Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gravity

Jman

I seem to be going against the curve here, The wife and I went because of strong reviews , and we both felt like walking out half way through - Terrible movie, - Visually though, it was outstanding. But the story was sort of blah.

I seem to be going against the curve here, The wife and I went because of strong reviews , and we both felt like walking out half way through - Terrible movie, - Visually though, it was outstanding. But the story was sort of blah.

I sorta felt the same way. Im usually very forgiving of creative content in hollywood movies, but i was hoping for more realism in the events and details of what was depicted. A little more research would have paid dividends for this flick. I give it 2 stars (one for Bullock and one for Clooney, the only two actors in the whole movie)

I sorta felt the same way. Im usually very forgiving of creative content in hollywood movies, but i was hoping for more realism in the events and details of what was depicted. A little more research would have paid dividends for this flick. I give it 2 stars (one for Bullock and one for Clooney, the only two actors in the whole movie)

I agree it wasn't as good as I had hoped it would be but certainly not the worst flix I've paid to see, my wife liked it more than me.

Saw it today in IMAX 3D. That will be the last first run movie I see in IMAX and the last movie I see in 3D. I just don't think it adds that much.

The movie was visually stimulating but scientifically impossible due to the widely varying orbits of the satellites...at least that is what a rocket scientist said in an article I saw earlier this week. I kept thinking about that throughout the movie. Would have loved to see what happens after Bullock is rescued; parties, medals, parades, Congressional hearings, interrogation, etc. At least they remembered the muscle atrophy part. And I guess there was a Scott Carpenter homage in there at splash down. Either that or she just freaked after the whole ordeal and wanted out.

Edited by remoandiris

(Careful about inadvertent spoilers, there...)

Gravity was the first film I've seen that actually worked very will in 3D. I found myself inadvertently flinching when bits of orbital debris whizzed "by my head", as it were.

I know a lot about real space; I lived and breathed it all through Gemini and Apollo and beyond, and read everything I could get my hands on, and watched every minute of coverage on TV that I could find. Buzz Aldrin's nickname at NASA was "Dr. Rendezvous", as he developed the techniques for getting two spacecraft to meet up and dock, and it's complicated, involving ideas that seem contrary to what you're trying to do. (Slow down to speed up, huh, what?) That's not what happened in Gravity (they depicted simple point and shoot, instead), but it would have crossed people's eyes in the theatre to try to represent the process accurately, so I understood their reasoning.

I mercilessly picked apart "Apollo 13" years ago for dozens of stupid mistakes they made (Ron Howard should have known better), even though I enjoyed that movie, and still do.

I didn't find all that much to gripe about with Gravity. The most obvious error was that the Hubble Space Telescope and the ISS were depicted to be in the same orbital plane and altitude. They're not; not even close. HST is about a 150 miles higher than ISS and at a different orbital angle. This was brought home pointedly by the last HST servicing mission (STS-125, Atlantis, May, 2009), which occurred after the Columbia re-entry disaster 6 years prior. If a shuttle launched to meet up with HST were damaged during powered ascent beyond the ability of the astronauts to effect sufficient repairs on the tiles, then they were screwed. There would be absolutely no way to rendezvous with the ISS and await rescue because of the wildly different orbits; it just wouldn't be possible. It was therefore a "bet your ass" mission.

So they took significant theatrical license there (not to mention that there's no chinese space station!), but for purposes of the movie it was still fun and worked out. It might even convince me to get a 3d blu-ray player. Definitely thumbs up on this one!

Edited by wgnoyes

• 4 months later...

Candis and I did walk out halfway through...