Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide hangs up....

t1nm4n

Hello everyone, hopefully someone can help me with this. I have a relatively new STI Edge .40 I purchased through Brazos Gunworks, one of his HP Edges. After shooting it some (roughly 300 rounds) I have determined I don't care for the feel of the STI Recoil Master, and opted for SVI SS Guide Rod, wasn't sure what weights to get, so I got a couple 14-16, these might be a bit high for the 40s&w but let's go with this anyways.

I installed the new guide rod and just cycling the pistol with my hands it has the feel I'm looking for, but it will hang up on something inside on the slides most rearward travel, and it will hold it there. no mag in and the mag release isn't the culprit. A slight tap with the palm of my hand moves the slide forward just like it should, it feels as if there is a slight binding on something inside, this didn't happen with the Recoil Master, so I am guessing it has something to do with the new guide rod, reverse plug or the springs. I ordered these off SVI's website and being the edge is a 5" model I order government length springs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

with the slide back, can the barrel wiggle at all? How about the guiderod? Start marking the guiderod, plug and barrel with a sharpie, it will tell you were the issue is

I had a guiderod head that had a very sharp edge that was binding on the lower lugs.

Sharpie is a great idea, thank you. Never knew there might be some fitting to the plug, it does appear to sit properly, there is no movement of anything when it's in the rearward most travel. Will check fitment and update as follows.

Probably hitting the barrel lugs.

Here is what a "relieved" rod looks like to prevent that:

Guide_Rod_Fix.jpg

Mark yours with a sharpie and see if that is not where contact is being made.

That is exactly where it was, took the slide off and placed the GR in the dust cover tried to move it in the pattern it travels while cycling the pistol and noticed it was catching at the upper portions of the relief area for the barrel link, was not catching on the barrel link, as I did this with no slide or barrel, took a medium Norton stone and slowly sanded some material off and repeated several times until it didn't bind in any of the frame areas ( I did not attempt to file or sand on the frame). Was pretty close after I reassembled the pistol, and repeated this process until it has a nice smooth cycling action.

Appreciate the help and those that offered advice, it was what I needed to get this resolved.

Ok...gotta bump this thread instead of starting a new one.

My slide is hanging up as well after replacing the recoil master with a full length guide rod and a 12.5# spring. I took it over to a buddy's house last night to try and see what was causing the problem.

He thought it was this exact problem, however when we tried his two other guide rods with the relief cuts in them, it still binds up....we did the sharpie test and saw that thebottom of the guide rod, that faces the frame, was rubbing but couldnt figure out why or how.

The barrel link was also messed up and had a chip in it and would not rotate all the way down. The barrel also had some gouge marks from, ehat sti said, is the old recoil master design hitting against the barrel link section. I dont know if that is part of the problem or not? I've contacted sti to see what they thought and they said the same thing about the guide rod and relief marks....but obviously that is not the problem.

I've responded to their email about trying the other guide rods with the relief marks and it still binding up but have not heard back from them again yet.

Any ideas?

As Wes777 states the disconnector can also cause this by staying up. Look at it when the slide is fully open and slowly run the slide forward, does the disconnector stay up? If so the slide my need a slight bevel, the disconnector may be sticking on the sear spring, the disconnector may have a burr, or rough spots. (I polish all of the contacting surfaces on the trigger bow, the end of the sear spring (that rides the disconnector), the disconnector (top and the bottom front and back).

The barrel link was also messed up and had a chip in it and would not rotate all the way down. The barrel also had some gouge marks from, ehat sti said, is the old recoil master design hitting against the barrel link section. I dont know if that is part of the problem or not? I've contacted sti to see what they thought and they said the same thing about the guide rod and relief marks....but obviously that is not the problem.

I've responded to their email about trying the other guide rods with the relief marks and it still binding up but have not heard back from them again yet.

Any ideas?

It also sounds like you need a new barrel link, if there are any burrs in this area on the barrel lugs they need to be cleaned up and polished so they do not bind on the new link. (Also be sure to get the correct lenght barrel link.)

