Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIllon 650 shell plate jump issue?

Cut the spring. Just nibble a little at a time till you get it the way you like it. Mine settled down after about 1.5 coils. I doubt the plate is out of alignment. I keep one of these handy for when I drop the ball down the hole.

pickup%2520tool.jpg

Edited by jlamphere

I found that clipping a half a coil at a time until things were right and making sure the underside of the shell plate bolt is well greased allieviated my snapping problems.

I did try the bearing kit, but I just didn't like it and I had just as good of luck with the above process. Plus I didn't have the loaded ammunition ejection issues that I had with the bearing kit.

YMMV

Plus I didn't have the loaded ammunition ejection issues that I had with the bearing kit.

YMMV

That's because you didn't read the tips and tricks for the 650 thread closely enough. The top washer is not needed for the bearing kit to work it's magic. I made a very minor tweak of the ejector and it runs perfect.

Plus I didn't have the loaded ammunition ejection issues that I had with the bearing kit.

YMMV

That's because you didn't read the tips and tricks for the 650 thread closely enough. The top washer is not needed for the bearing kit to work it's magic. I made a very minor tweak of the ejector and it runs perfect.

No, I only used the one washer.

YMMV

Then you should not be having issues with the ejection. I have recommended dropping one washer to more than a few guys who were having problems and it corrected it.

Tighten the shell plate more. The bearing lets you snug the Plate down much more and still rotate. Should be able to turn by hand with firm pressure.

+1 on this; it has to be TIGHT to the point where it almost hangs up. Then after a few turns it should loose enough to smoothly glide.

YMMV

Then you should not be having issues with the ejection. I have recommended dropping one washer to more than a few guys who were having problems and it corrected it.

It only happened when I was reloading or processing 223. Since I got a 1050, my 650s haven't seen a 223 case. ;) With everyone else's success with this addition to the 650, I have to wonder if it may have been a tolerance stacking thing with my machine?

When I'm loading other cartridges on the 650s, the clipped spring and grease on the underside of the shell plate bolt works fine for my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

YMMV

It only happened when I was reloading or processing 223. Since I got a 1050, my 650s haven't seen a 223 case. ;) With everyone else's success with this addition to the 650, I have to wonder if it may have been a tolerance stacking thing with my machine?

When I'm loading other cartridges on the 650s, the clipped spring and grease on the underside of the shell plate bolt works fine for my needs.

Same here. The bearing never worked right. Clipping the spring was the ticket.

YMMV

I had that skipping shell plate problem on my 650 and read this thread and the setup thread. I have cut one coil off the index ball spring and that helped some. I ordered and installed the bearing/washer kit with 2 washers, one on top and one on the bottom of the bearing. I loaded some .38sp match rounds and found that the ejector wire would either come off the shellplate bolt or would just raise up high enough to catch and not eject the rounds after they rotated out of the crimp die position.

I can take off the top washer and that will lower the ejector wire some but is that enough so that the ejector wire would stay down low enough so that it would eject the rounds reliably? Or is there an additional minor tweak, as was mentioned in the quoted post above that is also necessary? If there is a tweak could you describe it. It got awfully frustrating trying to load 500 match rounds and have to constantly fight the ejector wire movement.

Run it without the top washer and just slightly bend the ejector wire so that it reaches the hole without having the urge to pop up. I.e. Bend it down I little in the middle and bend the leg out just a little. And I mean a LITTLE. It doesn't take much to get it to fit right.

• 6 years later...
45 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

I did search. Came up with this old post but figured someone knew the answer.... Thanks for the details!

Guess the best solution is still to round off the shell plate exiting edge? 

Case lube and keeping the ejector wire pressed in does it for me. Recently depriming some 9mm and did not lube. Every 5th round was hanging up.

9 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I did search. Came up with this old post but figured someone knew the answer.... Thanks for the details!

Guess the best solution is still to round off the shell plate exiting edge? 

No need to buy more stuff or grind on the shell plate. Just get a pair of pliers and some patience. Tweak the wire and test. You'll find the sweet spot. The picks below show the wire installed with the bearing mod and 2 views of the wire showing the bend. This has been working for over 10 years. 😉

IMG_20200513_065152324.jpg

IMG_20200513_065142591.jpg

IMG_20200513_064938584_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Here's how I have mine bent. I usually only get about one or two sticky ejections per 100 but it would be great if the issue totally went away. I just tried rounding off the back edge of the shell holder. 

20200513_114311_resized_1.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

Here's how I have mine bent. I usually only get about one or two sticky ejections per 100 but it would be great if the issue totally went away. I just tried rounding off the back edge of the shell holder. 

20200513_114311_resized_1.jpg

I first tried that and got the same results as you. After moving the bend out, the wire stays in place and no hangups ejecting the finished round.

• 2 months later...