Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drop in trigger jobs by Dale Rhea

kevin c

Just put the 2.5 "stock" kit in my G35 "open" gun, and it's great. Expensive, but worth it IMO. No problem popping all primers I've tried, including WWB 100 pack. I wouldn't want it any lighter, and it's soooo...smooth. Ordered it on a Friday night via internet (B&B), it shipped the next day, and I had it on Monday! Fast service, great product, highly recommended!

Larry :D

great product, highly recommended!

larry,

have you ever tried the vanek trigger setup? i'm curious how dale's trigger compares with charlies. i have the vanek trigger and love it. but i shoot a lot of gssf matches and the vanek trigger is not allowed in the stock classes but dale's is.

thanks

driver8M3,

No, I've never tried the Vanek trigger job, but I have heard (on this forum) that it is the best. The reason I chose the Dale Rhea "drop-in" over the Vanek trigger job is, (a. No waiting or gun shipping, and (b. I tried a friends and loved it, and it popped WWB primers everytime. I understand the Vanek needs Federal primers to be 100% reliable. (ICBW?) Rhea's kit does recommend Fed. primers, but my friend and I have found it reliable with anything.

Keep in mind, I have the 2.5 lb. "Stock" trigger job kit, not the competition kit. Reliability is my #1 priority. My trigger is so light now, I wouldn't want it any lighter. I can only imagine what the competition trigger job is like!!! :o

Larry

I understand the Vanek needs Federal primers to be 100% reliable. (ICBW?)

i've used blazer, federal, winchester and s & b factory ammo with my vanek trigger without any issues. and i've shot about 8000 reloads using winchester primers...also no problems.

Rack & Roll

Just out of curiosity where did you get your understanding about the Vanek triggers from?

Rack & Roll States:

I understand the Vanek needs Federal primers to be 100% reliable.

While I dont own a RHEA trigger I plan on getting one for a NIB G34, Once I get it I will compare and contrast with my other Glock triggers. I have had trigger jobs from DMW, CGR, Novak and Vanek an I can state from personal experience that the Vanek trigger will light any primer even SMALL RIFLE when using a Glock factory slide. When I was using the Top Fuel trigger's in my 34 and 35 both of them worked reliably only with Federal Small pistol primers.

The article in Front Sight states that Dale's trigger needs to be "adjusted" after a period of use. I'm not sure what that means, but it does kind of negate the "drop in" nature of the kit.

Considering that, after shipping, Charlie Vanek's trigger job is only a few bucks more, it seems like the better option. You don't even have to do the work.

I, like Driver, am looking for a GSSF legal trigger job, and like R&R, find the idea of a readily available drop in package appealing.

I probably won't drive my 35 as hard as some, so the long term durability of a hard used trigger job isn't as critical to me. Still, it'd be good to get some sense of what kind of "adjustment" is needed, and after how many rounds.

I'd hoped that Dale's work had been around and circulated enough for some folks to have practical experience with them, but if his trigger jobs are all new to Glock shooters, then there maybe hasn't been enough time for anything more than first impressions.

Time will tell...

I polished thru the plating to get really smooth surfaces. Install a lighter striker spring and a heavier trigger spring. Polish the cruciform sear (do not change the angle or round the sharp upper edge), under the cruciform where it contacts the connector, the connector, the firing pin safety (clip off 2 coils of the firing pin safety spring) and polish the trigger bar where it contacts the firing pin safety, polish the part of the cruciform that is the drop safety. Grind the striker arm on the left side at a 45 degree angle and polish the striker where it contacts the cruciform sear. Polish the striker at the back flats and in the front where it will make contact with the channel liner.

See:

http://www.sportshooter.com/gssf/dalerhea_dremeling.htm

Scroll to Trigger Group then Modifying the Srtiker.

Rack & Roll

Just out of curiosity where did you get your understanding about the Vanek triggers from?

Rack & Roll States:

I understand the Vanek needs Federal primers to be 100% reliable.

Raul,

My understanding was based on rumors and hearsay from some guys I asked at my local club. I was wrong. Imagine that. (I did say it was just "my understanding", not a proven fact.) Makes me wish I had waited to find out, and then sent my gun to Vaneck. I am however, very happy with the Dale Rhea trigger job, though it's a little disconcerting to hear it will need to be

"adjusted" after some use. Adjusted how? Can anyone shed some light on how and when to adjust the DR trigger? Thanks.

Larry

I guess one of these days I am just going to post pictures and detailed steps as to the process required to do the various trigger jobs. I see the prices charged by some of these "gunsmiths" and come away just shaking my head.

It is not that hard to get a 1 lb. Glock trigger. Just remember the principle of a lever.

I am pleased that people are interested in my drop-in trigger kits. I want to take this opportunity to correct a misconception about the need for adjustment. My trigger kits use standard Glock parts and will need no more adjustment than a standard Glock trigger.

Robin Taylor in his great article in Front Sight Magazine said that “the literature says it will need adjusting after a few thousands rounds” This is a slight misquotation. Here is a copy of the enclosed instructions that accompany each trigger kit.

Congratulations on the purchase of a “Rhea Gun” Unlimited competition trigger.

These parts replace the standard trigger parts in your small frame Glock pistol. Have them installed by a competent person. Make sure the pistol is kept clean and properly lubricated. Any dirt or lubricant in the firing pin tunnel can cause malfunction such as light strikes and misfires.

