Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standing reload Question

Racinready300ex

The tiger teams dropped the ball on this one... sorry... when they get their head out of their ass I'll consider renewing my license....

I suspect that this rule was written before the Tiger Teams were ever chosen.

Good point. We may be blaming the tigers for some of these "Why?" rules they had no control over. Edited by johes

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm still behind cover and in the open with a slide lock gun. correct???

I don't see how you can say you are behind cover and in the open. If you are in the open you get a PE for not using cover, if you are behind cover you get a PE for advancing during a reload.

In the stage you mentioned you engage the first 3 targets on the move. So if you run dry on those 3 you can reload moving to cover. You engaged the 4th target which required using cover. After engaging that target you are now behind cover and cannot advance. You earned a PE even though they didn't give it to you. Probably could even call that a FTDR as you were trying to get around a rule to gain a advantage.

tbarker13 hit the nail on the head. If you were behind cover while firing the last shot you may not advance until you reload.

Now, if you had neutralized all the threats before leaving cover and then fired extra, unneccessary shots while advancing...... I don't know. There's no rule against round dumping now, is there? Could be FTDR.

I think there is a rule that says when cover is available you must use it. If you reengage targets after leaving cover and the COF didn't call for that I think you get a PE for not using cover. Then maybe another one for the advancing while reloading.

I also had another thought. If they wanted it to be "REAL LIFE," why can't I do a Tac Reload why advancing behind cover. I still have a round in the chamber to engage a threat if it presents itself. I am sick and tired of IDPA stating they are trying to do things that are more real world.......because most of the stuff is not........

I also had another thought. If they wanted it to be "REAL LIFE," why can't I do a Tac Reload why advancing behind cover. I still have a round in the chamber to engage a threat if it presents itself. I am sick and tired of IDPA stating they are trying to do things that are more real world.......because most of the stuff is not........

If they made it to "real world" it wouldn't be fun, and I for one wouldn't play.

I wonder how many people in real gun fights do tac loads on the run from one place to another with out knowing where the bad guys are. I bet it's not many. They should probably force you to do standing tac loads at every shooting position before advancing. That sounds more "real life".

If they made it to "real world" it wouldn't be fun, and I for one wouldn't play.

I wonder how many people in real gun fights do tac loads on the run from one place to another with out knowing where the bad guys are. I bet it's not many. They should probably force you to do standing tac loads at every shooting position before advancing. That sounds more "real life".

I think a speed reload would be more realistic than anything in the current IDPA rulebook.

tbarker13 hit the nail on the head. If you were behind cover while firing the last shot you may not advance until you reload.

Now, if you had neutralized all the threats before leaving cover and then fired extra, unneccessary shots while advancing...... I don't know. There's no rule against round dumping now, is there? Could be FTDR.

I think there is a rule that says when cover is available you must use it. If you reengage targets after leaving cover and the COF didn't call for that I think you get a PE for not using cover. Then maybe another one for the advancing while reloading.

I think you make a good case for a PE for not using available cover.

I think a speed reload would be more realistic than anything in the current IDPA rulebook.

I doubt many people count there shots in real gun fights. They probably reload when the gun runs out, or the fight is over. I doubt a speed reload is anymore realistic.

Personally I'd rather be able to reload when ever I want, how ever I want. But that's not the rules, realistic or not. I'll play the game the best I can with in the rules I've been given. Sometimes maybe just a touch outside the rules if I can, lol

Of course, this is the problem with IDPA's reloading rules. They work for 90 percent or more of what we find in stages. But then we have examples like this that fall into a huge gray area. Some SO's might give a PE here. Others might not - ruling that there's nothing that prevents a shooter from making up shots on a target while on the move. (assuming the required # of shots were taken from cover, as required in the COF.)

Of course, this is the problem with IDPA's reloading rules. They work for 90 percent or more of what we find in stages. But then we have examples like this that fall into a huge gray area. Some SO's might give a PE here. Others might not - ruling that there's nothing that prevents a shooter from making up shots on a target while on the move. (assuming the required # of shots were taken from cover, as required in the COF.)

It depends on the stage discription, most of the time it will say engage target from cover. In fact I think it's in the new rules that the SO must indicate the postion of cover for each target. So if they tell you where the cover is, and you leave that and reengage a target you should get a pe.

I'll continue to do what I've always done at sanctioned matches. I'll ask the SO's questions to figure out what they are letting people do. Because everyone seems to have there own idea of what the rules are.

I'll have to check the rules for a specific cover position being specified. If that's true and the shooter cannot use his discretion in where he stands in relationship to the cover as long as he is not exposed to any threats...that's lame. Sounds like shooting boxes.....

So there we go again with SO's having a lot of leeway. I'm an SO, so don't get me wrong, I like having better defined rules, but I also am not such a fan of more strictly defined procedures for shooters to follow in a stage. We're not yet at the point of the CoF drawing have X's to reprsent the only place you can stand and shoot and dotted lines showing the path you MUST take as you navigate the course, but we inch closer.

I believe in not crowding cover. My defined points of cover will allow enough radius to do so. Then it is up to me as the course designer to make sure you cannot use that leeway for an unforseen advantage.

My defined points of cover will allow enough radius to do so. Then it is up to me as the course designer to make sure you cannot use that leeway for an unforseen advantage.

I think that is the key to things running smooth. But it does seem to put a lot on the match staff.

Having read all the post in the discussion all's I can say is after shooting kentuckyana this past weekend, I tried my best to be flat footed at all times unless I was caught out in the open and while I did not get any PE for it, some other people did.

It sucks I don't know why they changed it, but from what I seen it leveled the playing field for those none athletic types that do not move very fast but shoot accurate as all hell & allot of times got beat by the guy that moved & shoots like lighting

but has a ton of points down. Suddenly your speed really doesn't make up ground any more. Just my thought~

Having read all the post in the discussion all's I can say is after shooting kentuckyana this past weekend, I tried my best to be flat footed at all times unless I was caught out in the open and while I did not get any PE for it, some other people did.

It sucks I don't know why they changed it, but from what I seen it leveled the playing field for those none athletic types that do not move very fast but shoot accurate as all hell & allot of times got beat by the guy that moved & shoots like lighting

but has a ton of points down. Suddenly your speed really doesn't make up ground any more. Just my thought~

Odd, I would expect the opposite. Standing reloads to me would help the fast guys. Stand here hit your reload, and haul ass to the next position. As opposed to a smooth reload on the move that doesn't need to be as fast. The key is to be done when you get to the next position.

Fast guys are fast no matter what you make them do. Somebody who has perfected his reload while hauling ass has eliminated a time element. Simple math really. .7sec reload + 3 second sprint vs 3 second sprint while doing the reload at the same time.

Lots of PEs called yesterday at the NM state match for reloads. I didn't get one, but saw several. They explained it before the match that if you move BOTH feet at all while doing a reload, the finger came out. Moving ONE foot was OK. Not a big deal to me at all.