true testing environment and which one yielded the best results? I hate to go an get an Eric hammer for my new stock III if the Delta is just as good. Thanks

Gump

I don't understand what you are saying about "stroke was so short it prolly wouldn't ignite anything".

So the interruptor wasn't taking the hammer back far enough? Or it was only catching on the 1/2 cock hooks? Can you describe this more?

I posted video on the trigger pull weight thread here on Tanfo forum and explained what it was about. I'm typing on phone or I'd link it. Basically was just playing around and put a delta hammer in stock II just to see the differences. I was expecting a heavier trigger but instead got one 50% lighter about. The timing is off with the delta hammer but runs fine with Eric hammer. Like said was just seeing what would happen.

Question is I'm trying to decide which to put in my new Stock III and mostly have read Eric's hammer is better but also the delta is not bad. So wanted to get opinions. Go see the video and you'll see what I mean by "very short DA stroke"

Sent from my flux capacitor

if the timing is out and your DA stroke is not long enough then it's not a real comparison. generally once a sear is fitted to a particular hammer I'd prefer to keep those 2 together. so if you want to try the delta hammer again, consider re-fitting the sear that it was originally used with (or just buy another sear to go with it, they are quite cheap).

Did you end up taking pics of the hammers together. the distance of the hooks from the centre pin hole as well as the position and angle and length of the hooks will give you some idea of how the hammer will behave. :)

whatever parts you replaced to it made your double action incomplete, you call it short but the interrupter is slipping away from trigger bow before the hammer gets fully cocked and that gun will not fire in double action sorry for the bad news I am sure by now you have already confirmed that on the range anyway