Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you prefer Heavy or light Upper?

Just wondering if people prefer a little weight on the barrel or to handle recoil or try to get it as light as possible? Like does everyone run to get the lightest free float or do some like a free float with some kinda weight?? What are your thoughts on weight out front of the rifle...

Sorry... Not even sure I asked this right..

I personally do not care for a weight forward balancing gun. My game gun is 10lbs even but perfectly balanced. While holding the gun shouldered standing unsupported if i remove my support hand nothing changes, the muzzle doesnt dip nor do i need to change anything in the way i support the gun. For me this allows the broadest possible degree in flexibility for any shooting position. My M4gery feels very similar but its 2 pounds lighter. I generally pick a bbl i like and choose the stock and foreend around that to get the balance i want. Sometimes takes some trial and error.

I prefer the gun to be fairly light , but even more so not to be front heavy. I have an 18" hybrid contour barrel with flutes . Very point-able. Of course the handguard makes a difference too. The weight further back doesn't bother me as much

Interesting how different everyone is. The reason I asked is that I just recently go into the world of rifles . Picked up a lightweight PSA 16 middy... That's very light.. Although not much to compare it to.

Then I sorta pieced together another 16" Carbine length not lightweight. Medium I guess. It is heavier.. I like the lightweight PSA........ When I shot both the lighter one jumps more not much but more... So then I start researching 3 gun configs. That's where I ultimately want to end up. There's just much variance in preference but after hundreds of Google and YouTube university I see a theme(At least more google and youtube classes keep mentioning ). 18" Rifle length. Ah, I see, longer gas tube should be better for recoil and longer barrel = longer sight radius + heavier barrel (obviously it longer, more metal) is good for accuracy and recoil, I guess. So I decided to buy a 18" rifle length SS Match barrel Meduim weight 1x8. So excited to get the box in the mail. First thing I noticed was it was heavy. Hmm.. Took out the nice new barrel and did notice, this thing is MUCH heavier than my lightweight and other 16"

So I decided I gotta go light on the freefloat.. Did my research and settled in Midwest Industries Gen2 SS....15" . I have long arms. It was metal and lighter than most and priced right. Slapped both barrel and free float on an existing upper pieced together the rest. Magpul CTR and grip, nothing special.

But now the problem The whole thing seem so heavy. Or is it just me. Put a Comp on the end and Burris MTAC on and Hmmmmm..... Are they serious? Do all these guys who look to be running aroung the 3 gun stage like spider monkeys have these heavy monsters? Can't be! Or can it? So I decided to take my question to the masses.

What is the weight and length of your 3 gun rifle? And maybe some comment on how you decided on your config. I'll weight my monster and post it too.

Honestly I think I ordered the 18" SS R-Length medium barrel form ICE arms (Stop laughing, it was affordable and available). But look at the picture for both their medium 18" SS and Heavy 18" SS. Why does the Heavy barrel look to be contoured and thinner than the pic for the medium 18" barrel? Logic tells me that the meduim looks to be more metal, thicker and no contouring so it's gotta be heavier. did they get the pics and descriptions mixed up or is it just me? I bought and received the one they say is the medium weight. Does it look right to you? Just wondering. It's all a learning process for me.

R

Edited by Rocky Patel

thm_18inchstainlessbarrelriflegas1.jpgIntroducing the ICE Arms Medium weight 18 inch 416 Stainless Steel Rifle Length Gas Match Barrel.

Barrel Specs:

- 416R Steel with 1:8 twist
- .750 at the gas block
- Chambered 5.56 NATO
- Rifle Gas Length
- Medium Weight
- Gas Port Size .100
- 2.1 lbs

And here's the Heavy barrel:

thm_18inchstainlessbarrel1.jpgICE Arms 18 inch 416R Stainless Steel Heavy Contour Barrel 1:8 Twist Description:Introducing the ICE Arms 18 inch 416R Stainless Steel Heavy Weight Match Barrel.

Barrel Specs:

- 416R Steel with 1:8 twist
- .750 at the gas block
- Chambered 5.56 NATO
- Mid Length
- Gas Port Size .082
- 2.4 lbs

HOW can that be heavier than the medium? Is it made of tungsten?

Edited by Rocky Patel

Balance is more important than a few ounces here and there. I think you will find the common weight, with optics, is in the 8 pound range. Limited guns have less mass in optics and can play it slightly different, but they are not going to be significantly lighter.

Balance is more important than a few ounces here and there. I think you will find the common weight, with optics, is in the 8 pound range. Limited guns have less mass in optics and can play it slightly different, but they are not going to be significantly lighter.

