Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So the future is here? 3D Printed Stainless 1911!

StraightUp_OG

http://gizmodo.com/the-world-just-got-its-first-entirely-3d-printed-metal-1460338036

They do not show the process in this vid but I will try to find out more info. Something to think about but I still think CNC is faster right now.

The process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_metal_laser_sintering

Edited by StraightUp_OG

What is a 3D printed gun? I have seen a few articles recently about the AR and now a 1911, but I haven't found an article explaining the benefits or how it is made.

3D - three dimensional printing. Like printing on paper. But paper is a flat surface (2D - length and width)). 3D has height too. And, instead of printing with ink, they print with something that has real mass, holds shape, and that can work with the printer...typically plastic.

I guess you'd get all the benefits of a poorly made plastic gun. Yeah...it needs work. :) It sound like they have figured out a way to make it with metal. Still...there are different strengths of metals, which is important.

If you go to youtube and look up 3D printing, you will see examples.

The big thing with 3D printing might be what it represents. Which is billed as a freedom to make what you want. Not sure that is the reality, but it is interesting.

That is really cool! I didn't realize they were 3d printing with metal now. And there 1911 has shot almost 50 rds, lol, I hope it holds up to many more than that... Did anyone else notice the way the slide stalled while going back into battery for a few of the shots?

That is really cool! I didn't realize they were 3d printing with metal now. And there 1911 has shot almost 50 rds, lol, I hope it holds up to many more than that... Did anyone else notice the way the slide stalled while going back into battery for a few of the shots?

Well, it is still a 1911 :)

17-4 stainless and Inco 625 are more than enough material wise for the application. The heat treat matters (Inco 620 was used for a proposed m2 longevity package for the barrel)

Not sure what sort of property loss you get with the sintering process, but with laser you will have very precise heat input control and grain structure wise it Will remain fairly tight and uniform.

Give it a few more years and it'll be an emerging manufacturing process (beyond what it is today)

There are a couple of different metal printing technologies. One is the sintering process listed above. The other uses a laser to actually weld the powder together. It is supposed to be as strong as billet, but this was from the sales rep doing the demo. He told us there are companies printing blocks, body panels, etc using this technology. For low volume it is more cost effective than building dies, or creating sand casting molds, etc. I'll try and dig up more info on the 2nd process.

Here's a cool video on direct metal laser sintering:

I think the coolest thing about 3D Printing is how it's inspiring people to think outside the box. We live in exciting times :cheers: Here's a video on 3D printed houses:

Edited by kneelingatlas

WOW! Imagine how it will be once the tech matures, when you order parts you will not have them shipped to you. You place an order or buy a license and then they send the instructions to your printer...shazzam the part comes out of your printer!