Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accuracy vs Speed

John Baier

I've been shooting production and as of right now my classification is a C. My question is, is it better to slow down and get all A hits or sacrifice an A hit for lets say a C or D. Has anyone figured out the ratio between time and accuracy when shooting minor?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John,

You have to get the maximum points in the least amount of time! Here's a suggestion - you need at least 90% of the available points on a stage to be in the run. So....an A = 5 and a C = 3, that is 80% on one target so for every C hit you will need 3 A's to average 90%. Remember a D = Doah!

Do not sacrifice points for time. Be patient and practice....speed will come!

Thanks Sterling,

I've been ROing to much lately and my shooting has suffered. I plan to do a lot of dry fire practicing this winter and shooting a little more next year. You are right about slowing down. I just don't want to slow down to much.

Be careful John, If you slow down any more, you'll be going backwards - lol :D . Seriously though, I have heard from MANY production shooters that you have to get A's to increase your scores. The difference from 5 points (A hit) to 3 points (a C hit) while shooting minor in production is far too hard to overcome. Get your alphas and you'll see a DRASTIC improvement. As for decreasing your time while still getting your hits, you are on the right track with the dryfire practice. One tool that is of indispensable help during the harsh winters here in the north is a semi-auto airsoft in the same configuration as your production gun (about $300 with all the goodies). They are weighted the same, and you can do bill drills in your basement or garage by filling a hefty bag with newspaper scraps and shooting it. The pellets stay in the bag, and there is no mess. The closest thing to live-fire that I have ever experienced at home. If I turn up the sensitivity on my timer and fasten it to my ball cap, the shots even register, and I can time my draws and splits-VERY COOL!!! Hope this helps.

Jeff B)

I think it is a common mistake to think in terms of going fast vesrsus slowing down to get the hits.

Either way you think of it, the focus is on time.

Change the focus over so that vision is most important. Let the sights guide your shooting.

John,

First of all remember....a D is NEVER an acceptable shot.

Getting points always comes first.....however you shouldn't slow down to do it. Shoot at the same speed, just see faster.

That said....

Look at all your major or local match results and figure out the percentage of points you shot and record that in a notebook. If it's under 90%, you need to shoot more points.

a D is NEVER an acceptable shot.

I rather had a D then a miss. Its acceptable to me if it happens.

I am a slow shooter, with my 46 years of age, 203 cm in length and 140 kg in weight. The other week I became second with 94 % in a match in Holland. I did not lose so many time, but the others were all faster. Instead I had lots of A's, so my score was better and that was the main reason.

At the EC2004 I was very slow and just because I had only two D's on the whole match (and both on stage #1) and lots of A's I did not finish last and left many youngsters behind me.

Thats the nice thing of production scoring, the score is as even important as time is.

John,

A good way to see whether Benos, Flex, Jake, and other the other super shooters are wrong is to experiment for yourself. They could be full of crap after all! :o

Set up a stage (El Pres, Bill Drill, what have you) and shoot 5 runs in two different groups. Group A shoot as fast as the sights tell you you are on the A zone. Group B shoot as fast as humanly possible, really go for broke, like you were trying to run with the big dogs (AKA Ron and Sam), accepting less visual confirmation. Then compare the hit factors.

I did the go for broke thing at a recent special classifier and tanked all the stages save one. Sometimes the way to internalize a lesson is to prove it to yourself. For me, turns out Benos had a vague idea of what he was writing about! :D

Thanks guys for the input

I never really thought about how many points I would need to compete. I just geared up and shot the stage, sounds naive I know.

I have a few books to read this winter that I know will help. Also that airsoft idea sound like a great idea.

John- I shot my last match as fast as I could go, I think BE has a point. I missed more than I shot :(

My goal is move up to B and not just on paper.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would try something different at last month's match, I slowed down and concentrated on only on getting A hits with no mikes. Also another thing I did was to just shake off mistakes and move on. I did make one big mistake. I was engaging a popper and heard the ding but at the end it was still standing. In the end I was in the middle of the production pack.

• 1 month later...
a D is NEVER an acceptable shot.

I rather had a D then a miss. Its acceptable to me if it happens.

I am a slow shooter, with my 46 years of age, 203 cm in length and 140 kg in weight. The other week I became second with 94 % in a match in Holland. I did not lose so many time, but the others were all faster. Instead I had lots of A's, so my score was better and that was the main reason.

At the EC2004 I was very slow and just because I had only two D's on the whole match (and both on stage #1) and lots of A's I did not finish last and left many youngsters behind me.

Thats the nice thing of production scoring, the score is as even important as time is.

Second NPSA 86-259.

Balance is important, IMHO speed vs accuracy should be balanced, hitfactor counts!