Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 2011 build, 5'' or 6'' slide?

landry92

I'm picking up a new STI 2011 standard frame kit. I'm going to build it into a 9mm stock gun for steel shoots. My question is should I go with a 5in or 6in slide? Also I am not sure of the frame I want. I was looking at an STI, caspian or an already machined Brazo slide. I'm leaning towards a caspian slide, any suggestions why I should go with an STI slide instead?

Thanks

Edited by landry92

9mm is low recoil to start with, and you're going to have a bunch of extra weight in the barrel due to the small bore. So a six inch gun will be super top heavy. Even with a metal grip. I would do 5" bushing style barrel with long dust cover and lightened slide.

I have a 6" Benny Hill 9mm 2011 with a lightened slide that I bought for steel matches. Y'know, it's a nice gun, but I've had a hell of a time getting it not to cycle sluggishly. I can't stand to feel the gun go "chunk-chunk" every time I fire a shot. I have seriously considered trading it off for a decent 5" 9mm. My 95-gr. rocket 9mm loads help speed up the action some, but I still don't know.....

I have had two open guns that started life with STI slides. Both slides had normal and not excessive lightening cuts. Both of the slides cracked with less than 5000 rounds on each gun. Both slides were replaced with Caspian slides with the same lightening cuts. There has been no problem with either gun since.

Hello: A light 6" 9mm is pretty sweet. I use 121grain bullet at 135PF. It knocks down steel great and the sight radius works on those long small plates. I also have a 4.150" bull barreled pistol I use for IDPA and it is also sweet to shoot. Lastly I have a 5" bushing barreled 9mm that fits on the same 2011 frame as the IDPA barrel. Favourite one to shoot for steel matches---6" bushing barrel. Hose them down matches 4.150" bull barrel. Thanks, Eric