That's good info. I can use 8 as a reference point for now, thanks..

Edited by Rocky Patel

I would say I like a heavier rifle since I was a power lifter. BUT... after blowing both shoulders out in one foul swoop, I've been trying to put my optics rifle on a diet while still keeping an 18" med contour barrel.

That a good point. I had shoulder surgery last April.

I always think my heavy barrel 18 is way too much, until the buzzer sounds. Then I forget what it weighs and just enjoy its paintability and steadiness. I watched a video of it in action and there is NO recoil out of the 18" jp heavy barrel and comp. it's crazy, but the muzzle doesn't climb or dip at all. I'll take that over a lightweight barrel any day, but like everything in every shooting sport ever, it's all about the individual. do what makes YOU happy.

Doesn't anyone else run a "lead" insert in the butt stock and a pencile thin barrel, and a stailess steel lower? I have found that the more weight to the rear the flater a rifle shoots! Combine this with a good brake and you will have a #17 rifle that just doesn't move!

edited to add the Stainless lower... :)

Edited by kurtm

Doesn't anyone else run a "lead" insert in the butt stock and a pencile thin barrel? I have found that the more weight to the rear the flater a rifle shoots! Combine this with a good brake and you will have a #17 rifle that just doesn't move!

Not since I stopped shooting Highpower. Needed the lead in the buttstock to balance the lead in the front! I think it weighed 15 pounds. :D

I always think my heavy barrel 18 is way too much, until the buzzer sounds. Then I forget what it weighs and just enjoy its paintability and steadiness. I watched a video of it in action and there is NO recoil out of the 18" jp heavy barrel and comp. it's crazy, but the muzzle doesn't climb or dip at all. I'll take that over a lightweight barrel any day, but like everything in every shooting sport ever, it's all about the individual. do what makes YOU happy.

You're the one that's going to make me kick myself in the ass for sending back the heavy one. :) May just end up with one of each till I figure it out. Honestly by the time the heavy one went back it wasn't so heavy anymore. For the week or 2 that I had the heavy barrel, I put it all together and ran dry fire drills quite a bit. Kinda got used to it. Then officially found out they sent me the wrong barrel and sent it back on principle alone. I did make the decision to buy a med contour at the time and thought it was my best choice. So I figure I should at least run what I intended to first, then try something different if that does not work out. But when I sent it back I did have that thought. Maybe I could get used to it......

It's amazing to see how many opinions we have here. Almost one of each! What I get out of this is:

1. Lots of opinions

2. but each has a PERSONAL REASON behind it.

3. Take in to account all opinions, weight out what seems right for you.

4. Try a few to make you own opinions. Because no one can give you, your own opinions. Which you will need for step 5.

5. Pick the one you like from number 4.

Bada Bing! You got YOUR answer.. :) Or my answer, since I asked the question.

Once again thanks everyone for all the great input..

Rocky, you probably have a good formula for most internet forums, and many posters even here. However, there are a few old sages around here where the opinion they express is not based on a few matches in 2013, but years of work, competition and experience. The hard thing, since all you see is a virtual representation, is to learn how to sort sage from brine from old salt.

When you read a posts from the likes of KurtM, Dan Sierpina, mpeltier (there are others, these are just postings in your thread) there is a good chance they are closer to sage advice rather than internet opinions. Sure, they can drift into some old salt here and there, but almost never brine.

Just wondering if people prefer a little weight on the barrel or to handle recoil or try to get it as light as possible? Like does everyone run to get the lightest free float or do some like a free float with some kinda weight?? What are your thoughts on weight out front of the rifle...

Sorry... Not even sure I asked this right..

My JP15 with an 18 inch Light Weight contour JP barrel is my favorite AR of all time. It shoots as good as my heavy barrel Krieger precision gun at a lot less weight.

Pat

Rocky, you probably have a good formula for most internet forums, and many posters even here. However, there are a few old sages around here where the opinion they express is not based on a few matches in 2013, but years of work, competition and experience. The hard thing, since all you see is a virtual representation, is to learn how to sort sage from brine from old salt.

When you read a posts from the likes of KurtM, Dan Sierpina, mpeltier (there are others, these are just postings in your thread) there is a good chance they are closer to sage advice rather than internet opinions. Sure, they can drift into some old salt here and there, but almost never brine.

Thank you for your insight.. It's good to hear this from a 5000+ post veteran.

Also kinda validates a portion of my theory on the number of posts someone has.. I see a pattern..... High numbers are good.

R

R