The drop-in trigger components were designed to work together as a group. If you mix other parts into the group they may not function as intended.

This trigger job will require periodic maintenance. After several thousand rounds the contact surfaces will need to be polished in order to restore that “like new” feel. Be careful when polishing that you do not change the angles of the contact surfaces on the firing pin and the trigger bar.

For best results I recommend Federal pistol primers.

Parts list

Trigger bar

Trigger spring

Connector

Firing pin

Firing pin spring

Spring cups

Spacer sleeve

I hope this will answer your questions.

I don’t know how long a trigger kit will last. I have never worn one out. Before going to a match that I care about I will touch up the finish on the trigger parts.

Regards

Dale

I am pleased that people are interested in my drop-in trigger kits. I want to take this opportunity to correct a misconception about the need for adjustment. My trigger kits use standard Glock parts and will need no more adjustment than a standard Glock trigger.

Robin Taylor in his great article in Front Sight Magazine said that “the literature says it will need adjusting after a few thousands rounds” This is a slight misquotation. Here is a copy of the enclosed instructions that accompany each trigger kit.

Congratulations on the purchase of a “Rhea Gun” Unlimited competition trigger.

These parts replace the standard trigger parts in your small frame Glock pistol. Have them installed by a competent person. Make sure the pistol is kept clean and properly lubricated. Any dirt or lubricant in the firing pin tunnel can cause malfunction such as light strikes and misfires.

The drop-in trigger components were designed to work together as a group. If you mix other parts into the group they may not function as intended.

This trigger job will require periodic maintenance. After several thousand rounds the contact surfaces will need to be polished in order to restore that “like new” feel. Be careful when polishing that you do not change the angles of the contact surfaces on the firing pin and the trigger bar.

Parts list

Trigger bar

Trigger spring

Connector

Firing pin

Firing pin spring

Spring cups

Spacer sleeve

I hope this will answer your questions.

I don’t know how long a trigger kit will last. I have never worn one out. Before going to a match that I care about I will touch up the finish on the trigger parts.

Regards

Dale

Thanks for posting Dale! I'll need to try a kit.

Cy

Based on what Dale has posted I actually changed my mind about buying this trigger. All of the under 2 pound trigger jobs that I have had done there has also been work done on the Trigger Housing since Rhea isn’t providing one then I don’t believe it's worth purchasing the GSSF Stock Legal trigger when one factors in the price of $195.00 and the primer limitation.

Dale Rhea States:

Parts list

Trigger bar

Trigger spring

Connector

Firing pin

Firing pin spring

Spring cups

Spacer sleeve

For example an apples to apples comparison CGR offers the Stock Racer trigger for $85.00 if you factor in the shipping which will run roughly $30.00 each way you still end up saving $50.00.

http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi...011&PROD=000040 CGR Stock Racer Trigger Price

http://bb-enterprise.biz/item155865.ctlg Dale Rhea GSSF Trigger Price

I have seen in the Vanek where there is a couple of set screws in the trigger mechanism housing (as an over travel stop)in the slot where edge of the cruciform is between them. Can somebody tell me how you drill holes in there and they be straight to install the set screws?

I have been playing with a Dale Rhea Glock unlimited trigger in a Glock 22, for a few days, the first 500 round I used were primed with Winchester Small rifle primers and I had about 1% light strikes which is understandable, I then went over to Winchester Small pistol primers and have not had one light strike or any other problems in almost 1500 rounds.

The trigger has only improved with use, it is still a Glock trigger, if you know what I mean, however it would be hard to imagine anything much better.

• 2 weeks later...
Any dirt or lubricant in the firing pin tunnel can cause malfunction such as light strikes and misfires.

This trigger job will require periodic maintenance. After several thousand rounds the contact surfaces will need to be polished in order to restore that “like new” feel.

Regards

Dale

Greetings, Dale and fellow Glockers!

Many thanx for your clarification concerning the confusion about adjustment, and your reminder to clean the firing pin tunnel!

I 've been using your 2.5# drop-in trigger kit and it has functioned flawlessly for about 1,500 rounds. However, today I experienced 10 light primer strikes (primer did not ignite) out of 200 rounds. Also, the trigger gradually began to feel much heavier, loading up toward the end of the pull.

I field strip and clean all of the visible contact surfaces (connector, cruciform, bar, etc.) after each practice, but I've never cleaned the firing pin tunnel. Guess what? After thoroughly cleaning the firing pin tunnel, the trigger has returned to its original light, smooth pull, and the light primer strikes appear to be corrected. I had only 20 rounds left for a brief test fire, so I don't know for sure. I was surprised to learn that a slightly dirty firing pin tunnel could make such a huge difference!

I also experienced what I think is an unrelated problem by installing a 13# spring. On several instances, the slide would not fully close into battery. It lacked only about 1/4 inch or less. All it needed to go into battery each time was a very gentle push on the back of the slide. I've gone back to a 15# spring, hoping that this will fix it.

I hope the problems don't reappear at my weekend match tomorrow morning!!

I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my first match today with the Rhea gun unlimited trigger. The first stage was 26 rounds......................14 light strikes with Federal small rifle primers. I don't get it, Vanek triggers @ 1.5 lbs will set off Federal small rifle primers all day long. 2.3 lb Rhea trigger and can't even get through one stage. And yes, the firing pin tunnel was cleaned prior to installation. My homebrew trigger job @ 2.8 lbs will pop small rifle no problem. Anybody got any ideas?

DaG