Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm 5" Pro or Core Model?

Stephen7942

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a new pistol for production division. I currently use a full size M&P.

Buds has both models in stock the 5" pro model is $589 and the 5" Core model is $639 - Is it worth the extra money to have the option of adding a red dot at a later date?

Are any of the internals different in the two models or is it just strictly the ability to mount a red dot.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-SS

I don't think the CORE models are listed on the approved Production List.

I was facing this exact decision a few months back. Unless you plan to shoot open, the milled slide really offers no benefit. Since I planned to shoot 40 major in Limited, just the standard 5" Pro Series seemed like the better option to me. There are a lot of sights available for the standard slide, and so far as I know, only Dawson offers sights for the CORE. If you like the Novak fiber sights that come standard on the 5" Pro Series, that's even more money you will save.

The internals should be identical. S&W seems pretty hit or miss with their updated components. Supposedly they've got a new improved trigger with a clicky reset, but I have yet to see one. The 5" Pro 40 I recently picked up has an older style sear housing, while a FS 9 I've had a while has the newest sear housing & the updated barrel. Go figure?

I have the PRO CORE and I love it. You can find them for a little cheaper, I think I got mine for $603

http://www.kygunco.com/smith-and-wesson-mp40l-pro-series-core-40-sw-15rd-5in-black-pistol-66613 so for $20 more I like that I have the option of a red dot in the future. And now that dawson just put out a rear sight for the CORE id def get the CORE. I have the CORE pro in .40 Apex ram, trigger and FSS kit. (Even the pro models trigger sucks)

I was facing this exact decision a few months back. Unless you plan to shoot open, the milled slide really offers no benefit. Since I planned to shoot 40 major in Limited, just the standard 5" Pro Series seemed like the better option to me. There are a lot of sights available for the standard slide, and so far as I know, only Dawson offers sights for the CORE. If you like the Novak fiber sights that come standard on the 5" Pro Series, that's even more money you will save.

The internals should be identical. S&W seems pretty hit or miss with their updated components. Supposedly they've got a new improved trigger with a clicky reset, but I have yet to see one. The 5" Pro 40 I recently picked up has an older style sear housing, while a FS 9 I've had a while has the newest sear housing & the updated barrel. Go figure?

You are correct, the CORE models are not on the approved Production List.

I have queried USPSA officials and they have stated the reason why is that S&W hasn't submitted the appropriate paperwork. I am still scratching my head over this.

Does anyone else have anymore info on this matter?

I just bought a new 5" C.O.R.E. 9mm ($624 shipped on Gunbroker). It arrived on Friday, on Saturday I mounted and dialed in my Deltapoint, and today I shot a local IDPA match with it (they had no problem allowing a open gun). I love it! The trigger is not bad (but I have a Apex Forward Set trigger & sear kit coming). The way S&W handled the mounting of the optics is very slick. I will use it for steel and Open Minor, and local IDPA matches (both local clubs said they will allow it with the optic). The gun is very accurate with 130PF 147 FMJ match loads, and it shoots to point of aim with those loads using the factory iron sights. I like it so much I am goind to buy another one for SSP and Production (if allowed), and will most likely buy Dawson's new sights for it. That way I have the option of mounting a red dot down the road (I am 60 and depending on which glasses I use I can see the target or the sights clearly, but not both at the same time).

I just got my M&P CORE Pro 9mm 5" and have mounted the RMR adjustable. I sighted it in with both AA&A 147 and 115 loads. (Each obviousy had very different settings.) I added a SSS aluminum L-10/ESP magwell, Apex polymer FS trigger kit, and reversed the mag catch. I am really happy with the gun. It handles great, is very accurate, and with the co-witness tactical sights and RMR, it's very fast to pick up targets quickly. Oh, and it's a lot of fun to shoot!

I just got my M&P CORE Pro 9mm 5" and have mounted the RMR adjustable. I sighted it in with both AA&A 147 and 115 loads. (Each obviousy had very different settings.) I added a SSS aluminum L-10/ESP magwell, Apex polymer FS trigger kit, and reversed the mag catch. I am really happy with the gun. It handles great, is very accurate, and with the co-witness tactical sights and RMR, it's very fast to pick up targets quickly. Oh, and it's a lot of fun to shoot!