I had the exact same thing happen with my brazos HP edge, I tried everything from changing spring to adjusting the grip on the gun. Mine is now running flawless, I think that he just gets really good slide to frame fits and when they are hard chromed they get a little tighter and causes it to bind a little. I would just shoot it with the recoil master for a few thousand rounds to break it in and then switch it out. Plus Bob recommends not changing anything during the break in period to eliminate some of the guessing.

• 1 month later...

Sti customer service is good to go. I bought a used edge off another forum and it had some things that needed to be repaired. they sent me a label without question and are taking care of it for me. cant beat that!

Has the OP ever updated this thread?

My slide is hanging up as well after replacing the recoil master with a full length guide rod and a 12.5# spring. I took it over to a buddy's house last night to try and see what was causing the problem.

He thought it was this exact problem, however when we tried his two other guide rods with the relief cuts in them, it still binds up....we did the sharpie test and saw that thebottom of the guide rod, that faces the frame, was rubbing but couldnt figure out why or how.

Any ideas?

Ok just to follow up in case anyone is interested....STI Sent me a shipping return label for my gun as I stated I was having the problems listed above. It took about 5 weeks for the gun to come back to me, I received it today just as I was about to walk out the door for work.

They stated that they replaced and fit a new frame to the slide, fit a new slide stop and installed the EGW full length guide rod and reverse plug that I sent with it.

The gun is very tight now and the slide moves freely with the new guide rod and spring. I didn't have time to check the barrel to see if they replaced it or not since it had dings and that bur on it but I will as soon as I get home. I will follow up later this evening but everything seems to be good to go and customer service was very easy to deal with.

Update # 2...after breaking down the gun tonight it seems they replaced the frame, safeties, grip safety etc with a new one, fit the egw full length guide rod and plug, fit a new slide stop, fit a new barrel & either gave me a new slide or reblued the one I had because there are no wear marks on it from where my holster had rubbed the top of the slide. So if there is anything that is not new its the slide only.

The gun is very tight as I previously stated and looks brand new, which it just about is. Great experience with sti!

Edited by Prov1x

Sti customer service is good to go. I bought a used edge off another forum and it had some things that needed to be repaired. they sent me a label without question and are taking care of it for me. cant beat that!

Any ideas?

Ok just to follow up in case anyone is interested....STI Sent me a shipping return label for my gun as I stated I was having the problems listed above. It took about 5 weeks for the gun to come back to me, I received it today just as I was about to walk out the door for work.

They stated that they replaced and fit a new frame to the slide, fit a new slide stop and installed the EGW full length guide rod and reverse plug that I sent with it.

The gun is very tight now and the slide moves freely with the new guide rod and spring. I didn't have time to check the barrel to see if they replaced it or not since it had dings and that bur on it but I will as soon as I get home. I will follow up later this evening but everything seems to be good to go and customer service was very easy to deal with.

Update # 2...after breaking down the gun tonight it seems they replaced the frame, safeties, grip safety etc with a new one, fit the egw full length guide rod and plug, fit a new slide stop, fit a new barrel & either gave me a new slide or reblued the one I had because there are no wear marks on it from where my holster had rubbed the top of the slide. So if there is anything that is not new its the slide only.

The gun is very tight as I previously stated and looks brand new, which it just about is. Great experience with sti!

That's a pretty sweet deal. Slide hanging up? Lets just build ya a whole new gun! lol Good stuff. I'm glad to hear STI replaced all that for ya.

Any ideas?

That's a pretty sweet deal. Slide hanging up? Lets just build ya a whole new gun! lol Good stuff. I'm glad to hear STI replaced all that for ya.

yeah i dont know what could have been wrong with the frame for them to just replace it or what it had to do with the problems I was having??

Problem could have been the bare slide, not machined true. Does happen from time to time. CNC tools do wear. Had a limited 40 S&W built. The gunsmith was putting a Caspian Stainless slide on it and it was found that the slide was milled 0.045" off true (did send back the slide to Caspian). So we decided to go with a STI steel slide. Gun was hard chromed anyway. Would have liked the heavier Caspian stainless slide but did not want to take the chance of getting another slide with the same problem.