Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Criterion barrels from Brownells on BO

mwx40x40

heck, ive been waiting over 6 months for a ranier select barrel to get back in stoc, hence my query about the brownell barrel. What is the accuracy reputation of the criterion barrel if i may ask? May consider a 16" version.

I have an upper with a Criterion 18" heavy barrel in 223. I haven't put too many rounds through it but did it shoot my long range load about the same as the 18" Noveske in my 3 gun rifle (Hornady 75gr bthp)...10 shot group in about an inch.

Pat,

I built an upper with the Criterion 18" hybrid after TX multigun this year.

Firing my 77gr SMK handloads off a bench it will shoot 5 shot groups at 200 yards (my 3G zero) that could be covered with a nickel. Remember, the Criterion guys used to work at Krieger....they know accurate barrels.

My hoser load is 55 grain Hornady FMJ-BT. I typically shoot paper and under 100 yd targets with the 55s and transition to 77s beyond 100. So, my shooting with 55s isn't very demanding. I do know that the 200 yd zero with 77s runs above POA from muzzle to 100 yards with the 55s and that I can still group under an inch for 5 x 55s at 100 yards. Sorry, nothing more precise or scientific with 55s.

This is a 1:8 twist so I suspect it is gentler on lighter bullets than the more common 1:7 twist.

I had some weird experiences with brownells back orders. I was waiting on a seekins adj gas block. Was just browsing on the website one day, and noticed it in stock. I figured I would get my back order in the mail soon. After a week, it never came in. Went back to check and it was out of stock again. If you are really set on getting the barrel, check in once a week or more on the website and if it shows in stock, just order it, call them and cancel the back order.

Pat,

I built an upper with the Criterion 18" hybrid after TX multigun this year.

Firing my 77gr SMK handloads off a bench it will shoot 5 shot groups at 200 yards (my 3G zero) that could be covered with a nickel. Remember, the Criterion guys used to work at Krieger....they know accurate barrels.

Every group? What is the average. This is how I determine accuracy.

77grainSierraMatchKing_zps38083285.jpg

With respect people have a tendency to show their best groups only and then say X rifle is a 1/4 moa rifle. In reality getting under 3/4 moa consistently with a semi is hard. If your getting nickle sized groups at 200 yards consistently then a lot of bench rest shooters are going to want that barrel. I just wish I could get someone to do what I did above with their Crieteron barrel so I can no rather to make the leap or not. Also what is the weight on a 18 inch hybrid contour.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have a family and a life outside of 3 Gun; therefore, I will never make time to write a term paper or photo slideshow of an afternoon at the range.

Pat, I like you. We squadded together at TX Multigun in April. Here is my offer to you: PM me your mailing address and I will mail my upper to Alaska. You take 60 days to shoot groups and take pictures. Send it back when you're done and post results to the forum.

I have a family and a life outside of 3 Gun; therefore, I will never make time to write a term paper or photo slideshow of an afternoon at the range.

Pat, I like you. We squadded together at TX Multigun in April. Here is my offer to you: PM me your mailing address and I will mail my upper to Alaska. You take 60 days to shoot groups and take pictures. Send it back when you're done and post results to the forum.

Did not realize who I was talking to. Sorry about that.

pat

Did not realize who I was talking to. Sorry about that.

pat

Tagged for results if you take him up on his offer. Please post results in this thread if you do.

Joe Mamma

Pat,

I went out today and shot 4 5-round groups with my 18" Criterion HBAR today at 100 yards. My load is the 75gr Hornady BTHP over 23.8gr Reloder 15, moving about 2600fps from my 18" Noveske. This load was worked up for the Noveske but still worked pretty well in the Criterion. I figure playing with the load a little could tighten it up a hair.

Average group size between the 4 is .968"

Criterion75gr.jpg

Edited by rboyes

Pat,

I went out today and shot 4 5-round groups with my 18" Criterion HBAR today at 100 yards. My load is the 75gr Hornady BTHP over 23.8gr Reloder 15, moving about 2600fps from my 18" Noveske. This load was worked up for the Noveske but still worked pretty well in the Criterion. I figure playing with the load a little could tighten it up a hair.

Average group size between the 4 is .968"

Criterion75gr.jpg

Awesome thanks! That is what I wanted to see.

Pat