Good info and sounds like a nice setup. Are you running this in open?

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct, the CORE models are not on the approved Production List.

I have queried USPSA officials and they have stated the reason why is that S&W hasn't submitted the appropriate paperwork. I am still scratching my head over this.

Does anyone else have anymore info on this matter?

That is the same reasoning used with the 40L. A 4 year old pistol that still has not made the Production approved list.

I doubt it. Very specific models are listed, and anytime a certain inclusion is to be assumed, a brief phrase is written about it.

I do wonder if maybe the 40L lacked the minimum production amount of 2000...? I seem to see a lot of CORE models, but maybe they haven't cranked out 2000 of each variant yet? Who knows, but I do hope they stay on top of it. It seems rather lazy to design a competition pistol and forget to get it approved for competition.

Edited by Dustysa4

I don't think the core models will see production approval any time soon. The 5" pro 40 cal just recently made the approved list within the last couple months. The core models would not fit in under the general pro series approval, since the existing pro series guns are approved by model and barrel length.

Also I doubt production approval is high on Smith and Wesson's priorities for the core series, since they are designed around a red dot sight which itself is not allowed in production.

• 2 months later...

I will be watching this, further. As a geezer, I definitely need help when the sun gets low. I purchased a 9mm CORE model for playing Threes but was planning on getting a 40 CORE version next but really do not want to go with red dots in the daylight until I have to, give in an inch, lose an inch. Really isn't a huge deal as I shoot for fun and am not very competitive, so whatever. I will shoot basic equipment as long as I can get away with it.

I will be watching this, further. As a geezer, I definitely need help when the sun gets low. I purchased a 9mm CORE model for playing Threes but was planning on getting a 40 CORE version next but really do not want to go with red dots in the daylight until I have to, give in an inch, lose an inch. Really isn't a huge deal as I shoot for fun and am not very competitive, so whatever. I will shoot basic equipment as long as I can get away with it.

At my age, I have lost all the inches in need to have lost. Some not at all needed. :devil:

But that said, I have both a Pro Core with RDS and a iron sight one as well. BUT..... I will tell you now, daylight or dusk I really love, or lets say I love saving another inch and shooting the RDS. Bet you will also.

B)

The way the market is going right now I am not sure how long the wait will be on a new CORE PRO40 Model but I have pretty much decided that this will be my next purchase. Until then I already have one in 9mm that I can play with. If the weather is ok I plan to go out tomorrow and watch two local club matches fer a short bit.

The way the market is going right now I am not sure how long the wait will be on a new CORE PRO40 Model but I have pretty much decided that this will be my next purchase. Until then I already have one in 9mm that I can play with. If the weather is ok I plan to go out tomorrow and watch two local club matches fer a short bit.

I don't know where you are, but locally in GA I know of at least one store with a couple in stock.

• 6 months later...

M&P 9mm 4" (27.2 oz.), M&P Core .40S&W 4.25 barrel (24 oz.), M&P Core .40S&W 5 in barrel (26 oz.), M&P Core 9mm 4.25 Barrel (24 oz.), M&P Core 9mm 5 inch barrel (26 oz.), M&P Pro series 5 9mm (29.2 oz.), M&P Pro series 5 .40 S&W (29.2 oz.),

Sweet Nice to know its been approved! but what makes it 3 ounces lighter?

Edited by DocMedic

The M&P Pro Series CORE is still an M&P Pro Series as far as USPSA Production is concerned. Without optic, it shoots Production no problem.

I wouldn't advise that.

Why not?

Well the points moot now since its been approved under the USPSA production list. But the M&P 9pro C.O.R.E. 5inch Isn't considered the same pistol as the M&P 9 Pro 5in. Just like how the the Glock 34 Gen4 wasn't the same pistol as previous generation of Glock 34s until it was put on the list. Look I don't make the rules..

Edited by DocMedic