Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Tojan 5.0 vs Dan Wesson Pm9 9mm

anderson22

for the price difference, you can easily throw in and incredibly nice trigger and have someone throw checkering on the front strap. Even though the STI has mim parts, they are still good parts, and they most likely won't brake.

Sti does have good MIM parts, but theyre still mim. Anderson asked what was better, not what was better value (even though thats still the DW in my opinion)

Youre looking at $150 or so for checkering, plus $100 or so for trigger parts alone plus install if you arent the diy type.. plus shipping if someone isnt close who can do those things.

The DW is stainless, I have no idea if they make a stainless Trojan, but the hardchrome also adds to the price if you dont want blued.

The downside to the PM9? They can be harder to get than STI.

Over on the 1911 Forum, there was a pretty extensive discussion on steel; bar stock, cast, mim, etc.

Good MIM is better than poor bar stock. So blanket condemnation of MIM may not always be applicable.

That said, I replaced all my Trojan parts with SV parts.

Knowing what I know now, I would not buy another Trojan. They are fine pistols for the money but for more money there are better pistols.

Even though the STI has mim parts, they are still good parts

This doesn't make sense to me. Please explain....
Mim parts aren't bad by any means if they are made correctly, they aren't cast but they still work. If you really worried about the internals, swap them out if they ever break, or simply buy the package that fits your needs. Edited by dafdov368

Mim parts aren't bad by any means if they are made correctly, they aren't cast but they still work. If you really worried about the internals, swap them out if they ever break, or simply buy the package that fits your needs.

I've never had a competition 1911 that has had MIM and it last. Period. It needs to be replaced if you actually shoot your gun.

Mim parts aren't bad by any means if they are made correctly, they aren't cast but they still work. If you really worried about the internals, swap them out if they ever break, or simply buy the package that fits your needs.
I've never had a competition 1911 that has had MIM and it last. Period. It needs to be replaced if you actually shoot your gun.

Those are pretty strong words.

I have shot the wheels off my Trojan, and it still runs and runs.

So if anything, I'd say its a case by case scenario.